Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 PM

Default Lac la biche?

Has anybody been fishing Lac la biche lake lately? How’s it been? Thank you for the replies.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:54 AM
Banned

Scene of the inaugural LLB fishing tournament this June. To replace the lose of the Moose Lake venue.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:50 AM

Fishing has been hit or miss, lots of ice and snow. Walleye fishing has really went downhill from a few years ago due to netting and over fishing. Went to one of my fishing spots the other day and see 100 foot nets sprawled out. Big lake though, she should survive. I just miss catching 20-30 walleye in a morning there, now you're lucky to get 5 a day in winter unless the bite is crazy.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:13 AM

why does the government stock fish for people to net them and clean out the lake again and again .
Old 03-14-2021, 10:00 AM

The netting is not a major issue in llb the problem is they never opened up fishing soon enough and now the walleye has eaten almost all of the bait fish they are starving to death. The fishing is worse now than it was when we had dozens of commercial fishers fishing every day. The lake has collapsed IMO. Or it will soon
Old 03-14-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
The netting is not a major issue in llb the problem is they never opened up fishing soon enough and now the walleye has eaten almost all of the bait fish they are starving to death. The fishing is worse now than it was when we had dozens of commercial fishers fishing every day. The lake has collapsed IMO. Or it will soon
Kind of an ironic statement, any evidence to support these opinions? Any year I fished LLB the walleye fishing was usually great, specifically in winter. Since they opened this lake up, the walleye fishing has been all but good. Summer time isn't a problem getting walleye but winter sure has changed. It was really nice having a lake that had great walleye fishing all year round, until now. These are just my observations, I usually just follow what my eyes show me.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:47 AM

I have caught walleye of nearly every year class in LLB this winter. The fish are incredibly girthy and very healthy. The lake is just fine.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2021, 07:46 AM
Banned

It seems to me that if the Province has issued a permit to hold a competitive fishing event on LLB then they have decided that the fishery is healthy. At the same time, Moose Lake has been declared 'collapsed' and a permit to hold a tournament has been declined in spite the fact that the organizers from the Elk Point Lions club initiated a catch-photo-release format in 2020.

While I know that not all anglers participate in nor necessarily agree with walleye tournaments, surely the inclusion (or exclusion) of such events would be indicative of the state of the health of the lakes as stated by accredited officials.

Free
Old 03-15-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Lac la biche

We fished it hard for two days last week, and ended up catching 8 pike and 2 walleye. Very slow bite. The fish we did catch were in excellent shape though.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:01 PM

Big lake. Big fish. Just need to know where to go.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Big lake. Big fish. Just need to know where to go.
Correct.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2021, 10:50 PM

Fished it yesterday for the first time. Fished popular point area and off of plamondon Bay Area. Caught a lot of smaller perch in popular point. Caught a pile of nice healthy jacks as well. Nothing under 4-5lb in Jack department. Couldn’t find any walleye. Lots of nets in popular point area as well.
Ice was 32” still with about 8-10 inches of hard going snow