Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Anybody fish lake winnipeg?

Headed out to lake Winnipeg This weekend, traverse bay area to a friends cabin. Hes got a brand new boat too, so should be a great week. I'm lookin for any advice on where to fish and what to use? Ect.. All your comments are appreciated. Thanks guys -Trey
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Smile

A friend of mine is out there right now. I just sent him a text he said that the lake is high, but fishing is good. He caught most of his pike on the little pike lure called the Storm Wild Eye Live Pike. You can get them at Bass Pro for $4.49 for a 2 pack of 6" lures.

http://www.basspro.com/STORM-WildEye...58659/-1106719

Now here is a tip for you on these lures. Buy a large box of rubber worms from Bass Pro. I think you can get them on sale for about $15 for about 40 of them. The tail of this pike lure will get chewed off quickly. So bring along a Bic lighter. Cut off the tail from the rubber worm. Attach it to the chewed pike lure by using a Bic lighter. You get a modified lure that will keep working again and again. When that tail gets chewed then just melt another onto it.

Have a great time.

Rob
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Parkers minnows and pink 1/4 oz jig heads. Parkers are readily available everywhere there. But to be safe stop by Cabelas in Winnpeg.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM

I find salted minnows to be better walleye catchers than Parkers any day of the week. I just bought a tub of Parkers today as that was all I could get for my fishing outing tomorrow, so I'll see how they pan out.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Never fished Traverse Bay , but spent many many hours fishing the pier at Victoria Beach. Summer road closure so need to drive down David's Road til the closure boundary and walk in the last few km. Great for kids. Pickerel rigs and minnows off of the south side of the dock 2/3rds way down. PERCH heaven. Also pickerel is you can cast out far enough. Odd Sheepshead as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 PM

You guys are awesome! I've used those little rubber pikes before you can get walleye and perch ones too but I've never thought to melt a new tail on, and we actually have two boats, a small zodiac with an outboard and about a 22' fancy ass wakeboarding style boat with fish finder and a Volvo v8. Now is there a boat launch at Vic beach or should we travel by water there, and is there good spots in between
Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Back from my fishing outing last night and all the Parker Minnows were the size of small creek chubs but I still landed 3 walleye's and 2 pike. They still are not my preferred minnows as they are much too large. I think they would be better suited if only rigged up for pike.