Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default Regulation Change Lesson

Well this was an interesting day. I put foreward 4 reg change suggestions that I would like to see implemented here in AB. What I got for doing this was pretty well non-stop abuse and ridicule for the crazy ideas that I came up with. I expected this from the ussual suspects, but was a little surprized at how many people figure if it aint broke don't fix it.
What a lot of the posters seem to have missed is that these regs are already in place and working well in BC. I know first hand how much easier and less complicated some of these regs make it for hunters in the field. There are also a lot of regs and policies in BC that I don't like, and that I think are done much better here in AB. It was kind of fun watching guys come off all self righteous and holier than thou over what they thought was some harebrained schemes i personally thought up. It's a pity they didn't stop and think that just maybe some of these regs are in place for a reason.
The four suggestions I put foreward; #1 Province wide quota on number of deer a hunter can harvest in one year, #2 The ability for a first timer to experiance hunting (called an Initiation Hunting Licence in BC), #3 allowing the use of a dog to track a wounded animal and #4 the changing of how an Antlered and Antlerless animal is defined (which is backwards in my opinion and seems like a great oppurtunity for entrapment) all have merit, are all in use just a few miles to the west of us, and will probably ALL be implemented sometimes in the future. If i'm still around when any are changed i'll be happy to remind some of you what asse's you made of yourselfs.
Lastly, it was educational watching some of you attack myself and/or other hunters/members in your quest to try to prove how much smarter you are. Did not disturb me in the least though I will admit that I fanned the flames a bit. In the end I will continue to hunt with the same regs as everyone else. We don't need the Anti's to divide us or make us look stupid, as it seems pretty obvious we can do that ourselfs.

P.S. I did have 2 more reg./policy changes that I was going to put foreward but I'm worried some of you might have a stroke or heart attack while showing us all how smart you are.

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-04-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Lol.
Cool story bro.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Banned

I thought a few of them were no bad
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Sorry but 1 and 4 are ridiculous, and attempt to solve issues that really don't exist.

Tags are allocated based on harvest goals which aren't being met now and you shouldn't be pulling the trigger is you can't positively identify what your shooting at.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Banned

I will just have to agree to disagree with you, esp. #4. It is worded backwards. It would be interesting to see how other provinces and states word it.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:22 PM

Give it a rest already.....if you are serious why don't you bring them forward to your AFGA club....as a passionate and concerned AB outdoorsman, I'm sure you're part of a club
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM

Each proposal has some merit and none would offer detrimental effects over the current system.
The Alberta regs are loaded with ridiculous laws now, so looking at what has worked for other provinces is the route we should take when evaluating areas in need of improvement.
The stumbling block will always be getting people to accept change.
Please share your other suggestions.
I don't think anyone will miss the the "usual suspects" if they die of a stroke.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM

Your arguments are generally perfectly reasonable (except for #4 -- not sure I see your perspective on that one, but I didn't read it as carefully as the first 3, either).
That being said, Drake has a point. Nobody here has any particular influence on government policy, AFAIK. Take it to the appropriate channels.

[edit]Any chance you've recently been charged with wildlife offenses? Just seems like you've got an axe to grind.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Your arguments are generally perfectly reasonable (except for #4 -- not sure I see your perspective on that one, but I didn't read it as carefully as the first 3, either).
That being said, Drake has a point. Nobody here has any particular influence on government policy, AFAIK. Take it to the appropriate channels.

[edit]Any chance you've recently been charged with wildlife offenses? Just seems like you've got an axe to grind.
I really don't have an axe to grind, except perhaps with some fellow AO members. My only objective was to put foreward a few ideas that would make life easier in the field for hunters.
I have a feeling that now is an ideal time to talk about change, because I think we might see some changes with a new govt. in place. Problem is I really believe that a lot of the changes that might occur will make fishing and esp. hunting more difficult and expensive in the near future. I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.
As for #4, I guess you really have to view it from a hunters perspective who is used to it being worded the exact opposite way. Like I said earlier, I really wonder how it is in other provinces and in the States. Margin for error is much less when you only have to be sure of one antler instead of both. It only makes sense, but hey, if it ain't broke then why fix it right?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:49 PM

The way you interpret the BC regs on your suggested change #4 is completely wrong.

Antlerless is no visible antlers...that doesn't mean if you didn't see the antler before you shot and then did after you get there you can tag it as antlerless.

It means a doe or a button buck is antlerless....not a one antlered animal that you never noticed had one antler before you shot.

