Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Default Replacement Keys for a Toyota

Does anyone know if you get a replacement key and door opener for a toyota. Mine got mis-placed and now I am needing a new opener and Ignition key. And if so, what are we looking at for price?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 PM

I would start by calling the dealer, don't know if you have a spare or if the key you would need has some type of security device in it.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I would start by calling the dealer.
Yup....and your next step, from a standing position, is to place your right hand on your right ankle.....then your left hand on your left ankle

You'll need your VIN as well.

tm
Old 06-05-2011, 06:24 PM

So what you are saying it is going to be quite a few dollars to replace. I was thing thinking around $200, but from what you are saying, probably more. Great!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
So what you are saying it is going to be quite a few dollars to replace. I was thing thinking around $200, but from what you are saying, probably more. Great!!!
You might be okay for that, the key might be fairly cheap, again though it depends if there is a security device installed. If there isn't and you have a spare, Canadian Tire should be able to cut you a new one for relatively cheap. The same goes for the key fob, if its just for the door locks, it might be cheap, or if it has the factory command start, it will be more money.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 PM

My neighbour lost her key for her lexus a month ago and that was $300. She still had her remote though so I don't know what that one is gonna cost you

Hers had a security chip in the key.

tm
Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
My neighbour lost her key for her lexus a month ago and that was $300. She still had her remote though so I don't know what that one is gonna cost you

tm
Girlfriends remotes for her Pontiac crapped out, they were replaced on warranty, but I think the parts person at the dealer said they were about 250 bucks a piece. They are for the factory remote starter, not sure how much difference that makes.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM

What make and year of toyota?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 PM

I would highly suggest finding said missing set.
Otherwise you will be out around 500.00 or so.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 AM

OUCH, I bet that hurts! Good luck finding them!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Just went through this. $10 bucks for a key that JUST opens door and trunk. They cut it at the dealership with a hand machine. Blanks are only available at the dealer. Ignition has to be reprogrammed- Takes about an hour. You need ownership proof etc. I was quoted 58 for ignition key and a $100 for program. Opted for the door key only and Lo and Behold two days later went to plant the garden and found my key in the seed box. Note: These keys are cut from a number code NOT from using your key as a guide. All makes with codes are expensive, not just Toyota.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Just went through this. $10 bucks for a key that JUST opens door and trunk. They cut it at the dealership with a hand machine. Blanks are only available at the dealer. Ignition has to be reprogrammed- Takes about an hour. You need ownership proof etc. I was quoted 58 for ignition key and a $100 for program. Opted for the door key only and Lo and Behold two days later went to plant the garden and found my key in the seed box. Note: These keys are cut from a number code NOT from using your key as a guide. All makes with codes are expensive, not just Toyota.
I was able to get the same cut. It was for a car that had no chip in the key. I had to bring the vin and also a code that was inside the door behind the door panel. They cut a brand new key using those 2 #'s together. That became my new master key and had any copies made from that one.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Default Buy replacements off the web!

The dealer quoted me something insane for replacement keys and door clickers. I ordered mine off ebay for less than 1/4 the price. I have a 2006 truck. "Professional car keys" was the ebay vendor for my transponder ignition keys, two of them were $35 shipped to my door. Any dealership can cut them for you, no issues. "Keyless4u" was for the clickers, $85 shipped for two. All new OEM equipment, worked perfectly.

Programming them took a couple of tries to get figured out, but less than 10 minutes total.

Hope that saves you some money, it sure did me!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
The key fob opener for my Mazda (the key flips out of it) costs about $600 to replace.

The key flips out of it like a flick-knife.

Last edited by Photoplex; 06-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM

You can get an a full functioning laptop for $400 and a simple chip key costs $600. Rediculous! And car companies want bailout money only to hit us where the sun don't shine....nice.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Default $600 at your dealer or $45 bucks on ebay

What looks like that mazda key is available here for $45 currently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...s#ht_704wt_941

The markup is crazy on stuff like this!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
What looks like that mazda key is available here for $45 currently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...s#ht_704wt_941

The markup is crazy on stuff like this!
Not quite the same key - mine has the boot (trunk) opener.

They said most of the cost comes from reprogramming the car, ignition, and the new and old key fob (I have 2 already - one that works, and the other that doesn't)

Daylight robbery

What is truly mind boggling is that I bought a replacement wing mirror for it (electric, heated, painted/colour coded) and that cost me $230
Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Programming is easy

That "programming is really difficult" excuse seemed logical on me until I tried it, took ten minutes on my toyota. Looks simple on Mazdas too. http://www.cheapfobs.com/blog/key-pr...gm-mazda-ford/
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
That "programming is really difficult" excuse seemed logical on me until I tried it, took ten minutes on my toyota. Looks simple on Mazdas too. http://www.cheapfobs.com/blog/key-pr...gm-mazda-ford/
That is most interesting... hmmmm. I need 2 working keys for that...

I wonder if the second key I have will work. It still starts the car, but it won't unlock the doors etc from the buttons... I'm guessing that means the transponder is ok, but the transmitter portion is busted?