Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default pigeon

Hit up pigeon with wife and her cousin on Sunday. .. good morning of fishing for a few newbies... bite was on around 10am onward in 10feet of water. Looked like most other boats were struggling at the pp. .. we boated about 35 eyes in 3-4 hours.. biggest was 59 cm... smallest 43cm. Most were 48-55 range. A few dink pike. Minnows were bait of choice, outfitting leeches. 10 fow. Straight hook and a couple other secret rigs were ticket.

Mike
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the report, I'm heading to Pigeon for the next 5-6 days and have never fished there before. Any basic tips or general areas you'd recommend? I'll be camping at the PP and only have a 25hp so hoping to fish close by.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
Thanks for the report, I'm heading to Pigeon for the next 5-6 days and have never fished there before. Any basic tips or general areas you'd recommend? I'll be camping at the PP and only have a 25hp so hoping to fish close by.
Right off shore from the PP is a good spot... You will see all the other boats there... It goes from 3 to 20 feet pretty quick and that's where they usually hang up
Old 06-02-2014, 05:27 PM

Hey guys I'm heading to Pigeon soon as well but won't have a boat with me, any chance anyone knows of a good shore area to fish from
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Dumi View Post
Hey guys I'm heading to Pigeon soon as well but won't have a boat with me, any chance anyone knows of a good shore area to fish from
Right beside the boat launch by the picnic tables. An old member that used to use the fodum alot.. used to fish from shore there alot and didnt do to bad.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Right beside the boat launch by the picnic tables. An old member that used to use the fodum alot.. used to fish from shore there alot and didnt do to bad.
Pretty shallow there but I did see a guy catch one the day I was there.

As I say to everyone wondering about fishing from shore, buy some sort of boat even if it is a crappy canoe or belly boat. Fishing in AB is 10 times better with a boat and the only people that will tell you different are the hardcore NSR fishermen...
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I'll be there wednesday night and camping for awhile, we can meet up and fish for a day if you're still around.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Where's the pictures???
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Where's the pictures???
I don't generally get pics unless its a walleye over 5lbs or a pike around the 40 inch Mark. The girls got a few pics of there first catches which I will get framed but that's about it..
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Thanks guys, ya I definitely plan on getting a small tin boat as soon as possible. Thanks for the invite Adverse but I won't be down there till the end of June sadly.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
I don't generally get pics unless its a walleye over 5lbs or a pike around the 40 inch Mark. The girls got a few pics of there first catches which I will get framed but that's about it..
Ah, so what you are saying is you don't post pictures cause you can't catch anything worth taking a picture of.

Here is one of my little fish I like to catch .

Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Banned

Ya I saw that picture of a 10lb skinny pike... i caught a 39 incher on 6lb test at wab first time out. Skinny not picture worthy... 14lbs tops.When you get decent fish on the regular taking pics of 32 inch pike or 20 inch walleye becomes a waste of time. .look at my posts and pics a hack like yourself should be envious......go to bed need your rest for paddling your kayak...

Quote:
Ah, so what you are saying is you don't post pictures cause you can't catch anything worth taking a picture of.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You can catch fish from shore pretty much anywhere in the entire park. Good access everywhere from the main path along the shore. Just cast out spoons and rapalas. Won't get anywhere near the numbers you get out on the lake and you might have to move around a bit but you will catch a few along the way.

Cheers.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Oh alright thanks
Old 06-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Or maybe he's like me and doesn't often post pics because of posts like this...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Or maybe he's like me and doesn't often post pics because of posts like this...
Hes been trying to rip on me for weeks and even pmd me...he'd. get your facts straight. .. I give lots of reports and generally add a pic or two if the fish are picture worthy. .Well if hes like you sorry about your luck pal.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Hes been trying to rip on me for weeks and even pmd me...he'd. get your facts straight. .. I give lots of reports and generally add a pic or two if the fish are picture worthy. .Well if hes like you sorry about your luck pal.
You interpreted that all wrong

I was suggesting you might not post pics because of B.S.like this.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
You interpreted that all wrong

I was suggesting you might not post pics because of B.S.like this.
Oh sorry for the misinterpretation. .. ya I usually don't post a lot of pics.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Actually you are the one that has been ripping on me for quite a while now and it has been annoying but comical except the couple times you have blatantly attacked me...

My post above was supposed to be in jest due to irony of these posts...

Quote:
Tightening knots, grabbing the line when your cradling a 45 inch pike alone ... You wouldn't know anything about that though, i have seen your pics... They look like bait to me...o
Quote:
Ya in lac st anne. Its as easy as fishing in a barrel.
Quote:
Try again, only 4 of them were from St Anne.

Many lakes in Saskatchewan are harder to catch walleye in then lakes around here. That is because you are actually allowed to eat them out there...
Quote:
Sorry pigeon lake... even easier
So I catch small fish and catching walleye out of Pigeon lake is easier then shooting fish in a barrel... Hopefully you can see the irony of my post now... I am disappointed that you feel you are entitled to degrade my posts and not get any fun ribbing in return when you post the same thing...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Banned

Its your questioning and biased opinions. Example the braid thread. .. you use a push button real. Just saying. I am done now as stated previously..

Quote:
Actually you are the one that has been ripping on me for quite a while now and it has been annoying but comical except the couple times you have blatantly attacked me...

My post above was supposed to be in jest due to irony of these posts...

So I catch small fish and catching walleye out of Pigeon lake is easier then shooting fish in a barrel... Hopefully you can see the irony of my post now... I am disappointed that you feel you are entitled to degrade my posts and not get any fun ribbing in return when you post the same thing...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Its your questioning and biased opinions. Example the braid thread. .. you use a push button real. Just saying. I am done now as stated previously..
So you don't like me I get it, ignore me don't attack me.

Gotta love how you throw the parting shot in on the way out...
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 AM

Is that poplar fuzz .....pigeon hear I come
Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Is that poplar fuzz .....pigeon hear I come
I just heard that rumor from an old timer and was wondering if anyone has actually seen truth in it?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I just heard that rumor from an old timer and was wondering if anyone has actually seen truth in it?
I have been hearing the polar fuzz theory since I can remember....must be true!

LC
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM

July is normally when the walleye really start bitting and the fuzz starts to blow ... IT"S COMING !
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
July is normally when the walleye really start bitting and the fuzz starts to blow ... IT"S COMING !
Believe me the popular fuzz is already out in full force. The acreage I work on is covered in the stuff. Good thing I am not allergic to it...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Believe me the popular fuzz is already out in full force. The acreage I work on is covered in the stuff. Good thing I am not allergic to it...
Well if its flying in the air ,its time to go walleye fishing
Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Well I've been camping at Pigeon Lake (Zeiner) since wednesday and finally got some nice fishing weather. The leeches I bought on my way here were dead so I trolled some rapalas for awhile with no luck, bottom bouncing with a worm and nothing. I switched to a green flasher jig with a worm and stinger hook just drifting and jigging, got one just about every 500' drift after that. Most were 46-49cm but I finally got this guy at just over 52cm and headed in. Filleted and in the fridge, now I'm debating between eating it or going back out fishing. With decent weather it's a great lake, I'll be spending more time here for sure. If anyone's in the area and wants to fish for a bit PM me, I'm getting tired of fishing solo.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Anywhere of the provincial park. Right before dusk is the best time. They move into the shallows to feed.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Popular fuzz usually coincides with the spawn being over and the fish starting to feed heavy. During spawn/post spawn fish are transitioning between areas, after the spawn is over, they start feeding heavy again, and stacking up. With the exception of a cold front, when the fuzz is in the air, walleye fishing is usually very good, at least that has been my experience.