Definitions from the BC regs,

antlered animal - means a member of the deer family over one year of age bearing visible bony antlers.

antlerless animal - means a member of the deer family bearing no visible antlers. The small skin or hair covered protuberances of male fawns and calves do not constitute antlers.

So in actuality the Alberta regs are more cut and dried and less ambiguous than the BC reg because there is an empirical and measurable difference between an antlerless animal and an antlered one. And there is no question what tag to use on what animal.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-04-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post

No wonder you didn't understand #4. That is because it does not make sense. I screwed up there and am withdrawing it from consideration.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
No wonder you didn't understand #4. That is because it does not make sense. I screwed up there and am withdrawing it from consideration.
Thank goodness...so you admit you were wrong then?

LC
Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 PM

While I don't agree with the need to change some of these regulations, I do believe the process of reviewing the regulations is an important one.

It would be nice if some government officials sat down with stakeholders and law enforcement to look over them. Sometimes its good to ask why is this here, or can it be changed to make more sense.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Thank goodness...so you admit you were wrong then?

LC
I think I have already admitted I was wrong, and suggestion was seriously flawed.
What are you trolling for now Lefty? Ever thought of changing your username to Schadenfreude?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
While I don't agree with the need to change some of these regulations, I do believe the process of reviewing the regulations is an important one.

It would be nice if some government officials sat down with stakeholders and law enforcement to look over them. Sometimes its good to ask why is this here, or can it be changed to make more sense.
AFGA reviews proposals at the annual meeting that are forwarded to AEP/ESRD, and some of the proposals are considered, and the odd one is even implemented. Other than that, there is almost no input from the resident hunters.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I think I have already admitted I was wrong, and suggestion was seriously flawed.
What are you trolling for now Lefty? Ever thought of changing your username to Schadenfreude?
Not trolling buddy, but after you call out a bunch of guys who were trying to correct you from the get go....there is usually room to be humble and apologize but that's just me.

I am not happy you were wrong but I am happy you finally ended the nonsense and admitted it.

Just don't change your name to Regninja, I personally like Sea Samurai though.

LC
Old 01-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
AFGA reviews proposals at the annual meeting that are forwarded to AEP/ESRD, and some of the proposals are considered, and the odd one is even implemented. Other than that, there is almost no input from the resident hunters.
That is a problem. Only one group forwarding proposals. There are 24,000 AFGA members. There are close to 300,000 hunters in Alberta + the fisherpeople that don't buy a hunting license. 10% of the users sending all the proposals. Not a good representation. This system may have worked years ago, but it has become stagnant, I believe.
In this day and age of technology individual voices can be heard. It may,or may not get results.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not trolling buddy, but after you call out a bunch of guys who were trying to correct you from the get go....there is usually room to be humble and apologize but that's just me.

I am not happy you were wrong but I am happy you finally ended the nonsense and admitted it.

LC
Twisting things again I see. Only "bunch of guys" I called out was you and Elkhunter11, and thats only because I never did like bullies, liars or people who think they know it all. Even after I post that #4 was a bad suggestion and is flawed you still feel the need to continue gloating as if you won a prize. Yes my suggestion was flawed but big deal. Not the first time Iv'e been wrong, nor probably the last. You on the other hand continue to show what an ass you are, and everyone here is seeing that.
Only thing worse then a poor loser is a poor winner.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Twisting things again I see. Only "bunch of guys" I called out was you and Elkhunter11, and thats only because I never did like bullies, liars or people who think they know it all. Even after I post that #4 was a bad suggestion and is flawed you still feel the need to continue gloating as if you won a prize. Yes my suggestion was flawed but big deal. Not the first time Iv'e been wrong, nor probably the last. You on the other hand continue to show what an ass you are, and everyone here is seeing that.
I expected this type of response, I have probably helped you with your "regulation questions" more than anyone. Consider that the last time I help you with anything.

Look back to your closed thread....at least 4-5 other guys were trying to tell you the same thing but alas Ninja, I am wasting my breath.

Good luck with all your questions in the future buddy!

Yah everyone sees what's going on that's for sure! I doubt many think the same as you.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-05-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

LC
Get a room you guys, sooner or later you'll both be enjoying some good "make-up sex"
Old 01-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Get a room you guys, sooner or later you'll both be enjoying some good "make-up sex"
Ha! Not likely.

LC
Old 01-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ha! Not likely.

LC
It was quite a while for your response, I thot maybe you and and moistningah were checking out trivago , , lol
Old 01-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
it was quite a while for your response, i thot maybe you and and moistningah were checking out trivago , , lol
lmao....

Lc
Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
lmao....

Lc
Something "mao"....
Closed Thread