Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2024, 11:26 AM

Default My Book

I have my book Day To Day “The Blurry Years” for sale in the for sale section..now I’m not trying to sell in the discussion thread, but anyone that ordered one and have read it…please put your review right here as I’d be curious as to what you think and did it give you a few smiles and laughs…
Thank you to anyone that bought one off Amazon!
I appreciate your thoughts good or bad..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-28-2024, 12:57 PM

Just sent my wife this info. She grew up in Tuk in the 70’s.

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:37 PM

Got my copy! Looking forward to reading it while lounging in my campsite hammock.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Just sent my wife this info. She grew up in Tuk in the 70’s.

Thanks, Dodger.
Your wife will know a lot of people I know either from Tuk or Inuvik..I was there late 70’s till I left and then went back in the middle 80’s
Our family cabin was only 15 miles from Bar C..( your wife will know exactly where that is ) Ask her if she knows where Ya Ya Lakes are, that’s where our family cabin is….really not that far from Tuk..
Cool, thanks for your post
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-28-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Got my copy! Looking forward to reading it while lounging in my campsite hammock.
Hahaha…I’m glad you have one…enjoy the hammock read
I bet you laugh alittle….
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-28-2024, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up Zip. Wife always includes a book about the far north in my presents. Still planning on another trip to Alaska.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:50 PM

Ebook and paper?
Old 05-28-2024, 04:39 PM

I was in Inuvik once back in the 90s
Not sure how they survived up there with out natural gas .
They have it know after we drill that hole for them .
Old 05-28-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Your wife will know a lot of people I know either from Tuk or Inuvik..I was there late 70’s till I left and then went back in the middle 80’s
Our family cabin was only 15 miles from Bar C..( your wife will know exactly where that is ) Ask her if she knows where Ya Ya Lakes are, that’s where our family cabin is….really not that far from Tuk..
Zip
My father-in-law was town manager in Tuk during the early 70's. My wife was just a young girl and she and her two sisters stood out as white girls with long blond hair. She made all her own mukluks and fur jackets in Inuvik when she grew up. She even had an elder teach her moose hair tufting.

Her school principle was Mr Leary and his daughter was a good friend. She lived by the peninsula with the RMCP across the street.

She use to take the skidoo and have her lunches out by the pingo.

Dodger.
Old 05-28-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ebook and paper?
Yes…either way TM..on Amazon
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-28-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
My father-in-law was town manager in Tuk during the early 70's. My wife was just a young girl and she and her two sisters stood out as white girls with long blond hair. She made all her own mukluks and fur jackets in Inuvik when she grew up. She even had an elder teach her moose hair tufting.

Her school principle was Mr Leary and his daughter was a good friend. She lived by the peninsula with the RMCP across the street.

She use to take the skidoo and have her lunches out by the pingo.

Dodger.
Awesome…I have a picture of a friend of mine who played volleyball in grade 9 in Tuk…the team picture, let’s just say, he’s easy to spot in the group…lol
I’ve been inside the one Pingo that holds all the hunters harvests…a community freezer way back then…I was in that one in the 70’s, it’s awesome how they let people give and take food from there…
The far North is a wonderful place…I loved my time up there, as my book will tell ya…
Thanks for the little chat
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-28-2024, 08:17 PM

Just ordered a copy. I love reading these types of books in my adventure truck out camping. Book should be here in a couple days and I’m heading out west camping Sunday!
Old 05-29-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Just ordered a copy. I love reading these types of books in my adventure truck out camping. Book should be here in a couple days and I’m heading out west camping Sunday!
Thanks ordering one, I hope you enjoy some of the stories…and it’s only season 1…I’m busy writing season 2 now…
Much appreciated
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-31-2024, 06:28 AM

Default On Its way

Ordered one from Amazon that should be here today. Will let you know my thoughts once I read it. I'll donate to our library once I've read it.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Ordered one from Amazon that should be here today. Will let you know my thoughts once I read it. I'll donate to our library once I've read it.
Thank you…hope you enjoy the stories in season 1..
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-27-2024, 04:14 PM

Well, I finally had a chance to read your book, Zip!

