Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Stopping in the Left Lane of a Highway...

To save a few ducks...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...commentwrapper

It's an interesting commentary on the human condition with respect to a lot of the reader comments made on this story.

While speed was a contributing factor I think, in the end she does have the bulk of the culpability in my view.

I doubt she'll do much if any time for her mistake.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:42 PM

She's an idiot. People are dead over ducklings; and we have an obvious example of how evolution has begun to til back down the damn hill.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Hate this story,all one should ever do at most is
get into right lane,put hazzards on in an
effort to slow others down, then after a few 100ft,
get back on with your life.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 PM

Here's my take in it; stopping on a highway to save ducklings is stupid. Speeding excessively on a motorcycle with your daughter on board, even more stupid.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Here's my take in it; stopping on a highway to save ducklings is stupid. Speeding excessively on a motorcycle with your daughter on board, even more stupid.
Two Wrongs don't make a Right, but imagine suddenly coming on a stopped car in the passing lane on the QE 2. How many of us would be able to stop ? Not very many I would say. She's an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Grizz
Old 06-21-2014, 03:34 PM

The sentencing will be intresting..
I'd like to see what she gets,however it won't be more then someone drinking and driving and killing someone. My guess is maybe a year and half, driving prohib for 3 years.. That's probably on the higher end of the sentence.
Either way.. What a terrible story
Old 06-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Anyone who is currently thinking it's probably ok to stop
on highways as this should go for ride alongs with tow trucks
and police!
I remember trying to change a rear drivers side flat tire as fast
as i safely could on Calgary trail south. Passing motorists had
absolutly no ounce of mercy as they recklessly flew by, please
don't mess around on roads folks,even if over some recent hatchlings!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Two Wrongs don't make a Right, but imagine suddenly coming on a stopped car in the passing lane on the QE 2. How many of us would be able to stop ? Not very many I would say. She's an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Grizz
The article says she was stopped, not that she slammed on the brakes right ahead of the motorcycle. Two completely different scenarios. Never come over a hill and had someone stopped in the left lane before? I have, on 3 occasions, twice for a moose standing on the shoulder, and once for a porcupine crossing. Pretty sure I didn't get into a wreck because of it. Why? Because I actually pay ATTENTION while I drive. Therein lies an issue endemic of society these days, nobody pays attention behind the wheel. People feel like driving is a right, it's not, it's a freaking privilege.

When I have the kids in the truck, boat, quad, you name it, I drive like a saint. Period. They're the most precious cargo I will ever have on board. Doing anything that threatens your child's well-being is inexcusable, plain and simple.

Again, girl who stopped = idiot. Guy on motorcycle = bigger idiot.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Again, girl who stopped = idiot. Guy on motorcycle = bigger idiot.
I would disagree, lot's of people speed, not many people just stop their vehicle on a highway. If he'd being going slower, accident might not have happened. If she hadn't stopped it would not have happened.

No one has perfect concentration, she had really bad judgement in my view.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM

City of Edmonton photo radar trucks and vans park on the left shoulders of the overpasses to ticket drivers on the Anthony Henday below. I always thought this was moronic too but at least a few of them turn their hazard lights on.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Banned

Stopping on the side of the highway is the new fad. Not only police officers pulling someone over, and photo radar trucks, but now people that "think" they are being safe by pulling over to chit chat on their phone or send a text. At least police have flashing lights for blinding people as they drive by.

At any rate she's an idiot. Speeding with your daughter on the bike...I'm gonna say also not a stroke of genius. Pretty sad turn of events over some ducks.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Exactly
Old 06-21-2014, 06:26 PM

With oncoming traffic the real hazard lies not so much in hitting an elk but the 100km x 2 head-on with the oncoming driver who reflexively swerves into my lane to avoid any animal.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
With oncoming traffic the real hazard lies not so much in hitting an elk but the 100km x 2 head-on with the oncoming driver who reflexively swerves into my lane to avoid any animal.
^^^ this... which is why every defensive driving course I have taken (lots) they always stress the point of hitting the animal versus the ditch...or worse
Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM

The Defensive Driving course I took opened my eyes to what happens out there that I had no idea of.

Up till then I considered myself a skilled driver.
Turns out I'd been stupid lucky ignorant - not skilled.

My driving style changed overnight. I knew what to look out for, how to give myself room and time so as to have options when stuff 'happens'. Having room and time is the real skill of driving. This paid off a few times, possibly saving myself and family from bad injuries or worse.

Still got T-boned last year though, by a distracted driver blowing a 1-way stop at a visually obstructed intersection. My scan hadn't picked up the other vehicle...it was moving in the blind spot. I knew about the partial obstruction but it was a good short cut. Yeah, right.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Banned

If she had save those ducks and no one had been hurt everyone one would celebrate.
If she ran them down like rats we would hate her.

Her intent was good.
Her method was not.

It is to easy to slam others when we know how the effort ends.

I guess we should teach our kids to not try or to do nothing because that is the safe way to make sure no one can blame you if what you try fails.
No son, do not ever take a chance in life.
That is the best way to avoide failing.
Yup.

No wonder people drive pass accidents and do not step up to help others.

Why suffer the harsh word of others who get to review your preformanse on TV later?

It was a bad decission and an accident but at least she had the courage to try and the mind to do what is right when others would not.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The Defensive Driving course I took opened my eyes to what happens out there that I had no idea of.

My driving style changed overnight. I knew what to look out for, how to give myself room and time so as to have options when stuff 'happens'. Having room and time is the real skill of driving. This paid off a few times, possibly saving myself and family from bad injuries or worse.

