Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Default mclean creek OHV

can someone please tell me if its legal to shoot inside the mclean creek OHV area i have read the regulations and i get a little confuzed with FLUZ and forest recreation areas and such any help greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 PM

no shooting in recreation areas.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Where does it say you cant hunt in there??? I would love for you to show me you cant. I have seen many hunters in there.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyCrow View Post
can someone please tell me if its legal to shoot inside the mclean creek OHV area i have read the regulations and i get a little confuzed with FLUZ and forest recreation areas and such any help greatly appreciated
Legal

Stay away from the Mclean Creek CAMPGROUND as directed by signage. If memory serves me right it is 1K.

Some of the Oil leases are closed to the public

Cut lines trails,clear cuts and bush are open during legal hunting seasons provided you have the appropriate tag
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Portions of the OHV area are designated Provincial Recreation Area. As per the regs, "It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within a forest recreation area. It is also unlawful to "dress" a big game animal within a forest recreation area." Not all of McLean Creek, just the rec areas, ie McLean Pond, Mesa Butte.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

i know this has nothing to do with mclean creek, but since you say we cant discharge a firearm in recreational area,what about the natural area in red water were everyone goes quading , can we hunt in there?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM

There is a gravel pit not far from the campground, accessable by 4x4. Everyone shoots up there. Hard to explain the directions but only about 4 or 5 klicks south and a couple east up the hill. Not sure if thats still considered rec area or not.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Some of these designated rec areas can be very tricky to discover. Most heavily used rec areas, like McLean Creek or in Kananaskis, are fairly well signed. Others are next to impossible. If in doubt, call your local F&W office. Usually they consist of campground areas, fishing ponds and other generally heavy public use areas. I'm not aware of any OHV trails that are restricted.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM

Go to Mclean Creek and pick up an info map, that will tell you all need to know, and oh ya stay out of my spot!