Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Default Edmonton area pot hole lakes????

Anyone having any luck around the area? Heading out tomorrow and just wondering what place is producing best!

Last edited by djpanda; 05-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM

But i have been hearing about some major winterkills. Bad winter
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM

I checked out Cardiff, Muir, Chickakoo and East Pit today. The only one that showed any sign of winterkill (read: dead fish on shore) was Muir. It, however, was also the only lake that even appeared to have live fish in it...

I never saw a single rise or fish at Cardiff, Chickakoo or East Pit. I talked to a guy at Cardiff who said he'd seen one jump and another guy at East Pit who said someone else had caught a little one earlier. The eagles at East Pit got a few too.

So I guess there are fish there, you just have to have the patience to find them.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Yeah, i think i will try Muir. I've heard rumors of decent trout at salters, but quite hard to believe. I went there last year and caught about 50 one evening all around 10"s
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
I checked out Cardiff, Muir, Chickakoo and East Pit today. The only one that showed any sign of winterkill (read: dead fish on shore) was Muir. It, however, was also the only lake that even appeared to have live fish in it...

I never saw a single rise or fish at Cardiff, Chickakoo or East Pit. I talked to a guy at Cardiff who said he'd seen one jump and another guy at East Pit who said someone else had caught a little one earlier. The eagles at East Pit got a few too.

So I guess there are fish there, you just have to have the patience to find them.
East pit used to be an amazing place for monster trout. I saw some trophy monster's come out of that place on a regular basis 7 years ago. It's too bad, once the place became more popular the fish size decreased dramatically. I guess that's how it is for everywhere thoe.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattattack View Post
East pit used to be an amazing place for monster trout. I saw some trophy monster's come out of that place on a regular basis 7 years ago. It's too bad, once the place became more popular the fish size decreased dramatically. I guess that's how it is for everywhere thoe.
Yep and the more lakes that get over fished like that, the more pressure that's going to be put on the remaining fisheries. Kind of a vicious cycle.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM

if those lakes are not very good now, where should we go?

any way to know about when re-stocking will happen?

I see a bunch of bigger lakes on google map but I dont know about them:
- Sandy lake
- cooking lake
- hastling lake
- Boag lake
- coal lake
- saunders lake

BTW, regarding Cardiff, I was there couple weeks ago and that pond should have more water.
The grades around the lake are high, it would be great if it had more water (fish would survive with less trouble)

Opposite to Muir in which if you want to increase depth, you would need to excavate, Cardif just need more water.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
i hhave to admit..eastpit is the best for monster trout..i landed a nice 5 pounder last october and my friend landed a nice 7 pounder..its great fishing...very rare i get skunked at eastpit
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
X2 For monster sized trout at eastpit.

I fished there 6 years back in the fall and caught a nice fat 4lber. I have also seen some really thick shouldered hogs in the winter that would almost bite my hook but then when would turn away at the last minute.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Ended up trying salters. Could not keep them off the hook! Only bad thing was they were about 8"s. Haha. Just found out it got stocked. Then went to muir and followed through with five. But size was a big difference. Biggest was 25". All in all a great fun day on the lake!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd View Post
i hhave to admit..eastpit is the best for monster trout..i landed a nice 5 pounder last october and my friend landed a nice 7 pounder..its great fishing...very rare i get skunked at eastpit
Good to hear there is still some big ones in there. Might have to actually check it out again this year. Havent gone there for a couple of years now.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM

I was at Beaumont last week and seen alot of winter kill with large (not last years stock) dead fish on shore and on the bottom. Did not have any life that I could see. That would be sad if all are dead as there had been a few old lunkers hanging around for the last few years.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM

i am going to eastpit this saturday 14th..iam hopeing to have a nice time there..hopefully it wont be windy..
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM

does anyone know when they will be restocking 4 seasons trout pond? i was there last saturday and nothing was jumping and i had no hits ..a few others fishing there were saying the same thing and no one seems to know when it wil be restocked.. normaly some big trout live threw out the winter here but this past winter was harsh and cold...any infoe would be great thnks..
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 PM

It will likely be stocked by May long weekend.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...ngReports.aspx
Here is a URL where the stocking reports can be viewed. They don't usually do a great job of updating it but you can see roughly when the lakes were stocked in the past few years.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd View Post
i am going to eastpit this saturday 14th..iam hopeing to have a nice time there..hopefully it wont be windy..
Let us know if you have any luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 PM

Default eastpit

i was going to go to EAST PIT LAKE THIS WEEKN but had to cancel due to this wind storm..now i got to wate another week...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Default hasse lake

got word that they might be starting to stock hasse lake again with trout..word has it that alot of people complained about hasse not being stock for the past few years (due to the pike) ....i for one hope they due start up the stocking program at hasse lake again..that lake was a really good fishing lake befor ..but once pike was introduce there the trout population droped and stocking was stoped..
Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 PM

I agree it would be awesome if they restocked hasse. Hopefully this time people respect the lake and don't dump perch or any other species in there.