Still got T-boned last year though, by a distracted driver blowing a stop at a visually obstructed intersection. My scan hadn't picked up the other vehicle...it was moving in the blind spot. I knew about the partial obstruction but it was a good short cut. Yeah, right.
haha, not funny , but had a good argument about that with our head safety guy when he got T-boned.. he said," I knew it was a matter of time at that intersection", then asked us after he explained everything if it was preventable, or non-preventable. I was the only one who said preventable.... the first line of D driving is " do everything in your power to avoid an accident", he didn't, kept using that same route even though he "knew it was a matter of time"...
Old 06-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Hal your comment right there is totally valid and helpful to anyone reading this thread.

I didn't do all within my power to lessen the risk. Seconds before the accident I knew that I was on a less optimal route....then "BANG" came the confirmation. D'oh!

What was really cool is that the other driver immediately took full responsibility, admitting to blowing through the Stop, to being distracted.
I was impressed by this person's character, and so was the police.

Are you in loss prevention?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hal your comment right there is totally valid and helpful to anyone reading this thread.

I didn't do all within my power to lessen the risk. Seconds before the accident I knew that I was on a less optimal route....then "BANG" came the confirmation. D'oh!

Are you in loss prevention?
not in loss prevention, just been in the patch a long time, have seen to much carnage
Old 06-21-2014, 07:01 PM

Default 63

Yeah.
They couldn't pay me enough to drive Hwy. 63
Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yeah.
true,, had one rig working for me that set their obligatory signs at the entrance " report to supervisor, H2S, no smoking, ad nauseum that no one pays attention to any more, but on the back, as you were leaving the lease was "STOP!,you are about to begin the most dangerous part of your day!" thought it was very insightful....made the guys think anyway , I hope..
Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Hal: I will use that one. I

know I will get flamed here but I truly believe lack of trip planning and speed kill a large percentage (100% my guess but say 1/2) of the 17 or so folks we kill in the Oilfield each year.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Hal: I will use that one. I

know I will get flamed here but I truly believe lack of trip planning and speed kill a large percentage (100% my guess but say 1/2) of the 17 or so folks we kill in the Oilfield each year.
last stats I saw you from a few years back, it was over 50%, not sure lately
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM

drivers are terrible out there all the time for any old reason (well there are reasons....). got to be so careful now days. it's ridiculous really.

anyway as an aside, I noticed the city spraying something in the grassy areas around over passes, etc. in W. Edmonton last summer and it wasn't for weeds. I haven't seen a gopher in any of there usual haunts in said over pass areas at all this year. none in the field, none on the roads, no hawks on the poles. I think the city has been trying to kill them because they see them as a road hazard. seems so to me anyhow. it must have been hush hush unless I missed it.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Got my licence at 16, started driving with dad at 14. From 14 on he drilled into me if fido/garfield or a deer run out in your lane, try to slow down but if that fails, hit it. Do not swerve into another lane or a ditch to save a critter. A couple gofers and a rabbit to date have met their maker but I am always on the look out. Now I have had to slow down quite hard many times to avoid hitting deer etc, some i moved into the shoulder a bit which gave me a second more to slow down. Sometimes I was just waiting for the impact. A bit of luck may be the reason the critters didn't become road rash. As for the lady, the ducks and the dad and daughter, brutal that it ended that way. Lot's of if's. If she didn't stop, if he wasn't speeding. Could have ended so differently.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM

I was stopped at a Red light on Thursday saw some wing nut in Red Deer stop his truck in the right hand lane (yielding lane) at a major intersection. Thought he was broke down _Nope.

No hazzard lights on, standing behind his truck on the road getting something out the back of his truck. Turned out to be a yard sale sign he went to place in the median.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

Still got T-boned last year though, by a distracted driver blowing a 1-way stop at a visually obstructed intersection. My scan hadn't picked up the other vehicle...it was moving in the blind spot. I knew about the partial obstruction but it was a good short cut. Yeah, right.
One of the things my dad always told me when I had my learners permit and when I first started driving, was to always expect whoever was driving close to you to do the stupidest thing possible. Funny how often it happens. Saved me from a serious accident several times, and has probably saved my life more than once too.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Stopping on the side of the highway is the new fad. Not only police officers pulling someone over, and photo radar trucks, but now people that "think" they are being safe by pulling over to chit chat on their phone or send a text. At least police have flashing lights for blinding people as they drive by.

At any rate she's an idiot. Speeding with your daughter on the bike...I'm gonna say also not a stroke of genius. Pretty sad turn of events over some ducks.
Fyi- police don't generally pull drivers over on the left side of the road intentionally. That's just where some less than brilliant drivers decide to stop when lit up. Has always amazed me how many drivers will do this.

Nice try though
Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Fyi- police don't generally pull drivers over on the left side of the road intentionally. That's just where some less than brilliant drivers decide to stop when lit up. Has always amazed me how many drivers will do this.

Nice try though
I hope they get a ticket for that, too. From what I understand, one's supposed to pull over safely, in a safe location. Left side doesn't quite cut it.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah.
I drive it quit a bit, and its slowly improving the extra enforcement has bought the speed down, I would like to see short term mandary loss of licence for dangerous passing on a solid yellow, and also a improvement in line marking, there are sum stupid people, painting solid yellow lines, with km of visablity. worse when many areas were white.
Extra passing lanes, and twining are helping.

As for stopping in the left very foolish, as is speeding with your kid on the back of your bike.