Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 11:46 AM

Default Suffield Joke

Hunts are finished now. I was a helper on the first bull hunt, and again on the last cow hunt before Christmas and a hunter on the last cow just yesterday. Out of a possible 11 tags took 2, one bull one cow. zero this past week. Saw elk nearly everyday but just about exclusively in NWA. Hunt is a waist of time and priority points. They say NWA is for sensitive eco system protection i.e. Kangaroo rats and thus no hunting, however they allow oil and gas as well as beef cattle to graze in the NWA. Just no hunting.

For the most part range patrol where anything but helpful. In 9 days of hunting positive encounters with range patrol where out numbered 3-1. Some of the guys told us directly that we weren't welcome on the base and further that the elk were theirs to dispose of anyway they wished.

The briefings were always late, FNs flock shooting, Arbitrary meaningless NWA boundaries, range patrol disrespecting recreation hunters, only 2 access points both on the same side. Conclusion the hunt is all politics and no elk management, no elk reduction, just politics.

Outdoorfanatic
Old 01-31-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Wow

Maybe the guys just didn't like you .....I was there and over heard a lot of stuff people were saying I wouldnt help if you came across like this post , I got both of my cows with the help of info from range control .hopefully they don't see you back anytime soon.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:31 PM

The range patrol I dealt with were excellent, the rest of the hunt was a terrible and I did get an elk. I will not do a base hunt again unless it changes drastically.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM

I had a completely different experience as you. I was on the base for three hunts this year. The hunters I was with took 4 cow elk,I did not fill my bull tag. Overall range patrol was great. Everything in life is what you make of it. If you want a negative in life you can find it. Every hunt I have done on the base was great including my hunt that I did not harvest anything.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM

Default Suffield "Hunt"

Glad you all had a positive experience at suffield. And to be fair most of my range patrol encounters where pretty minor ones, and one guy in particular I believe was sincerely trying to be helpful and respectful although he was just as much a spectator as we were. Two encounters in particular were the real negatives like being told that the only hunters who had any call to be there were the FNs.

Point is if you honestly feel that you had a hunt; that is you vs the animal then your clearly in the minority. I've been beat by the animal before and will again in the future. But to be told that this is all about "elk reduction" hence two cow tags and get there and realize that we're within 500 yards of 500 plus elk everyday of the last hunt but can't do anything about it due exclusively to politics is not a hunt. And this cost a priority point for next year's draw. The elk were within the control of the base as late as Saturday January 30 and still they sat on their hands.

So yes I saw elk 8 out of 9 days there. But I can go to Elk Island National Park or Jasper and say the same. Difference is I don't have the expectation of hunting in those places.

You must agree that Suffield has a lot of improvement to make.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Hunts are finished now. I was a helper on the first bull hunt, and again on the last cow hunt before Christmas and a hunter on the last cow just yesterday. Out of a possible 11 tags took 2, one bull one cow. zero this past week. Saw elk nearly everyday but just about exclusively in NWA. Hunt is a waist of time and priority points. They say NWA is for sensitive eco system protection i.e. Kangaroo rats and thus no hunting, however they allow oil and gas as well as beef cattle to graze in the NWA. Just no hunting.

For the most part range patrol where anything but helpful. In 9 days of hunting positive encounters with range patrol where out numbered 3-1. Some of the guys told us directly that we weren't welcome on the base and further that the elk were theirs to dispose of anyway they wished.

The briefings were always late, FNs flock shooting, Arbitrary meaningless NWA boundaries, range patrol disrespecting recreation hunters, only 2 access points both on the same side. Conclusion the hunt is all politics and no elk management, no elk reduction, just politics.

Outdoorfanatic
What we're you expecting it to be? If anybody actually thought theywere going to expect a hunting experience there nuts . This was a cull and a **** show one at that. I can't believe anyone burned any more than a priority 2 on this disaster. Sorry to hear that people did..
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 PM

Just be thankful for the opportunity, it's a privilege to hunt there and I for one let the Range Control guys know that we were grateful to be invited there to hunt.

