Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Default New rifle??

Ok so I got a big promotion at work and since I have more money then planned I am thinking about a new rifle. I currently have a 7mmremmag 7.62X39mm a 22-250 a .22lr and a 12 gauge. Where does a guy go from here?? what would be a good caliber to go to next???
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM

A big bore lever would be a nice addition
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Fast-twist .223, .375 Ruger, .243, .25-06, .260, .30-06, .45-70 GG, etc, etc. Any idea whether you want to go bigger than what you currently have, or fill in a gap somewhere? What do you want to use the rifle for? Bush gun, LR target shooter/hunter, etc?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Ok so I got a big promotion at work and since I have more money then planned I am thinking about a new rifle. I currently have a 7mmremmag 7.62X39mm a 22-250 a .22lr and a 12 gauge. Where does a guy go from here?? what would be a good caliber to go to next???
You got good collections of rifles. Go save your money or pay existing debt.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM

Get an o/u 20gauge and you'll never shoot anything else!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
Fast-twist .223, .375 Ruger, .243, .25-06, .260, .30-06, .45-70 GG, etc, etc. Any idea whether you want to go bigger than what you currently have, or fill in a gap somewhere? What do you want to use the rifle for? Bush gun, LR target shooter/hunter, etc?
It would be for hunting. As far as going bigger, the mag has plenty of power to take every game animal with-out absolute shot placement (from what i have seen) But thats why I ask you people, I have no ideas what I want, I know I want a new one LMAO. But I will be using it most for hunting, and often shooting at the range. I dunno whats a bigger question, should I marry this woman. or, what is the next caliber to choose. I think those may be the toughest questions life can offer
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Do an inventory, maybe you can use ur money on something else like new scope, gear, spotting scope, range finder, heck maybe buy a new bow
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 PM

The 7RM is big enough for anything you may hunt in NA, so you don't NEED a bigger rifle, but sometimes bigger is fun

The .375 Ruger is on my list of guns to buy, just for fun! It's expensive to shoot, though, compared to the smaller guns.

A fast-twist .223 is a ton of fun shooting LR targets and varmints, but no hunting allowed with that one.

I started out hunting with a 7RM, and then decided that it was way more than enough gun for deer, so I got a .243. That is a great coyote/deer rifle with low recoil, low cost, and less noise. It's great for LR shooting with a 105gr A-Max or VLD, too.

The .25-06 may just be the perfect sub-500 yard deer rifle, IMO, and that's what I mainly use for deer these days. The .260 would be more of the same, in a shorter package, and greater availability of good LR bullets, if long-range shooting interests you.

Can never go wrong with a .30-06! 'Nuff said.

A .45-70 GG would be great when you are hunting the thick stuff, or when you're trailing a wounded bear into the bush

When's all said and done, cartridge is not the most important consideration here. Figure out what kind of rifle you want, and then pick the cartridge that tickles your fancy the most, with consideration given to twist rates, velocities, and available bullets in that caliber.

Are you after a fast-handling big bore level gun, or a heavy, LR hunting rifle like a Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua? Light-weight hiking rifle suit your fancy? Are you looking for SS and synthetic, or wood and blued CM? Choices, choices!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Big bore for fun. That's what I'm doing. 45-70
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
It would be for hunting. As far as going bigger, the mag has plenty of power to take every game animal with-out absolute shot placement (from what i have seen) But thats why I ask you people, I have no ideas what I want, I know I want a new one LMAO. But I will be using it most for hunting, and often shooting at the range. I dunno whats a bigger question, should I marry this woman. or, what is the next caliber to choose. I think those may be the toughest questions life can offer
You can always sell a gun...getting rid of wives can be pricy...so I've been told.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 PM

Get a proper Bi-pod for your buddy so he can ditch that mono pod contraption of his!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
You got good collections of rifles. Go save your money or pay existing debt.
i agree with Dennis, you got a good caliber spread now. not sure what breed (or debt) you have now, but if its burning a hole in your pocket, maybe its time to sell the 7mm and upgrade, maybe a fine custom from an Alberta gunsmith........or for the same money... even a composite stocked blaser in 7 rem mag is really quite affordable..and very hard to put down. Im a beleiver in one quality gun/glass combo as a go-to gun. rather than a lockup full of consumer grade shelf guns, focus on quality over quantity.

-maybe africa for a 2013 5 animal plains game/7 day is something to think about. its probably costs about the same as new quad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
Get a proper Bi-pod for your buddy so he can ditch that mono pod contraption of his!
Loki, maybe hit up ol'moneybags for a trip to africa, over there, a tracker carries your tripod (psst! ask big...then a set of harris pods seem cheap)

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 03-26-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM

I didn't see any handguns on your list... You Might have to look into that.

Cheap .22lr hand guns are fun, don't know if you have restricted thought.