Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Looking at a new truck - gas or diesel

Looking into purchasing a new truck. What are pro and cons of gas or diesel? I was thinking of going diesel. 2500 or 3500. I have a new trailer and eventually want a box platform to put a quad on. Feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Go diesel

I recently did alot of research on diesel vs. gasoline and overall diesel is far better, wile the unweighted acceleration is not as good as it is with gas if you are towing a trailer diesel beats gas. Also diesel gets far better MPG's than gas and is also far safer, more reliable and will last longer than gasoline engines. They may cost more in the start but over the life of your truck(which will be far longer with a diesel) you will save money.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM

I don't disagree with you, but can you expand on this..

Quote:
also far safer,
I will also be going diesel when I replace my existing 3/4 gas. The big reason I went gas was because of the diesel smell (idling in traffic with windows down sucks). But that was because in my price range at the time, I was looking at pre-07 trucks. The new diesels are quite different.

I'll get to experience diesel goodness this weekend, as we're towing to Kelowna with a new f350. It might be an expensive trip for me..lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm with Smac on the diesel choice except for the empty acceleration thing....you can make your diesel pretty scary.

Definately 1 ton if you're looking at both.

When things break....they ain't like fixin' a 1/2 ton. Can get pretty pricey.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac531 View Post
I recently did alot of research on diesel vs. gasoline and overall diesel is far better, wile the unweighted acceleration is not as good as it is with gas if you are towing a trailer diesel beats gas. Also diesel gets far better MPG's than gas and is also far safer, more reliable and will last longer than gasoline engines. They may cost more in the start but over the life of your truck(which will be far longer with a diesel) you will save money.
I'm not a big fan of diesel myself but I have to agree with this. They cost more to buy but apparently last longer. Better gas mileage and I believe diesel is still cheaper than gas. They have great torque.

Cons...they sound crappy IMO, not as much HP, more expensive to buy and also to service I believe. Personal choice. My choice would be and has been gas.

"From my cold dead hands!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Thomas Jefferson
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often
and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...s/viewall.html
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'm not a big fan of diesel myself but I have to agree with this. They cost more to buy but apparently last longer. Better gas mileage and I believe diesel is still cheaper than gas. They have great torque.

Cons...they sound crappy IMO, not as much HP, more expensive to buy and also to service I believe. Personal choice. My choice would be and has been gas.
???? WTH ????

Check out this: Diesel Performance for pure HP numbers... No way that you can get a gasser up to those levels (I don't think anyway?)

I love my 2500 3/4 ton diesel. Could care less about the smell in traffic (the exhaust is at the other end) and the thumping sound of a diesel will always turn my head no matter what brand.

Anytime a gasser truck is capable of a run out to Vancouver Island and get 25 MPG, and yet still haul 10,000 lbs and get 18-20 MPG.... than I'll look at a gasser....

J.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM

I've owned plenty of both. If you don't tow 10,000 lb or more at least sometimes, I don't see the point of buying diesel.

Otherwise, real trucks don't have spark plugs.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I've owned plenty of both. If you don't tow 10,000 lb or more at least sometimes, I don't see the point of buying diesel.

Otherwise, real trucks don't have spark plugs.
I agree 100%
gas for a commuter and diesel if your actually going to work it!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM

If you are towing and hauling ATV's I'd go diesel. I replaced my 2003 6.0 litre GMC 2500 last year with a 2011 2500HD Duramax. There is no comparison when it comes to towing my older 22ft bumper hitch trailer (at least 5500lbs loaded, maybe 6000) with two Honda Rubicons on the deck of the truck and probably 500 lbs of gear and fuel under the deck. The old truck struggled even with new hi-flow cats and 3" Dynomax exhaust, cold air intake, throttle body spacer and Cortex tuned for towing. Mileage was about 8 mpg loaded.

The Duramax tows like it's empty and runs about 15 mpg loaded. If you tow a lot the power and torque is sure nice to have but for an everyday driver that tows smaller trailers occasionally I'd go gas every time. Gas trucks are better around town, more throttle response and smoother running.

Although when running empty there's not much difference in mileage, the Duramax will occasionally go under 12 L/100K on the hiway in the summer,..in the winter it runs around 13.5 L/100K

You're mileage may vary....;-)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
???? WTH ????

Check out this: Diesel Performance for pure HP numbers... No way that you can get a gasser up to those levels (I don't think anyway?)

I love my 2500 3/4 ton diesel. Could care less about the smell in traffic (the exhaust is at the other end) and the thumping sound of a diesel will always turn my head no matter what brand.

Anytime a gasser truck is capable of a run out to Vancouver Island and get 25 MPG, and yet still haul 10,000 lbs and get 18-20 MPG.... than I'll look at a gasser....

J.
Pretty sure he's talking STOCK. Otherwise I could pull out some twin charged 6L making WAY more hp than diesel.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:

2012 sierras came with a 360hp, 380 ft-lbs gas engine, or a 397hp, 765 ft-lbs diesel.

I'd take diesel
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Well actually gas engine will almost always have more horsepower than a diesel engine of the same size. Sure you can punch a diesel up in HP but you can punch a gas engine up just as easily. Look at these numbers from that comparison link...

GM 6.0L Gasoline
Horsepower, hp @ rpm: 300 @ 4400
Torque, lb-ft @ rpm: 360 @ 4000

GM 6.6L Turbodiesel
Horsepower, hp @ rpm: 300 @ 3100
Torque, lb-ft @ rpm: 520 @ 1800

Throw a comparable turbo on that gas engine and your gonna be making 500 hp likely. As I said, gas = more HP, diesel = more torque.

