Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Banned

Default sturgeon fishing in n.s.r.

i have started fishing the nsr recently and was wondering if anyone has some tips for sturgeon? iv'e heard there in the nsr but have never caught one or know anyone who has. is it the same rig as for pike? one fellow suggested using a whole chicken but i think he was pulling my drumstick and i,ll save the chicken for the bbq. what lbs. test line do you use? do they hang out by deep pools? anyone have any pics? thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM

I am an NSR sturgeon rookie as well, and always like to hear tips and tricks from the guys who have had success...

I tried it out twice last fall in NSR. I launched my boat at Goldbar and tried a couple nice holes (11-15' deep) between Goldbar and Rundle Park. I've done a couple guided sturgeon trips with success on the Fraser River in the past and tried to employ a similar tactic that I learned there.

I've just been using a 7' heavy action rod, 30lb braid on a standard baitcasting reel. I rigged up my line with a 3-way swivel. On the bottom, a 3oz pyramid weight, and on the business-end an 18" floro leader with a 4/0 circle hook. As for bait, I've tried large dew worms and smelts. I know on the Fraser we used salmon roe-bags and just simple fresh cut-bait and it works like a charm.

I didn't have any luck yet, but when I can get back out on the NSR I'm going to try some different baits. Everyone seems to have their favorites, but I tend to think that if you have a bait near the bottom at the right time, a sturgeon will take almost anything. I managed to catch a big Sucker with my setup (estimated 10lbs), so I know my rig is in the right zone.

One day I will get lucky I hope. .
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

If you are catching suckers...then you are on the right track to catch sturgeon.

.....kind of like coyote calling.....if the magpies are coming you are making the right sound....

LC
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM

I re-tie pickeral rigs with better line and hooks and use crawlers.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Find a hole about ten ft deep with suckers and wait should be sturgeon near by im going to try using chunk of sucker this year for sturgeon bait
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
I am an NSR sturgeon rookie as well, and always like to hear tips and tricks from the guys who have had success...

I tried it out twice last fall in NSR. I launched my boat at Goldbar and tried a couple nice holes (11-15' deep) between Goldbar and Rundle Park. I've done a couple guided sturgeon trips with success on the Fraser River in the past and tried to employ a similar tactic that I learned there.

I've just been using a 7' heavy action rod, 30lb braid on a standard baitcasting reel. I rigged up my line with a 3-way swivel. On the bottom, a 3oz pyramid weight, and on the business-end an 18" floro leader with a 4/0 circle hook. As for bait, I've tried large dew worms and smelts. I know on the Fraser we used salmon roe-bags and just simple fresh cut-bait and it works like a charm.

I didn't have any luck yet, but when I can get back out on the NSR I'm going to try some different baits. Everyone seems to have their favorites, but I tend to think that if you have a bait near the bottom at the right time, a sturgeon will take almost anything. I managed to catch a big Sucker with my setup (estimated 10lbs), so I know my rig is in the right zone.

One day I will get lucky I hope. .

keep at it, your doing everything correct. Good tackle and lots of patience is the number 1 key to success. We went from catching a few every year to a couple every night.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
keep at it, your doing everything correct. Good tackle and lots of patience is the number 1 key to success. We went from catching a few every year to a couple every night.

also quite often when your catching walleye and large number of suckers the Sturgeon arent to far behind at least the spot we fish at .
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM

This is from last year. I use worms and patience.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
This is from last year. I use worms and patience.

Andy
And lots of time , how many times did you go there before you caught that , 5 or 6 ? Thats before me and Jay spent countless days out there . But were addicts .
Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM

I put in a lot of hours on the river. And got a few pointers from the right people.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."