Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM

Default registering old guns?

So i know a guy who got his past grandfathers rifle and would like to register it. I know this probly gets asked a lot but the gun was never registered before. Is he gonna have any problems getting it done? I don't have the answers for him so i told him i'd ask on here. Thanks guys jay
Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Sorry. Please disregard as i did a search and found what he needed to know. thanks anyhow. jay
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM

I heard that there is a 2 year amnesty for guns that were never registered before. Ask the local gunshop, where ever you are about it or , here is the number for the RCMP gun registry....... 1-800-731-4000.

Cheers
Darren
Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Sorry. Please disregard as i did a search and found what he needed to know. thanks anyhow. jay
what kind of gun and what was the answer?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM

For those that do not know - Non restricted firearms can be registered whenever with no penalty due to the amnesty which I beleive came into effect in 2006? and has been extended annually until May 16 or 17 of 2010. (I might be a little wrong on the dates) as long as you have a valid PAL or POL

If firearms are really old, such as one I have, that doesn't not have any serial number, they will make one up for it, and send you this little black sticker which you are "supposed" to stick on the firearm as identification. The only thing is, they sticker a) doesn't stick b) if it does, it falls off.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
For those that do not know - Non restricted firearms can be registered whenever with no penalty due to the amnesty which I beleive came into effect in 2006? and has been extended annually until May 16 or 17 of 2010. (I might be a little wrong on the dates) as long as you have a valid PAL or POL

If firearms are really old, such as one I have, that doesn't not have any serial number, they will make one up for it, and send you this little black sticker which you are "supposed" to stick on the firearm as identification. The only thing is, they sticker a) doesn't stick b) if it does, it falls off.
I just registered two without a problem that were given to me by a friend. i had to pick them up from the RCMP as they had been seized some time ago. A very simple process. I was very surprised at how easy it was to do.
One was a .22 without a serial number. They just registered it without the serial number, no grief what so ever.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Don't they need to know who gave it to you? Do you have to provide them with that info? If someone gave me an old shotgun, and I want to register it, don't they want to know who gave it to you?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 AM

I dont think I supplied that info but all info is online at

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/o...enr-eng.htm#a1
Old 02-28-2010, 10:08 AM

why don't you wait a month or two to see if the registry gets scrapped like promised by the conservatives and go from there?