Jay
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kyle View Post
Just be thankful for the opportunity, it's a privilege to hunt there and I for one let the Range Control guys know that we were grateful to be invited there to hunt.

Jay
I agree completely. Unfortunately not as good as last year(got back friday and a waste of time).

But I'm thankful for the chance and the military for hosting us....

But we needed someone to start another bitch and whine thread about suffield so thank you.

I will attach me previous response to a similar thread now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive just got back from 2 days of completely useless hunting...... Massive waste of time and energy...... And my truck weighs 1000 pounds more than normal with all the mud!

BUT THEN I WAS NOT AT WORK

I would like to thank the military for all the help they have been out there and to me the last 2 years at suffield.

As for myself I don't give a flying &#(k if some of the military got some preference. They put their lives on the line for all of us. Its really sad to hear of you spoiled rotten self entitled hunters! As far as I'm concerned give the military the first week of hunting on the base and let us volunteer to be their hunters helpers so that we can earn the right to hunt after they are done.

But I bought my tags and paid my money and I got screwed. WHINE SNIVEL CRY!

So What! What Ive done or you've done don't mean Jack compared to what these people do for us. (except for police and such)

I am more than THRILLED to give up my shot at an Elk for a man or women In Green who Defends my country.....

Sad thing is that most of the whiners here are the same babies who complain about Natives......

OH no.... SOMEONE GETS TO DO SOMETHING I CANT>>>> WHINE SNIVEL CRY ON YOUR MOMMA's Apron's.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I for one will be back at Suffield if I get the opportunity. For the babies here.... I hope you never bother applying again..... No matter what you will never be satisfied!

Last edited by Camdelle; 01-31-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
What we're you expecting it to be? If anybody actually thought theywere going to expect a hunting experience there nuts . This was a cull and a **** show one at that. I can't believe anyone burned any more than a priority 2 on this disaster. Sorry to hear that people did..
Why last year was amazing! Ane we even hunted the last week of the first hunt last year. We were on herds of 100-700 the whole time we were there.

They tried something new this year.. It didnt work. Lesson learned...

Ill go back again.... Maybe you wont....

nobodys fault. just didnt work out.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 PM

Guess my question is, are you dealing with the Canadian or British military when you hunt the base ?

Grizz
Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM

Default Gong show!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
This was what i was thinking. Lol glad you said it!
Really what was everyone thinking......400" bulls for everyone? When this hunt came about everyone i knew was talking about going, I was thinking this would be a good place to avoid. Sounds kinda like wmu 305 on opening morning but everyday. Iam glad so many people lost there priority should be easier to pull a good tag now. Sorry for the salt in the wounds.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:19 PM

If someone is looking for a helper I'd be interested. Got elk to shoot here at home, but I'd be into seeing some new country. I've never been down there in that part of the world.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Guess my question is, are you dealing with the Canadian or British military when you hunt the base ?

Grizz
Your dealing with the Canadian military, why do you ask ?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 PM
AO Sponsor

if you can't get elk on the base, don't blame others? I think there were like 1600 elk taken, sounds like a success to me. And then the best part... They/We run a whack of them off the base, hopefully never to return and I hope these things keep breeding like rabbits and we end up with more grass fed prairie elk than mule deer!

(They do taste a whole lot better than them stinky old mule deer, eh?)

(Yummy, prairie elk til we all die! Hopefully)

I was there for the second and third hunt, didn't seem all that tough to me. I got both mine the second week the old fashioned way, which means hunting them, and my 15 year old daughter managed to come home with a couple as well the next week. The military provided excellent help and tips. What more could one ask for?

Sounds like the consensus on here is that the military was an awesome bunch, which they were, which is almost unbelievable when there were so many people whining at them and demanding they serve them. There were lots of good people and then some stupid people, obviously, and they just kept doing their job, which primarily was to keep stupid people from shooting anybody, and secondly to aid the elk hunters in having an orderly hunt.

