Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2020, 04:15 PM

Default Bait caster set up for tossing lures up to 4oz

It’s time to up grade my big lure casting set up so let’s hear some recommendations. Looking for a bait caster and rod no longer then 8ft. This will be used for tossing big lures 2-4oz. I have a smaller spinning outfit for lighter gear already

So what are you using?
Old 07-20-2020, 05:17 PM

Abu Garcia REVO TORRO Beast - made for a small profile and big heavy lures

the cheaper option is the XLP Beast

You will not find a better bait caster out there with a smoother drag at that price point

As far as rods - I have a St.Croix Premier Musky 7ft Heavy Fast Action Tip that handles big lures.

I also have a St.Croix Mojo Musky Med/Heavy Fast Action I bought as a spare rod and it's actually half the price and amazing but I think it goes up to 4oz??? I will have to look - it's a little less stiff but perfect for everything except maybe the largest 9" and up heavy musky lures = but it will fire a 6"-7" lure or a double cow bell spinner with no problem.

Pike love them.

Should mention, have a Shimano Compre Musky rod and a Shimano Calcutta but isn't as comfortable in my hand (and thumb braking) I guess. The gear is great - just not as comfortable.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:40 PM

I will check them out. The Revo was on my radar but have had bad experiences with abu ambassador’s

Sounds like you run similar size lures so likely have put your set up to work
Old 07-20-2020, 06:50 PM

I throw them that large with my Okuma, I believe 364 is the size. Like EZ I like the St.croix but in an 8'6 heavy, fast action Avid series rod. I like the feel of the Okuma more than the Revo's just a personal thing.

Osky
Old 07-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Rollie and Helens musky shop has the very best selection in lures.

I do the mail order thing - my favorite mid sized lures (would be considered large) here for pike are the lil' ernie and ernie crankbaits and the drifter mania cranks 7" and 9".

Also love those big, heavy spinners - like the Buchertail singles and doubles.

This is what BIG PIKE will be chasing. Small baits are ignored as they are too much energy expended for a small meal.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:12 PM

I have a Revo Toro S60 which works good, it used to be the cheaper version of Toro Beast. I have used it for big pike, sturgeon, salmon, ling cod, catfish and more. The X LP looks like it is the current option although not quite as big. I was just using my S60 this weekend casting 8 oz weights for catfish no problem.

Shimano Tranx 300 & 400 series are good too.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:32 PM

Thanks guys

EZM I also like big baits and always have something new in the works lol. With the lures you just listed you really need to look into some of the smaller musky lure builders. There is some amazing lures being produced that most never see
Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Rollie and Helens musky shop has the very best selection in lures.

I do the mail order thing - my favorite mid sized lures (would be considered large) here for pike are the lil' ernie and ernie crankbaits and the drifter mania cranks 7" and 9".

Also love those big, heavy spinners - like the Buchertail singles and doubles.

This is what BIG PIKE will be chasing. Small baits are ignored as they are too much energy expended for a small meal.
I have had different results. Trolling in the summer months I always pull a shad rap size 9 type lure. Clients catch all of 50% of the jumbo pike on those small lures. Love to run the smaller out wide on adapted dipsey divers.
My thoughts on this have become that in the warm water months pike are more lethargic and when a tasty small morsel swings by the primal urge just can’t be put back. Bigger heavy actions can look like work so to speak. I can’t count the times we’ve boated jumbos with another fish visible in the gullet, but they still smacked the little rap.
I had a client from South Dakota a few years ago who on the same trip in August boated two pike over 50” both coming on the trolled shad rap.
Give it a chance. Casting, is a different ball game but again in real warm air and water conditions I back down the lure size and seem to do better.

Osky
Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I have had different results. Trolling in the summer months I always pull a shad rap size 9 type lure. Clients catch all of 50% of the jumbo pike on those small lures. Love to run the smaller out wide on adapted dipsey divers.
My thoughts on this have become that in the warm water months pike are more lethargic and when a tasty small morsel swings by the primal urge just can’t be put back. Bigger heavy actions can look like work so to speak. I can’t count the times we’ve boated jumbos with another fish visible in the gullet, but they still smacked the little rap.
I had a client from South Dakota a few years ago who on the same trip in August boated two pike over 50” both coming on the trolled shad rap.
Give it a chance. Casting, is a different ball game but again in real warm air and water conditions I back down the lure size and seem to do better.

Osky

Good topic lol I my wife bought me some 4oz big baits and I have nothing to toss them. I'll be looking into getting something for these big baby's

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-21-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Shimano Tranx 300 & 400 series are good too.
X2 on this.

If you can find an older Shimano Curado 300E, they're sweet reels for big lures too.

My combo for chucking big lures and swimbaits is a Curado 301E (lefty) and one of these rods, I've got the 965C -

https://www.gloomis.com/content/gloo..._SWIMBAIT.html

They're available in the E6X line too, which lets you save a few $$$.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post

Osky
For myself 4-6inch(Profile also plays a roll) is the magic size for numbers and pike of all sizes big to hammerhandle. My bigger baits I like from now into fall and find bigger baits can also help in dirty water because of the larger profile. Either was I have caught nice pike on tiny trout spinners all the way up to 12 inch crankbaits. I have also had non stop 20inch pike drive me crazy attacking a large profile 8inch crankbait

In the end versatility and adjusting to the day is the way to go in my books. The debate of lure size I find always involves personal preference and experience that varies between anglers

Sometimes I just like to see what crazy things I can get fish to bite too lol
Old 07-21-2020, 08:45 PM

To Osky's point and Smoky's too ..... I definitely place far more importance on getting the lure and presentation down to the depth where the fish are holding, and at the speed and presentation they want.

Generally, I'd put it in this order ...

1) Put the lure where the fish are holding
2) Find the presentation speed (still, moving fast, or slow bouncing, whatever)
3) The action of the lure (vibrating, flashing, jerking, dead still, fast darting, etc..)
4) The profile of the lure (size, shape)
5) Color

Kinda in that order - not always, but that's what works for me.

I just always work up to, or start with bigger lures.

I didn't include bait or scent and that depends heavily on species.

Here's my observation - Big pike don't expend energy like little ones when the water is warm. Sure, if it skips along right into their position, but generally, they are lazy and conserve energy. If you are ripping a bait fast they may not chase it, but if you are jerking a big bait like it's twitching a slow death, i have watched otherwise uninterested big pike come up for a closer look and a taste.

That's why most big pike are taken thru the ice when the bait is sitting there.

That's why the biggest pike in Europe are mostly taken on bait rigs.

My theory anyways.

Last edited by EZM; 07-21-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 PM

EMZ our fishing style likely is similar