Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Default My move to the dark side is nearly complete

For a few years I was shooting trad bows and hunting from the ground. I simply loved the idea of the simplicity and the challenge of heading outdoors with my recurve or longbow, a few wood arrows, tags and a knife. Putting my wits and skills against the formidable defences of whitetails and elk. The practice regime of a trad bow is somewhat onerous and requires quite a bit of time. With that time came the satisfaction of mastering the art of shooting with no peep, pins, wheels and the like. With the arrival of my 3rd and 4th kids I have found the practice became more rushed and less effective. I saw my satisfaction turn to frustration. This shrunk the effective range and led to a few key misses last fall. My tags went to soup and all those hungry mouths had to settle for store bought beef, pork and on a few lbs of deer from my brother in law.

Last year I had two knee surgeries and in the midst of lots of horizontal time with ice bags and surgical bands I began contemplating a move to a compound. I just didn't feel right with the amount of practice I was missing and how I "felt" in those moments of truth... Full of doubt. I believed in my heart that if I was going to keep bowhunting I had to make a compromise. I also felt torn between spending more time with my kids and practicing to the level I felt was required. Another reason for a compromise. The problem is... As you might guess, I'm a man of extremes. Thanks to my very accommodating and supportive wife I decided to switch to the dark side. (Or rather revert). Besides, she wants better results to take the sting out of the grocery bill that comes with having a 9, 6, 3 and 1 year old.
This past winter I broke down and bought a new APA mamba 6, high end sight and drop away rest and all the trimmings. I set up some arrows and with all those reps on the trad bow in the war chest I quickly increased my competency with a compound. I scheduled 2 days a week of practice and stuck to it. Of course my comfort level has increased along with my effective range. Fast forward a few months and I began thinking about a more passive approach to some of the places I hunt. (My somewhat reduced mobility factors into this) Could I, the most impatient hunter in the world, sit in a tree and wait for a deer to walk by?
Well, I'm going to find out. Again, the mrs said go for it so a new tool for my arsenal. I hope to add more th the story and I certainly won't give up on my idealism of shooting trad. I guess I'm a go big or stay home kind of guy.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 PM

Love every second on that uncomfortable peice of metal strapped to a tree..puts me in my happy place lol good luck!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:33 PM

LOL.......and here i thought it was gonna end with you buying a crossbow !!! Oh well welcome to the only world i have ever known and quite enjoy, good luck with the new toy!!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 PM

Welcome to the dark side!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Welcome to the dark side!
Thanks!

I guess the dark art of crossbows is where I draw the line for now.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Thanks!

I guess the dark art of crossbows is where I draw the line for now.
Haha same here. Those are for old guys!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 AM

good luck
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Banned

If you say you are an impatient fellow, I can't wait to hear how things go after a few hunts. Sitting in a blind or stand completly still and silent for hours at a time is a true test of patience. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:58 AM

I would recommend adding a harness, safety line to your stand and use a linemans belt when installing it. Things I did not worry about before but with a kid and wife at home and some close calls with icy steps I thought I should add them to my arsenal.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
I would recommend adding a harness, safety line to your stand and use a linemans belt when installing it. Things I did not worry about before but with a kid and wife at home and some close calls with icy steps I thought I should add them to my arsenal.

Be safe and have fun.
Always! Strap on to the tree, stay safe.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:25 PM

Default For sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Always! Strap on to the tree, stay safe.
I have a good background as a rock climber so I'm all over the safety. I will!

I won't use a line unless I plan to go up and down in the same day. I don't plan to ever leave this stand in the bush. My system consists of a linemans belt I fab'd using an ascender and static climbing grade rope. My tree strap is very similar but utilizes a prusik knot and carabiner to attach my to my harness. I'm not the biggest fan of the harness the LW came with compared to my climbing gear which is far less likely to cinch around the femoral artery and cause suspension trauma. I will carry a few extra slings to give me an escape. The suspension relief strap is junk IMO.

Headed out tonight to practice with the new stand.

Last edited by Knotter; 09-24-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Sorry to hear about your knees.
Make sure you pick a solid tree or you might be rocked to sleep by a breeze. Consider making a natural ground blind if you don't like the tree stand. Or try a tower stand with a 360 chair if you have a good spot to leave it set up... Way more comfortable and you don't need a tree.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM

You picked an awesome stand and stick combo! I had that exact setup for years and it performed fantastically. I sold it when I was short on cash and was doing more ground-hunting.

After a few years going without, I bought the climber and am really happy with it as well.

Best of luck to you! The dark side welcomes you.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Good luck
Old 09-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sorry to hear about your knees.
Make sure you pick a solid tree or you might be rocked to sleep by a breeze. Consider making a natural ground blind if you don't like the tree stand. Or try a tower stand with a 360 chair if you have a good spot to leave it set up... Way more comfortable and you don't need a tree.
Good advice about pinking a tree. I was looking at one this morning that I thought might be a candidate but it was puckered full of holes. Likely hollow inside. Climbers call this manky.