Thank you CFB Suffield personnel who helped all us masses and put up with us and our nonsense!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdelle View Post
Why last year was amazing! Ane we even hunted the last week of the first hunt last year. We were on herds of 100-700 the whole time we were there.

They tried something new this year.. It didnt work. Lesson learned...

Ill go back again.... Maybe you wont....

nobodys fault. just didnt work out.
My sentiments exactly. The timing of the additional seasons and subsequent increase in pressure made the later hunts a real challenge, not to mention terribly frustrating for those participating.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
If someone is looking for a helper I'd be interested. Got elk to shoot here at home, but I'd be into seeing some new country. I've never been down there in that part of the world.
Come on down my friend. Be great to see you again and catch up.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Come on down my friend. Be great to see you again and catch up.
Let me know and I'll be on my way. Missed out on getting down there last year but this year coming up I'll be in better traveling shape
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
if you can't get elk on the base, don't blame others? I think there were like 1600 elk taken, sounds like a success to me. And then the best part... They/We run a whack of them off the base, hopefully never to return and I hope these things keep breeding like rabbits and we end up with more grass fed prairie elk than mule deer!

(They do taste a whole lot better than them stinky old mule deer, eh?)

(Yummy, prairie elk til we all die! Hopefully)

I was there for the second and third hunt, didn't seem all that tough to me. I got both mine the second week the old fashioned way, which means hunting them, and my 15 year old daughter managed to come home with a couple as well the next week. The military provided excellent help and tips. What more could one ask for?

Sounds like the consensus on here is that the military was an awesome bunch, which they were, which is almost unbelievable when there were so many people whining at them and demanding they serve them. There were lots of good people and then some stupid people, obviously, and they just kept doing their job, which primarily was to keep stupid people from shooting anybody, and secondly to aid the elk hunters in having an orderly hunt.

Thank you CFB Suffield personnel who helped all us masses and put up with us and our nonsense!
Good grief man, talk about vacuous self-indulgence. The entire base hunt was contrived because of the damage being wrought on private and lease land adjacent to the base by an invasive elk herd that does not belong here.

And yet, the deepest thought you've given it is that you hope now that there's "yummy, prairie elk" to hopefully displace our world class indigenous mule deer herd, so you can meat hunt??

Sorry man, the elk need to be wiped out, not run off the base so they can "start breeding like rabbits".

I've read some amazing, poorly contrived comments around this fiasco, but for missing the point of the whole ill-conceived and executed endeavor, this one, for sheer ignorance, is right at the top...
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
Your dealing with the Canadian military, why do you ask ?
Might have some effect on the attitude of the people you're dealing with.

Grizz
Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 AM

OP --- I was there twice this year. We took 4 cows with no problems. Never once did I stare across a border at an elk I couldn't shoot. There is 2600 km2 and you choose to go to the same place every day and look outward." I bet your wife doesn't look as attractive as your neighbors wife either. "
Glad you won't be returning.

Hey Danypee, that you with the truck hoist?? If so, good talking to you.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Good grief man, talk about vacuous self-indulgence. The entire base hunt was contrived because of the damage being wrought on private and lease land adjacent to the base by an invasive elk herd that does not belong here.

And yet, the deepest thought you've given it is that you hope now that there's "yummy, prairie elk" to hopefully displace our world class indigenous mule deer herd, so you can meat hunt??

Sorry man, the elk need to be wiped out, not run off the base so they can "start breeding like rabbits".

