Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Default First time bear hunter.

I have hunted alberta all my life, and have only seen two bears while hunting one south of Fox Creek, and one south of Edson. This year I decided I would like to rifle hunt my first bear. Down the road I'll use my bow. I don't know very much about it other than what I've watched or read. I was wondering if their is anyone or a guide that wouldn't mind teaching someone. I would like to learn everything from putting out baits, and skinning out bears. I have three daughters and the all want a bear rug for their beds. Any info would help, Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:43 PM

I Saw three bears on Sunday...raggedy lokking..

I'd be up for a hunt this fall if you like...I have no doubts the offers will pour in. I don't bait however...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post

I'd be up for a hunt this fall if you like...I have no doubts the offers will pour in. I don't bait however...

Probably your best chance of getting a bear. Lots more up there, than around Thorsby.

Grizz
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM

I would suggest to just get out there and start doing it. I like you have hunted all of my life but have never hunted bears, until four years ago. Then decided it would be nice to get out in the spring and do some hunting, and so it began. Every year you learn a little more and every year you seem to see a few more bears. Talk to other hunters you meet and the oilfield operators they are usually happy to stop and b.s. for a bit and let you know where they have been seeing bears. This year on a three day hunt, saw 19 bears(including cubs and sub adults) and finally harvested a my first bear.
As far as skinning goes my taxi said to do the best that you can, cut the head and paws off with the hide(he would skin them) and salt the hide real good or keep it on ice and that he would fix anything i screwed up. I was lucky enough to run into a guy who knew what he was doing, and he helped me drink a pile of beer and skin my bear.
A couple of good places to start looking might be Swan Hills or Winifred Lake areas. Good time to go is the last week of May or the first week of June when the pipeline right of ways are greening up and the dandi lions are coming out. If you go much later the hides are starting to get rubbed pretty good.
I hope this helps a bit, spring bear hunting is a lot of fun and you will enjoy doing it.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Guess I should go talk to a few taxidermists before I go out. Wasn't sure it was safe to eat bears out of Swanhills. Got lots of bear recipes and want to give it a try.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post

Sounds like fun. I take it you spot and stalk, could be interesting.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM

one way or the other ...it's ALWAYS interesting...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM

What time of the year is best for fall bear. What zone do you hunt in, so I can check it out. Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
What time of the year is best for fall bear. What zone do you hunt in, so I can check it out. Thanks
for fall bear, I guess I really prefer the time of the year just beforwe winter...but after summer...

I kid I kid...

drop mE a pm..we'll work it out...

Tags
bear, hunting