Yeah the knees are going to haunt me so I have to be kind to them now.
I'm heading out tonight to do about 10 reps up and down a tree to get the motions and setup dialed in. I might post a few pics here for a critique.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
You picked an awesome stand and stick combo! I had that exact setup for years and it performed fantastically. I sold it when I was short on cash and was doing more ground-hunting.

After a few years going without, I bought the climber and am really happy with it as well.

Best of luck to you! The dark side welcomes you.
Thanks SB. Which climber did you go with?. I seriously debated that route but thought the sticks gave me more flexibility in terms of tree types with the trade off being weight.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 PM

Default My move to the dark side is nearly complete

I thought you were going to say you bought a crossbow. LOL That will be next year I guess. I hear compounds are a gateway drug.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 PM

Default Nah. Attack/hunting drones

Or arrows that are rocket propelled with heartbeat detecting guidance systems.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 PM

Default A few pics.

Any thoughts?

The linemans belt using ascender.

The tree tether with my mug in the foreground.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Looking good!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:29 AM

Looks like a good set up.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks SB. Which climber did you go with?. I seriously debated that route but thought the sticks gave me more flexibility in terms of tree types with the trade off being weight.
I was tossing up getting the new Hawk Warbird climber at Cabelas, and the Lone Wolf Wide Sit-And-Climb. The Lone Wolf was heavily discounted at the time (which rarely happens) so I bought the Wide Sit-And-Climb. The thing I like about it is that I can buy the hand-climber seat kit if I want, or convert it to a flip-top. I bought a set of tree steps again too. The only gripe I have about them is that the foot pegs are only on one side or the other - Muddy and Hawk make lightweight tree steps that have the pegs on both sides.

I don't care for the harnesses that came with them, but the lines with the pruissic knots and carabiners are better than the straps that come with other stands. I'm sure I lost one or two to my hunting buddies because they like them too. No biggie, I'm just glad that they are strapping in. Hunter's specialties make similar lines, but they are heavier and less durable.

Like you, I had a hard time trying to determine what was better for my needs - I loved the Alpha hang-on for the flexibility, but I find I'm getting pretty quick and portable with the climber.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 09-25-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 AM

Looks like yer all rigged up!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I was tossing up getting the new Hawk Warbird climber at Cabelas, and the Lone Wolf Wide Sit-And-Climb. The Lone Wolf was heavily discounted at the time (which rarely happens) so I bought the Wide Sit-And-Climb. The thing I like about it is that I can buy the hand-climber seat kit if I want, or convert it to a flip-top. I bought a set of tree steps again too. The only gripe I have about them is that the foot pegs are only on one side or the other - Muddy and Hawk make lightweight tree steps that have the pegs on both sides.

I don't care for the harnesses that came with them, but the lines with the pruissic knots and carabiners are better than the straps that come with other stands. I'm sure I lost one or two to my hunting buddies because they like them too. No biggie, I'm just glad that they are strapping in. Hunter's specialties make similar lines, but they are heavier and less durable.

Like you, I had a hard time trying to determine what was better for my needs - I loved the Alpha hang-on for the flexibility, but I find I'm getting pretty quick and portable with the climber.

Hey Stinky, this will sound a bit odd but are you sure you have your sticks together properly. Flip the middle section and you should have steps on both sides. Only suggesting this as I put together a three section set and ended up with all pegs on one side lol. If not I agree I would not buy sticks with steps on one side either. Good luck out there
Old 09-25-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
Hey Stinky, this will sound a bit odd but are you sure you have your sticks together properly. Flip the middle section and you should have steps on both sides. Only suggesting this as I put together a three section set and ended up with all pegs on one side lol. If not I agree I would not buy sticks with steps on one side either. Good luck out there

Haha! Nah, I flip the pegs so that they alternate, like so:

Sticks like the Hawk Helium and raZOR have the pegs on both sides:

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 09-25-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Pretty sweet setup! Never thought to use an ascender on the Lineman's belt. Neat idea.

Do you find that you are making a lot of adjustments on the Lineman's belt as you go up and down?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Pretty sweet setup! Never thought to use an ascender on the Lineman's belt. Neat idea.

Do you find that you are making a lot of adjustments on the Lineman's belt as you go up and down?

Not too many adjustments but it allows a one handed operation both ways. Very handy in an overhang section as I found out yesterday. I did 3 different trees and I liked the convenience of ascender. I cant take credit for the idea. I saw it on a youtube channel call traditional bowhunter's podcast. The guy's name is Jason S... something. Quite an entertaining fellow.

the second set of sticks in your pics look cool. I like that the rails come out at an angle from the tree. You can centre your foot on the peg instead of the ball of your foot. The LW sticks are nice but you dont want to hang out too long on them. When my apprentices start hunting with me they would probably prefer to have the rungs on both sides. Thanks!

I almost bought a sit and climb as well but balked at the last minute for the sticks and hang on.

k
Old 09-26-2015, 01:58 AM

I love my lone wolf sticks. I think they are the best hunting item I have bought other than my bow.