Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Banned

Default Longer rod reccomendations.

Due to the amount of time I end up fishing Lesser Slave Lake from shore I'm thinking about getting a rod just for this purpose. I want a rod thats 9'- 12' long, I'll probably be casting up to 4oz max of lead and bait combined, probably closer to 2oz most of the time. I havnt yet decided wheather I'll go baitcasting or spinning and I dont want to spend over $100 on it. Most surf tackle is too heavy for what I need and most of the long salmon and steelhead rods seem to lack the backbone, I think what I'm looking for is called a "carp rod" maby?

Two rods I have concidered are a 9' MH Uglystick and the Cabellas European Predator rod, there must be more out there that will suit my needs though.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Fenswick canadian edition. cheap and fairly solid back bone
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM

I use a 9'6" Rapala North Coast rod on the NSR. I don't know how much backbone you're after, but I've pitched up to 7-8oz of lead with no problems. It's a MH/moderate fast.

It's still a salmon/steelhead rod, but it's a lot beefier than my Shimano Clarus.

Right around $100.

The Fenwick Canadian Methods rods also look pretty beefy without being a pool cue.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

I have a 10'6" salmon bar fishing rod. It is pretty soft but will throw a spoon or big lead and bait a country mile with my Abu Garcia 5600 bait caster on it.

Have used the AG 5600 on an AG 7'6" medium heavy to throw 2lbs of herring and lead for burbs. Worked well.

Lots of this kind of gear around second hand for great prices.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Go with the ugly stik and put on a Rapala 4000 spinning reeel. you will never get a bait caster to go out as far as the spinning reel without getting some big time back lashes.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Go with the ugly stik and put on a Rapala 4000 spinning reeel. you will never get a bait caster to go out as far as the spinning reel without getting some big time back lashes.
Seriously?

Well...at least your name is appropriate

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a big old DAM Quick spinning reel that I could use, sort of leaning towards putting my Ambassadeur on it too though. Would be a good excuse to get another Diawa BG too though. I have lots of 4000 size reels and IMO a little bigger is better for this, when I wade out 100 yards and toss the bait out another 50 or so by the time I go back to shore theres not much 10 lb mono left on a 4000 reel.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I agree with the Ugly Stick and bait casters are always back lashing. As for a reel I would go with a Quantum KVD40B spinnig reel. U may have to spend alittle more than $100 dollars but u will not regret it.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 PM

When setup properly a baitcaster should rarely backlash...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
I then have not been able to set one up properly. I have had no luck with them, and therfore don't use them.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Hi,
I wish I had my 12ft noodle rod here to take a pic of it. However I lent to a friend about 5 yrs ago and it hasnt made its way back yet, he is kinda a black hole for lending stuff to.

Anyways, I made this rod when I was 23 yrs old or so,, bought the blank etc. At that time I lived in Ontario and was ga ga for fishing steelhead. I also would bring it with me when visiting in BC.

I loved it, it truly was a noodle rod, you could take the the tip and bend the rod in a arc to the base of the handle. I used to love using it for fishing the Quinsam river in the fall.

It did have its limitations, as it was rated for 2 to 6 lb test line, but the rod action more than made up for that.

I have yet to go fishing in Alberta,,

Larry
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
I agree. I use them all the time. But to get real distance, one backs off the free spool slowly, and relies on the "infamous" educated thumb to keep it all in control. Then I can match my spinning casts for the same line wieght.

HOWEVER, eventually one forgets about the educated thumb, and bingo, backlash! For me, it is really an exercise in concentration.

For reference, when fishing for large pike, I throw heavy spoons & spinners (up to 4-5 oz) and up to 10" long plugs, averaging some 20-30 casts per hour. That's some forearm workout!

Vic
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
I agree. I use them all the time. But to get real distance, one backs off the free spool slowly, and relies on the "infamous" educated thumb to keep it all in control. Then I can match my spinning casts for the same line wieght.

HOWEVER, eventually one forgets about the educated thumb, and bingo, backlash! For me, it is really an exercise in concentration.

For reference, when fishing for large pike, I throw heavy spoons & spinners (up to 4-5 oz) and up to 10" long plugs, averaging some 20-30 casts per hour. That's some forearm workout!

Vic
^^^ This makes sense to me, I already use baitcasting gear about half the time for this type of fishing without any trouble. I bet putting it on a 10ft rod and trying to cast 100 yards is a little different though. Good chance I'll try it anyways just cause I realy like that Ambasadeur but trolling bottom bouncers with it doesnt quite justify its existance.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM

I had this 10ft shinamo TDR paired with a spinning reel that worked awesome for fishing the rivers and even ocean shore fishing for salmon in Alaska. I could chuck large spoons and even 6oz weights out a good distance and that rod was under $50.00. It took up to heavy abuse for 7 years until the top guide popped out.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 AM

IM USING A 8'6" SHIMANO Talora M/H with an ABU GARCIA 7000i reel. I can get 70 Yd casts with a 4oz weight and something dead for bait. No backlashes. and as stated befor with proper set up and usage, you won't get backlashes either....for larger baits and bigger rods a goos level wind is un stoppable. I love my spin casters for medium gear, but there is no subs for levelwinds for big, long casting gear. Look up the european long casting competitions. 200+ yrd casts, not a spinning reel in site or back lash for that matter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FZc...yer_detailpage
Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
IM USING A 8'6" SHIMANO Talora M/H with an ABU GARCIA 7000i reel. I can get 70 Yd casts with a 4oz weight and something dead for bait. No backlashes. and as stated befor with proper set up and usage, you won't get backlashes either....for larger baits and bigger rods a goos level wind is un stoppable. I love my spin casters for medium gear, but there is no subs for levelwinds for big, long casting gear. Look up the european long casting competitions. 200+ yrd casts, not a spinning reel in site or back lash for that matter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FZc...yer_detailpage
x2
Old 07-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Banned

I think I'm going to go with a 8'6" Uglystick and a baitcaster. At 8'6 it should work good for fishing big pike baits and trolling diving planers in the boat as well as fishing off the beach. Still concidering though, I dont troll divers or need a heavy pike rig anywhere near as often as I need to fire a bait rig a long ways off the beach.