Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Hillyard's Bay mid January

Haven't been out in a few years, thinking this January for a few nights ,anyone been out that way in the last few years how is the fishing been, it was getting pretty busy there the last time I was out lots and lots of rental Shacks. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 03:54 PM

Default Cut bank

We've been up a few times the past couple of years, the fishing has been just ok, we had to work to get our limits. Lots of people out as well.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:59 PM

Not sure how much this will help as we have been up a few times but always go in March. We've done pretty good but treat the cabins we stayed at as accomodations first and fishing second. The one year if we would have stuck to the cabins we might have left skunked but did some searching on the deep flat away from the drop and ended up having a great trip. Movement was key. Have also had good fishing from the cabins so not sure what makes the fish relate closer to the break or not year to year as they migrate west.

As for mid January haven't been but try and pay attention to the fishing reports and seems pretty hit and miss with more miss. If I were to go early would probably try further east. Just my two cents.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:48 PM

Thanks yes the cabins are just a place to sleep will be moving around Lots

Old 12-10-2021, 09:32 PM

I’ve bin fishing cutbank for the last 4 years and have bin out there early January and had great fishing both out of the cabins and moving around but still staying close to the drop and cabins. Expect slow fishing during the day but sunup and sunset will be your best times to catch the eyes. Try to play the wind for your trip anything out of the North or west the best and anything south or east the bite can get tough. We found dead sticking can also be very effective way to catching the eyes on those tough bites. Then on good days jiggin obviously works very well. Try diffrent lures also don’t get stuck on jig heads and minnows for everybody is dropping them down and the eyes get wise to them. Good luck and don’t forget the minnows.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I’ve bin fishing cutbank for the last 4 years and have bin out there early January and had great fishing both out of the cabins and moving around but still staying close to the drop and cabins. Expect slow fishing during the day but sunup and sunset will be your best times to catch the eyes. Try to play the wind for your trip anything out of the North or west the best and anything south or east the bite can get tough. We found dead sticking can also be very effective way to catching the eyes on those tough bites. Then on good days jiggin obviously works very well. Try diffrent lures also don’t get stuck on jig heads and minnows for everybody is dropping them down and the eyes get wise to them. Good luck and don’t forget the minnows.
Thanks should be there 12 13 14 jan