Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2024, 07:25 AM

Default Electric Assist Mountain Bikes

I rode local trails almost daily until my back started acting up, and I couldn't handle anything but the easiest trails without pain. After my significant other bought an e bike, I decided to try an e assisted mountain bike Friday, and I was amazed at how easy they make it to ride the trails again. You still have to pedal, but the electric motor puts in up to 3-1/2 times the effort that you do, so even the steepest hills are fairly easy to climb. And at around 50lbs, they don't feel awkward and cumbersome like the heavy electric bikes I tried a few years ago. When I went shopping, Gas Gas had by far the best deals, generally 30-40% discounts on 2023 models, to liquidate the old stock ,as the 2024 models arrive. They have a very good assortment of models , from easy trail models with basic components, to high end competition bikes, with high end components.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:40 AM

Check out Biktrix. They have a few Centre or Mid Drives, made by Bafang, that also have a thumb throttle. You can actually ride those without pedalling if you want to. Most of the Hub drives have a throttle, but Bafang is the only Mid Drive I know of that has it and the mid drives are a lot more efficient as they use the gears.

My latest version. Biktirx has a great website and you can order direct. They are a Canadian Company. They have a dealer in Edm - Honda Extreme as well as a few other places.

First Bike. Yamaha mid drive but no throttle. Was fine on paved or good gravel, the new one is better on trails.
Resold it for the same price I bought it for 2 years earlier, got a great deal on it for end of season from Cranky's in St Albert.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-02-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Check out Biktrix. They have a few Centre or Mid Drives, made by Bafang, that also have a thumb throttle. You can actually ride those without pedalling if you want to. Most of the Hub drives have a throttle, but Bafang is the only Mid Drive I know of that has it and the mid drives are a lot more efficient as they use the gears.

My latest version. Biktirx has a great website and you can order direct. They are a Canadian Company. They have a dealer in Edm - Honda Extreme as well as a few other places.

First Bike. Yamaha mid drive but no throttle. Was fine on paved or good gravel, the new one is better on trails.
Resold it for the same price I bought it for 2 years earlier, got a great deal on it for end of season from Cranky's in St Albert.

The significant other bought one very similar to the top one, but with a throttle, because she enjoys cruising the easier trails, and she wanted a throttle. I tested a couple of them and , they are just too heavy and clumsy to enjoy the trails that I like to ride, at the speeds that I like to ride. Going down some of the rougher downhill sections with a fat tired hardtail, would have me riding the brakes to keep from bouncing around and losing control. I went with narrower tires, and a high end full suspension, for that reason.
It all comes down to the style of riding that you prefer
Old 06-02-2024, 08:11 AM

For trails that difficult, rear suspension would definitely be the better choice. Biktrix has rear suspension models too, but I don't ride trails that have steep rough sections, so you are exactly right, it really does depend on what kind of riding you do.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
For trails that difficult, rear suspension would definitely be the better choice. Biktrix has rear suspension models too, but I don't ride trails that have steep rough sections, so you are exactly right, it really does depend on what kind of riding you do.
We have a great trail system, from paved easy trails, to unpaved trails that run along the creek, and go all the way to the range. When I am on my own, I enjoy riding to the range on the grass trails, but the hills are too steep for me to climb on a regular bike. At some point, I will probably want a throttle, and will keep to the easy trails, but for now, I still enjoy the downhill sections.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I rode local trails almost daily until my back started acting up, and I couldn't handle anything but the easiest trails without pain. After my significant other bought an e bike, I decided to try an e assisted mountain bike Friday, and I was amazed at how easy they make it to ride the trails again. You still have to pedal, but the electric motor puts in up to 3-1/2 times the effort that you do, so even the steepest hills are fairly easy to climb. And at around 50lbs, they don't feel awkward and cumbersome like the heavy electric bikes I tried a few years ago. When I went shopping, Gas Gas had by far the best deals, generally 30-40% discounts on 2023 models, to liquidate the old stock ,as the 2024 models arrive. They have a very good assortment of models , from easy trail models with basic components, to high end competition bikes, with high end components.
What model did you buy? I am quite curious. I am not a fan of the larger cumbersome bikes either and I admit, I have never tried an E bike.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
What model did you buy? I am quite curious. I am not a fan of the larger cumbersome bikes either and I admit, I have never tried an E bike.
I bought the Gas Gas Trail 3. They make a Trail 1 and Trail 2 as well. The 3 has a carbon fiber frame, and higher end Fox suspension, the 2 is aluminum with Rockshox, and the 1 is alminum with Suntour. The 1 is on sale for $2400, rhe 2 is around $3200, and the 3 is
$3749. The full prices run from $4400 to $6200.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:07 AM