I've read some amazing, poorly contrived comments around this fiasco, but for missing the point of the whole ill-conceived and executed endeavor, this one, for sheer ignorance, is right at the top...
FYI elk are native to the prairies, I too hope they stay off the base although I hope they split up into smaller herds so they don't wipe a farmer out
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Our dealings with range patrol and F&W were the only positive experiences during our time on the base. I thought that both did a good job considering some of the idiots that they had to put up with, including people that drove in out of bounds areas, people that shot elk in closed areas, and people that refused to wait until the elk heard had crossed into the legal hunting area, before driving their trucks at the herds, then bailing out and shooting into the herd as they were crossing the road that serves as the boundary. As for the briefings starting late, I blame the people that showed up at the briefings at the last minute, it takes time to process everyone, and anyone with some common sense would realize this and show up early, to give them some time to do the paperwork before the briefings began. The base exists to provide a training area for troops, not to provide an extra hunt for us. The issues that I observed on the bases were not the fault of range patrol.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-01-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
FYI elk are native to the prairies, I too hope they stay off the base although I hope they split up into smaller herds so they don't wipe a farmer out
Thanks for the news flash but there's a reason SRD had to reintroduce elk to the south eastern prairies. They no longer have a place here and bring with them all sorts of management problems and unintended consequences which can no longer be disputed nor argued away.

They need to go by whatever means necessary....
Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Might have some effect on the attitude of the people you're dealing with.

Grizz
True enough I was there for the last bull hunt and the captain told everyone to cover their elk because there is little or no hunting in the United Kingdom, ,, I thought that was hilarious considering we shoot deer all year round and don't require tags, lol its does one month and bucks the next all done around breeding seasons as long as you have permission, all my Canadian army buddies thought what he said was hilarious 😊I believe he got told after the briefing.Your point is very valid Grizz especially when people are not really sure what they are talking about at times .
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
I had a completely different experience as you. I was on the base for three hunts this year. The hunters I was with took 4 cow elk,I did not fill my bull tag. Overall range patrol was great. Everything in life is what you make of it. If you want a negative in life you can find it. Every hunt I have done on the base was great including my hunt that I did not harvest anything.
Agreed. I was with you on 2 of 3 hunts in the base and we were successful 50% of the time. Although the last bull hunt was pretty dismal the staff were honest and didn't treat anyone with disrespect. Remember, you get what you give.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM
AO Sponsor

MMMMMMMM......
Prairie Elk Steaks!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:53 PM

Default training the troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Our dealings with range patrol and F&W were the only positive experiences during our time on the base. I thought that both did a good job considering some of the idiots that they had to put up with, including people that drove in out of bounds areas, people that shot elk in closed areas, and people that refused to wait until the elk heard had crossed into the legal hunting area, before driving their trucks at the herds, then bailing out and shooting into the herd as they were crossing the road that serves as the boundary. As for the briefings starting late, I blame the people that showed up at the briefings at the last minute, it takes time to process everyone, and anyone with some common sense would realize this and show up early, to give them some time to do the paperwork before the briefings began. The base exists to provide a training area for troops, not to provide an extra hunt for us. The issues that I observed on the bases were not the fault of range patrol.
To be fair civilians hunting the base is training the troops. More training is required to manage and interact with civilians then it is to fire weapons of various kinds. If they struggle to process us and communicate with us then they have no chance of doing so in foreign lands while under fire.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
To be fair civilians hunting the base is training the troops. More training is required to manage and interact with civilians then it is to fire weapons of various kinds. If they struggle to process us and communicate with us then they have no chance of doing so in foreign lands while under fire.
I somehow doubt that being more polite to some hunters is going to save soldiers lives. On the other hand, learning how to use their weapons and practicing tactics will save lives. I didn't have any issues with range patrol when I was on the base in November, and I didn't hear anyone else complaining about them either. Perhaps your issues had something to do with the attitude or behavior or you or the hunters that you were with?
As to the briefings being late, if I was running the briefings, I would have started on time, but the people that arrived at the last minute would have had to stay back and be processed after the briefing, which I am sure would have resulted in those people being very upset, even if the cause was them arriving so late.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I don't really see any intelligence in the rationale you have used.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:47 PM

The first hunt for me in January was fabulous. We did not see any of the big herds but found smaller groups and filled my tags. The army personal were awesome and the fish and Wildlife were great will be back as soon as I can.