I have to say, it sure is an enjoyable read! Your writing style really captures the humor and mindset under which you had those experiences.

I really liked the parts about how those in the community helped each other - and how you gave those shout-outs to the police who have a tough job working up there. It was great to read how they cut you slack when you needed it, while making sure you stayed safe.

And regarding safety in cold climates - with our cold weather here, we've kind of forgotten about keeping critical survival supplies in our vehicles. It's a good reminder how even a short afternoon jaunt could turn deadly if you aren't prepared when the weather turns.

While reading the book, for some unknown reason, I developed a hankering for a stiff drink or two... Dunno what was up with that...

Great job, Zip!
Old 08-27-2024, 05:06 PM

Having just come back from that neck of the woods, I'm interested.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-27-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Zip
Thats crazy....back when I was in the field still my company did the demolition of Bar C and the barge dock there (didnt do the remediation, that was another outfit.....dont want to be associated with the side of that site . Was a cool job and very neat country, who woulda thought that someone here had a cabin on the tundra 15 miles from there lol.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I was in Inuvik once back in the 90s
Not sure how they survived up there with out natural gas .
They have it know after we drill that hole for them .
The Dempster highway was actually built as an oil and gas exploration road, now it's a tourist bucket list thing.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-28-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Well, I finally had a chance to read your book, Zip!

I have to say, it sure is an enjoyable read! Your writing style really captures the humor and mindset under which you had those experiences.

I really liked the parts about how those in the community helped each other - and how you gave those shout-outs to the police who have a tough job working up there. It was great to read how they cut you slack when you needed it, while making sure you stayed safe.

And regarding safety in cold climates - with our cold weather here, we've kind of forgotten about keeping critical survival supplies in our vehicles. It's a good reminder how even a short afternoon jaunt could turn deadly if you aren't prepared when the weather turns.

While reading the book, for some unknown reason, I developed a hankering for a stiff drink or two... Dunno what was up with that...

