Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Help! I'm in charge of dinner.

As the title says, the Mrs. has put me in charge of dinner tomorrow night and the Shake N Bake or Spaghetti routine has run out it's welcome.

I have a bunch of Grouse so I'm thinking a Grouse Stew done in a slow cooker would be good.

Anyone have any good Slow Cooker Grouse Recipes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Never slow cooked grouse before, but if you give them all a couple of shots of whiskey before dinner, I'm sure they'll enjoy whatever you serve them......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Does sound good, keeps it moist...I don't have any recipies for grouse specifically but I usually just use one for a chicken dish and subtitute that with grouse.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
couple of shots of whiskey before dinner

Step one, replace chicken broth with whiskey...got it.......
Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco300WM View Post
Step one, replace chicken broth with whiskey...got it.......
No silly, you don't cook with whisky, that would be a waste. You give it to the kids......gosh, I gotta 'splain everything around here.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM

KFC Bucket o' chicken. Plus box of fries. Complete with Gravy (with exlax liberally added to gravy)

= Fun Times at Roscoe's house!

As an added bonus, you'll never have to 'cook' again!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 PM

BBQ'd grouse drizzled with garlic butter is a winner any day of the week here.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Try a cranberry russian chicken recipe. Makes chicken breasts juicy. Simple slow cooker method. If it turns out right...fireworks.

Last edited by Reddin; 10-17-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Ok. Here is a recipe for you since you mentioned a slow cooker. Do you have approx 30 to 45 mins of prep time before putting everything in the slow cooker? if so, try this...

Pre-heat 2 frying pans to medium. In the first sautee some sausage (maple pork is what I always use), cut up in 1/2 inch coins, until they begin to brown. Then remove from pan and set aside. Throw in a large, onion chopped to a medium chop( nothing bigger than 3/4 inch pieces)

In the second pan, sear the grouse after you gently season it with salt and pepper. Turn it often. Not to cook, just to brown the outsides. Remove from pan and set aside.

In pan with onions...sautee until translucent (clear). Add 1 diced apple (1/2 inch cubes), 2 tablespoons of poultry seasoning, and 1/4 cup of apple juice. Add previously cooked sausage and 2-3 cups of croutons(depending on how much grouse you have...2 to 1 ratio of "stuffing to meat") . Stir until its well mixed.Pour this into your slow cooker. Press the grouse into the mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.....(cover, cook, and forget)

Serve with rice, potatoes, what have you...cranberry sauce compliments it well. enjoy.

Cheers
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM

I made a fantastic grouse/moose/mushroom stroganoff the other day.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
you don't cook with whisky, that would be a waste

If we were talking rum, I'd agree.

Quote:
KFC Bucket o' chicken. Plus box of fries. Complete with Gravy (with exlax liberally added to gravy)
Quote:

Hey, Ol' Rosco's gotta eat too.

@ 7mm08 - That one I'm gonna have to try when I have more time, although by the sounds of it, I'll be cooking every week .
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco300WM View Post
[LEFT]As the title says, the Mrs. has put me in charge of dinner tomorrow night and the Shake N Bake or Spaghetti routine has run out it's welcome.
M&M Meat Shops

You still get to turn on the stove.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Default easy recipe that will score you huge points.

I do this with chicken legs (skin on) all the time and it is a guaranteed winner.

You should be able to the same with the grouse breasts if they still have the skin on...but even if they don't, just "paint" the sauce on witha silicone basting brush.

Now...when I make this, I never measure anything. I totally go by taste so I apologize.

Take approx. 1/2 cup dijon mustard (smooth....not the grainy stuff) and mix it with 1/2 cup honey. Add approx. 1/3 cup orange marmalade. Finely chop 1/3 cup fresh dill and add to mixture. Combine thoroughly.

Liberally stuff sauce under the skin of the chicken/grouse/rabbit/cat parts and bake in a 350 deg F oven for approx 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear.

Serve over a bed of steamed rice that has been mixed with some toasted slivers of almond, green onion and a touch of soya sauce. Green salad on the side and watch the magic.

When the sauce cooks down and mixes with the juices from the chicken, etc...you will be drinking it for shooters (it is that good).

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Default grouse and bacon?? Omgosh I killed it!!

Just got back from huntin grouse and I'm trying out this recipe right now...with red instead of white wine.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/norther...7=Recipe%20Hub
Hubby said I killed it, meaning, the best one I've made thus far! Lookout boys, it's grouse wrapped in bacon in a garlic/red wine/bacon gravy...

forget rice, I'm pairing this with baby red potatoes and a simple side salad...
So easy to make too!