Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 AM

Default PET Diploma

I am 19 years old, pretty much fresh out of high school, and new to Alberta from B.C. I am looking into taking the Power Engineering Technology Diploma at NAIT. I have been told if you have maintenance experience it is a pretty easy transition, however being right out of high school the only job I have done is a labourer for a construction company. Hoping to maybe find a few people on here that have taken it and could give some insight into how the course is.

Thank you.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 AM

Welcome aboard.

Try a search, many threads on it already. If you can do the course at nait and be able to survive living wise than go for it. I want to do it as well but can't afford.the pay cut to start off.

A few guys are in the field and will chime in. Best of luck. Let us know how it is of you do go for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM

SAIT used to offer the process operators course which when completed gave you your 4th with eligability to write the first part of your third. It might be worth looking at. They have a good job placement as well which helps.

Or you can take a two year course and complete your 3rd class ticket with eligability to write the first exam of your second I think
Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Thank you for the welcome. Luckily the money isn't a problem which is why I am looking at the two year course instead of just getting my fourth. I will definitely let you know how it is if I do it.

I'm just curious to know if it is difficult coming right out of high school with no experience in any relative fields.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM

I have read the math is a stumbling block for some. How is yours?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 PM

I'm thinking that by going straight from high school to NAIT you would find it easier. Math and physics and such are a lot fresher for you than someone who graduated 10-15 years ago.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM

If you are accepted, you can pass no problem.

The issue really is not your ability, intelligence, or even aptitude. The real issue is how much you drink and chase those nasty girls. I suppose you could be an XBox nerd that can't put the controller down too.

It will all come down to your discipline, or lack of. Treat it like a 9-5 job, and you will be very successful.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM

If you want to do the 2 year program, go to Medicine Hat College...way better program.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs View Post
If you want to do the 2 year program, go to Medicine Hat College...way better program.
I was looking into that because I figured it might be cheaper to stay there than in Edmonton. What makes the medicine hat program better?

Appreciate the advice thank you guys.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM

2 year SAIT program has a real good reputation. Steam time included,I took the Process Operation course (10months)the instructors where incredible

Check out Sait,Nait Medicine Hat and Lakeland college all offer good programs
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Dont waste yur time and money with the 2 year course in my opinion. Take the 10 month power engineering course, you come out with your 4th and part A of your 3rd. Tons of work out there, and great money. I took the CET course (2year and had no problem finding work) and wish I had of taken the 10month PET (mind you that was 9 years ago) ... 10months means faster placement into the workplace, and less bills piling up from schooling costs.. Either way you go, you are making a wise decision, and will reap the benifits for years to come.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 PM

The main reason I was leaning towards the two year program is that I really didn't do that great in math, and didn't even take physics(so will have to now), so figured the more I can do in school the better. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil View Post
I was looking into that because I figured it might be cheaper to stay there than in Edmonton. What makes the medicine hat program better?

Appreciate the advice thank you guys.
Definitely I would recommend doing a 2 year program and getting your 3rd or half your 2nd. 4ths are a dime a dozen and it is tough to get a job with a 4th and no experience. Husky Thermal won't even look at your resume unless you've got 3rd and working on 2nd.(not saying they are the "leader" of the pack, but I'm familiar with what they are looking for right now)

I took the power program at MHC for a year, didn't have my sheet together and had to leave. They meant business and are serious about creating knowledgeable professionals that contribute to their employers immediately out of school.
I then went to SIAST and got my 4th. Decent program but their lab facilities at the time were poor.
I would not recommend Lakeland College I've had practicum students from there for the last 4 years and they struggle. I took the 3rd Night program there...waste of money, I was correcting the teachers examples as he was trying to teach it.

Rambling a bit...end of a night shift! PM me if you have any more questions I can help with. Good Luck.