Mid drives are starting to have issues with gears, chains ect from what Ive been reading?You have pedal bike components with motor assist so Maybe some truth to it.Batteries havent changed I dont think,still pretty dead once below 50%.
Most $2500 hub drives are just $500 mountain bikes with 2k of electric goodies.
If your under 200lbs and ride like a grandma your ok with the cheaper ones.

Im 250 lbs a 17aH battery got 8kms of straight electric, was 50% after that, some miner hills.Couldnt do much at below 50%, had to pedal.

Reading about dual motor e bikes, they dont have enough battery I guess which makes sense.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Mid drives are starting to have issues with gears, chains ect from what Ive been reading?You have pedal bike components with motor assist so Maybe some truth to it.Batteries havent changed I dont think,still pretty dead once below 50%.
Most $2500 hub drives are just $500 mountain bikes with 2k of electric goodies.
If your under 200lbs and ride like a grandma your ok with the cheaper ones.

Im 250 lbs a 17aH battery got 8kms of straight electric, was 50% after that, some miner hills.Couldnt do much at below 50%, had to pedal.

Reading about dual motor e bikes, they dont have enough battery I guess which makes sense.
With an assisted bike, how the assist is phased in , would be a huge factor in gears/chains etc. The assist is eased in, not applied instantly, like it can be, with a throttle. The software even backs off the power when you shift, to reduce the strain on components. All of the assisted mountain bikes use mid drives, because it is just more suitable for the application. Throttle systems, are an entirely different application.
Old 06-02-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I bought the Gas Gas Trail 3. They make a Trail 1 and Trail 2 as well. The 3 has a carbon fiber frame, and higher end Fox suspension, the 2 is aluminum with Rockshox, and the 1 is alminum with Suntour. The 1 is on sale for $2400, rhe 2 is around $3200, and the 3 is
$3749. The full prices run from $4400 to $6200.
That's a sharp looking bike!! I am only a little jealous.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:53 PM

Never! What next? Electric cars?
Old 06-02-2024, 03:02 PM
AO Sponsor

My step brother works for Trek and he always has a wicked e-mountain bike... So really insane stuff they do but oooouf they can get spendy!

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/b...-bikes/c/B512/
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-02-2024, 03:08 PM

Will they out run a bear?
Old 06-02-2024, 03:31 PM

We rented a couple of lower end front suspension only e-assist bikes in Panama last winter and were pretty impressed, especially in the rockier uphill sections. Five different levels of assist, and if you're actually pedaling the runtime wasn't too bad. Naturally my wife's battery lasted much better than mine even though I was pedaling most of the time, but I outweighed her by 100 lbs.

These assisted e-bikes won't outrun a bear lol but my buddy's Stark Varg will. Although 80hp and 240lbs can be a handful at times.

For the money I'll be sticking to my low tech stuff for now. Only pedals, sweat and premium fuel required.
Old 06-02-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Depends how good a rider you are....
Old 06-02-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Your best odds are if you are near a steep downhill, where you can reach 40mph, and the bear can't run top speed. But if you crash, he gets a pre tenderized meal.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:55 PM

This is the ride I'm contemplating in the very near future: Boomerbeast 2

https://ebikeuniverse.com/products/d...40244188250202

It's a 3 wheel electric trike with quad type tires and one motor for the rear wheels and one for the front wheel. Lead acid batteries or Lithium (expensive) battery. Can't decide between the red or the camo green. I prefer this to a bike because it's nice to sit back and relax when I get to where I am going. Also has a rack on the back for stuff.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
This is the ride I'm contemplating in the very near future: Boomerbeast 2

https://ebikeuniverse.com/products/d...40244188250202

It's a 3 wheel electric trike with quad type tires and one motor for the rear wheels and one for the front wheel. Lead acid batteries or Lithium (expensive) battery. Can't decide between the red or the camo green. I prefer this to a bike because it's nice to sit back and relax when I get to where I am going. Also has a rack on the back for stuff.
1000 charge cycles is a bit of a reach,3-500 is more like it with the Lithium battery ,56aH is the way to go.