Great job, Zip!
Awesome…Thank you for your kind words, I love your last little paragraph..we were young and having a ton of fun…or at least tried to!
Yes, the RCMP in Inuvik deserve another shout out…they were our friends when needed, but also officers when they had to be!
Great to hear your thoughts on my precious book of fun and dumb stuff!
“KEEP SMILING”
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-28-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Having just come back from that neck of the woods, I'm interested.
If you decide to get a book…please give me a review after your done with it..I appreciate everyone that reads my stories..
Did you just go for a drive or went to visit family or friends?
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-28-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Thats crazy....back when I was in the field still my company did the demolition of Bar C and the barge dock there (didnt do the remediation, that was another outfit.....dont want to be associated with the side of that site . Was a cool job and very neat country, who woulda thought that someone here had a cabin on the tundra 15 miles from there lol.
We often parked our boat once inside the back side of Bar C if we just came across heavy waves while trying to cross over the main McKenzie that veered off to the right and on to Tuk. Somedays it was a horrible experience..but nothing a few whiskeys couldn’t cure…
You were so close to our cabin right there..plus a few others now!
In the winter we would drive our trucks and trailers of skidoo’s, and park at Bar C, then drive our sleds and supplies into our lake where the cabin still sits today. My last trip up was when I put a pontoon boat in at Hay River and then went 1200 miles all the way to our cabin…7 days to get to Inuvik..that was in 2014, I couldn’t believe how much the landscaped had changed without the familiar Bar C tanks up on the hill…parking by that all steel kinda docking system kept us out of the wind long enough to have a pee, pour another one, and carry on…love that country!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-28-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
We often parked our boat once inside the back side of Bar C if we just came across heavy waves while trying to cross over the main McKenzie that veered off to the right and on to Tuk. Somedays it was a horrible experience..but nothing a few whiskeys couldn’t cure…
You were so close to our cabin right there..plus a few others now!
In the winter we would drive our trucks and trailers of skidoo’s, and park at Bar C, then drive our sleds and supplies into our lake where the cabin still sits today. My last trip up was when I put a pontoon boat in at Hay River and then went 1200 miles all the way to our cabin…7 days to get to Inuvik..that was in 2014, I couldn’t believe how much the landscaped had changed without the familiar Bar C tanks up on the hill…parking by that all steel kinda docking system kept us out of the wind long enough to have a pee, pour another one, and carry on…love that country!
Zip
Man, what a journey that would have been on the Mckenzie in the Pontoon! It is beauty country, I really enjoyed my time there. Even the sheet piles that made up that barge dock are all gone now....was actually a bit of a pain in the azz to get those out, but that was the last item. Kept the floating camp tied to it and pulled the last ones when Grubens untied the camp and we all headed home. Really liked my time there and working with the guys in Tuk. One guy, initials K.W. im sure you know who runs Northwind was awesome, had alot of good times over the few months with him and some of the crew he supplied!
Old 08-28-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Man, what a journey that would have been on the Mckenzie in the Pontoon! It is beauty country, I really enjoyed my time there. Even the sheet piles that made up that barge dock are all gone now....was actually a bit of a pain in the azz to get those out, but that was the last item. Kept the floating camp tied to it and pulled the last ones when Grubens untied the camp and we all headed home. Really liked my time there and working with the guys in Tuk. One guy, initials K.W. im sure you know who runs Northwind was awesome, had alot of good times over the few months with him and some of the crew he supplied!
Yes I do know Kurt very well…he was just a kid when I lived up there..always drove the biggest and baddest trucks in his younger days…he’s actually in my book under the story…”Scruff Leads With His Face” page 8 in the book. Also alittle fun fact…I ended up leaving my pontoon boat in Inuvik for two years parked right in his yard. After lots of back and forth talking over two years…K.W. Bought my pontoon boat….he’s done very well for himself considering all the crap he pulled off in Inuvik during his younger years…same as me I guess! Lol!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-28-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Zip
First time seeing this post and just added the book in my cart on Amazon.
I've actually been on yaya lake at one time. Been at Bar C as well. Spent a winter in Shell's camp farewell (part of the winter in Gruebens barge camp the Arctic Star as well) and if I remember right the turnoff to farewell was at Bar C on the ice road.
Also spent a winter in the Dome camp in Tuk.
Buddy of mine is the shop foreman for Gruebens in Tuk. Been up there for a few years now
Old 08-28-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
First time seeing this post and just added the book in my cart on Amazon.
I've actually been on yaya lake at one time. Been at Bar C as well. Spent a winter in Shell's camp farewell (part of the winter in Gruebens barge camp the Arctic Star as well) and if I remember right the turnoff to farewell was at Bar C on the ice road.
Also spent a winter in the Dome camp in Tuk.
Buddy of mine is the shop foreman for Gruebens in Tuk. Been up there for a few years now
If you were on Ya Ya lake…you must have been very very close to my uncles cabin..Dick White was his name..he owned Arctic Plumbing at the time! Another camp in first lake at Ya Ya was Lennies camp…once there it was not far till you hit Noel Gordon’s camp on the left, same as Lennies camp, then a bit farther you would see Vince Sharpes camp on the right side of lake..then around the point was our cabin Dick Whites plus one other that had various different people over my time up there…good fishing on YaYa..really big kohnee in there!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-28-2024, 01:41 PM

Hi Zip,

I've always wanted to get up that far North.

Furthest North I've been is Fort Chipewyan. I'll cross that NWT border someday!

Book is ordered from Amazon and looking forward to the read.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Hi Zip,

I've always wanted to get up that far North.

Furthest North I've been is Fort Chipewyan. I'll cross that NWT border someday!

Book is ordered from Amazon and looking forward to the read.
Much appreciated…Hope you enjoy reading my stories
Thanks a bunch
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-28-2024, 03:44 PM

I'm going to order it as well, I too enjoy these neat stories from the way out there. Most especially because one of our own on here has put the time and effort into putting it together. Looking forward to it, Zip!
Old 08-28-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
I'm going to order it as well, I too enjoy these neat stories from the way out there. Most especially because one of our own on here has put the time and effort into putting it together. Looking forward to it, Zip!
Very cool…for me, Thank you so much for taking the interest in my stories…
Thanks a bunch
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip