Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Check this out!!!!one old pistol..

The story from the old boy is as follows,

The gun is from somewhere over in the IRAN area{Ivory Coast}.It is from somewhere in the 1800s era.It was a captins gun on a pirate ship,I guess it was called a Duelling Pistol.He wants to sell it to me.What do you fellas think is a fair price for this pistol.It is totally operational,both hammers come back and lock into place and both triggers fire.It is obviously more of a collectors piece but i think would be neat to fire and old pistol like this.The handle is full of carved ivory,with some ingravings on it but no date or make obviously.

I may buy it but i may not,if there is someone interested let me know.

Now i just need a ohnest dollar valve of what a piece like this would be worth,Any help appreciated.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM

I don't have any background qualifications to back this up, but I would be very careful spending big bucks on this. I just got back from the Middle East, and the markets there are literally full of pistols that look EXACTLY like this one.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 AM

Proceed with caution. There are many "antiques" coming out of Africa and the Middle East that are well made replicas that have been turned out in the past 30 years. A buddy of mine found what he thought was a really old musket with a good investment value, but the reality was that it was only about 20 years old. It was made specifically to scam a collector. Came from the Ivory Coast area.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post

The story from the old boy is as follows,

The gun is from somewhere over in the IRAN area{Ivory Coast}.It is from somewhere in the 1800s era.It was a captins gun on a pirate ship,I guess it was called a Duelling Pistol.He wants to sell it to me.What do you fellas think is a fair price for this pistol.It is totally operational,both hammers come back and lock into place and both triggers fire.It is obviously more of a collectors piece but i think would be neat to fire and old pistol like this.The handle is full of carved ivory,with some ingravings on it but no date or make obviously.

I may buy it but i may not,if there is someone interested let me know.

Now i just need a ohnest dollar valve of what a piece like this would be worth,Any help appreciated.
How much faith do you have in the story behind the gun? The Ivory Coast is a country on the W coast of Africa (Atlantic Ocean) and Iran is in SW Asia bordering on the Caspian Sean and The Persian Gulf. About 4,000 miles between them (across the continent of Africa, almost at it's widest point and into Asia. Arggggggghhhhhhhhhh Billy, have ye ever bin to sea? Check er out some more........observe the owner shoot it (from a same distance lol).
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 AM

I used to shoot alot of black powder weapons, original or replica I wouldn't risk it myself
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM

take it to the antiques roadshow!! lol
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Look at the nut holding the hammer on... I think that speaks for itself...

It must be a pretty modern bolt going through there, or they just cranked a new nut onto an old medal bolt - wouldn't that ruin its value if it was a collectors item and supposed to be 100% original?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM

IIRC they don't let African ivory into the country anymore.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Irwin View Post
I don't have any background qualifications to back this up, but I would be very careful spending big bucks on this. I just got back from the Middle East, and the markets there are literally full of pistols that look EXACTLY like this one.
Seen lots like it and different during several trips - most probably a Kyber Pass knock-off. They are pretty clever and creative over there. I was looking at a martini-henry carbine there for $150 USD, and when I told the fellow the date stamp on the breech was 100 years out of date (1770s instead of 1870s..) he wanted more money as it was "older"!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM

yes, the nut holding the cocking piece looks too shiny.

The metal double triggers look wrong to my uneducated eyes:
too smooth compared to the roughness noted elsewhere on this pistol. This trigger set might have been cannibalized from a sxs shotgun, look at the pronounced curvature. Didn't early 'pirate' type pistols -not the sophisticated 19th century ones- have straighter triggers?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Default Old Pistol.

The nut that is shinny is defianatly just been put on to hold it in place.

I took it to henry gun makers in bentley yesterday and he looked it over and
we found one very close to it in a old pistol antique book.He said he thought
it was from about 1850s or so.Im not going to buy it for 500.00 like the old fella wants,so if someone is interested in buying it PM me and ill give you all the info you need.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM

Also in picture 2, it looks like the barrels have rifling, I dont believe any firearms from that era had rifling. WOW, we should just get pics of real and fake peices to solve just for the heck of it, deffinitley tore this one to peices! Fun fun!!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
The nut that is shinny is defianatly just been put on to hold it in place.

I took it to henry gun makers in bentley yesterday and he looked it over and
we found one very close to it in a old pistol antique book.He said he thought
it was from about 1850s or so.Im not going to buy it for 500.00 like the old fella wants,so if someone is interested in buying it PM me and ill give you all the info you need.
if David henry looked at it nand announced it authentic, that would do it for me, seeing how he is Scottish trained.
Not that I'm runnijg for my cheque book either!

Cat