Cut that range in half at 300lbs empty ,
Old 06-03-2024, 08:31 AM

Looked at electric bikes for a while now, tried a couple, and ended up selling as I just didn't care for the battery life. Ended up with a Gas Scooter, and love it.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-03-2024, 08:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Looked at electric bikes for a while now, tried a couple, and ended up selling as I just didn't care for the battery life. Ended up with a Gas Scooter, and love it.
He is asking more about mountain biking though on trails etc... That is entirely a different animal. Still get exercise but not beat up.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-03-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
He is asking more about mountain biking though on trails etc... That is entirely a different animal. Still get exercise but not beat up.
That is exactly the point, I get exercise, but can use assist where I need it, as on hills.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:32 PM

I friend of mine who is an avid ebiker in the Crowsnest area told me that some of the trails in BC and perhaps AB are now getting classifications and that on certain trails e-bikes with throttles are banned. Can anyone confirm? Not sure how it would be enforced though.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
I friend of mine who is an avid ebiker in the Crowsnest area told me that some of the trails in BC and perhaps AB are now getting classifications and that on certain trails e-bikes with throttles are banned. Can anyone confirm? Not sure how it would be enforced though.
That is happening in some cities and parks, but no idea if they are enforcing it strictly, or just dealing with the idiots.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
That is happening in some cities and parks, but no idea if they are enforcing it strictly, or just dealing with the idiots.
Just the idiots,more so in the high traffic areas you'll see a cop on a mountain bike.Slow down when appropriate and no issues.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:41 PM

Throttled ebikes (even if they have pedal assist) are not allowed on almost every designated mtn bike trail system in Alberta, I am unsure of bc, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are not allowed.

National parks also do not allow them.

A quick Google search can find the answers..

Now are they enforced?? Judging by the Surron style (dirt bike) ones I see chasing around fish Creek and Bragg Creek.. I'm gonna say no. Probably on a "by complaint" basis only.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:28 PM

There is a new e-bike place in Calgary and they do servicing and repairs.

www.sttelectrix.ca

My wife saw it today and said they had some really neat stuff.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:05 PM

Default Assist Mountain bikes

Last year I bought the Rocky Mountain, from Mud Sweat and Gears.
I have been very happy with it. Its nice to hold that speed going up hill when you need it.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:02 PM

I bought my wife an Aventon Level 2 last year for our anniversary so she would go on longer rides with me. It took all of 1 ride to convince myself to buy the same bike.

I love riding a bike, always have. While I still ride my regular bike, our electric bikes are awesome. 2-3 hour rides easily, 30-40 km in the river valley, up and down hills. The bikes have torque sensors so we still pedal and get exercise. But you just can go further distance over a longer time frame and most importantly....up hills. We get over a 100km on a charge but it depends on the type of riding, assist setting, etc. I'm heavier so my wife gets more km on her battery than I do.

Best advice....buy a decent bike. You don't need to spend $3000 + but don't buy a $800 from Costco or the like. $1700-$2500 will do the trick.

https://www.aventon.com/en-ca/produc...42030181318851

That is what mine looks like ^^^^^^^^^. My wifes is a white step through model.
Old 06-04-2024, 09:41 PM

It comes down to choosing how and where you ride, and your budget. Having a throttle will restrict where you can ride, but some people really want a throttle. Some people want to go fast on rougher terrain , and for them a full suspension and better brakes, can be an advantage. The mountain bikes are much lighter and handle better, if that is important to you. Then it comes down to budget and components, higher end components cost more, and carbon fiber frames drive the price up. Then I consider dealer and parts availability.