Have a look at monster trucks, they all are running over 1500 HP with gas engines.

Last edited by Cyclops; 12-04-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well actually gas engine will almost always have more horsepower than a diesel engine of the same size. Sure you can punch a diesel up in HP but you can punch a gas engine up just as easily. Look at these numbers from that comparison link...

GM 6.0L Gasoline

GM 6.6L Turbodiesel

Throw a comparable turbo on that gas engine and your gonna be making 500 hp likely. As I said, gas = more HP, diesel = more torque.
Ok, yep I agree.... But at what cost to the gas engine? It's not originally designed to handle that amount of HP, so chance of breaking it is increased, leading to not-so-longevity and additional cost.

OP originally asked for opinions on gas VS diesel. I agree with most here; if you're going to buy stock and use it for hauling loads, diesel is MY preferred choice - that's all.

J.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I agree with most here; if you're going to buy stock and use it for hauling loads, diesel is MY preferred choice - that's all.

J.
Yea, it's a personal choice. There's nothing wrong with diesel. I like gas but I know diesel has some advantages, particularly if you're doing a lot of hauling. My trucks are generally just for hauling my tools and maybe some wood, not much if any serious hauling. If I did more of that I'd probably look at diesel too. Comes down to choice and what you need the truck for.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM

duramax convert here!
bought a 2006 of a farmer who used it to pull a fifth wheel cattle hauler.
4x4, 4 dr, with 160k for 14000. boxliner, I put brakes, discs and $2500 of other stuff. Its beat up enough i dont feel bad about twig scratches and stable enough to drive from aden to manning at a turn of the key.
Ive since added front/ rear winches and such.
who needs more HP, even factory this thing has astounding ability to pass vehicles when its needed.

my suggestion is to go with a auto tranny and leave the old fashioned manual stick for real diesel trucks. ( i despise manual trans...ewwww)
the allison is a amazing peice of engineering, the tow/haul, trans brakes and lockup many other features make driving it a dream.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Have had 2 Cummins Diesels now. Awsome milage on both.

However if you will never need the pulling power, and get rid of vehicles after a few years, it will be very hard to recoup the price difference between gas and diesel on fuel economy.

As for me, climbing the Coquahala out of Kamlooops at 100Km + steady with a big boat behind, sort of justifies it. That and my '03 is in excess of 360 K now. Gassers just don't do that.

That being said, sequential valve selection has gassers getting up to 30 mpg these days, when driven empty, and good power when under load.

What do you want it to do and for how long?

Drewski
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM

I don't think enough people pay attention to axle ratios - gas or diesel.

It's important.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Think about repairs on your diesel $$$$$$$$.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:

GM 6.0L Gasoline

GM 6.6L Turbodiesel

Have a look at monster trucks, they all are running over 1500 HP with gas engines.

You can upgrade them both just as easily but the diesel will have a much higher boost in horsepower and in torque.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Have both and if you are not running free fuel in your diesel most of the time cant really see how you can justify driving one. I guess if you have a huge trailer that you use allot maybe you could make the case. Mileage is going to be very comparable and towing mileage will be comparable. Unless you are running a dually towing limits for bumper pull is even comparable.
Saying all that I love my diesel and have money to burn I guess.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM

it seems to me nowadays the motor will run fine by the time the rest of your truck is wore out. i drive gas at home and diesel at work i dont know if the fuel milage is significantly better wiyh diesel. with deisel and a lot of 4wd your front end drivetrain wears out fast i dont know about gas but i think it will last a lot longer.gas clears your wind sheild faster. we only use diesel because everything else is diesel and the clients supply it. if i remember correctly when they had a 454 in a chev and people thought they had lots of power it was 240 horse. mine is 300 something. i personaly would not buy one. they are are also heavy and costly of course
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

GM 6.0L Gasoline

GM 6.6L Turbodiesel

To make that kind of HP, they are not running pump gas. More likely some form of nitro-methane or nitrous, and highly supercharged.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Roll on over to dieselpower.com mag or Diesel world mag and you will have your eyes opened to the potential of these newer diesels. Ive got an 08 duramax with a few add-ons and puts an ear to ear grin when ever I drive it. I dont think there's really any other choice if you want a vehicle that can do pretty much everything. You can have a 900hp truck as your comfortable daily driver if you want.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Wow, lots of food for thought. I think I will most likely go with a gas engine. I haul my trailer 2-3 hours at most to our camping spots from lethbridge. I don't haul no 10,000lb loads either and won't use it for work. I think you guys have made me made up my mind. Thanks for everything
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned

If you don't drive the newer diesels enough the cat won't get hot enough, and you end up plugging it. This costs lots to replace.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM

If you go heavy duty, get the diesel. I went from Ford F350 diesel to RAM 2500 hemi and have been regretting it lately, like every time I drive it now. Fuel mileage is horrible, truck revs to 3000 to climb any sort of grade when empty. And I agree with what rocky said about gear ratio. My 3/4 has 3.73 rear end, my half ton hemi has 3.92 rear end, the half ton drives way better as in acceleration and tows the camper easier, and it even has 35 inch tires vs the 265/70r17 which is basically a 31.5

Get the diesel and don't look back, except at the gasser you pass while hauling a load up a hill lol
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

would not have tried this with the gas jobber, sounds like the gas was the right choice for you though.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM

Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Pretty sure he's talking STOCK. Otherwise I could pull out some twin charged 6L making WAY more hp than diesel.
My stock 2012 F350 has 400hp... If I put a chip in it I can pull conservatively 50 or more ponies (probably alot more) out of it..

oh yes and its about as quiet as my brother in laws 2500 Denali gas job he got at the same time.