Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2022, 06:07 PM

Default DIY soft bait molds - Do you?

I’m thinking about doing my own molds for soft bait. Anyone here do that sort of thing? If so, where do you get your molds (and other equipment) from? Any hints, tips, tricks to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2022, 12:12 PM

i want to learn too. make flukes design for trout. zman different lengths 2 tone colors nonscented. different season fish want something else
Old 12-21-2022, 12:23 PM

Watched some videos on it a while back. You’d have to do the math, see if it works out for you. Not cheap to setup, but pays off in the long run if you are a guide or tournament competitor. Absolutely not worth it for a recreational angler.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:54 PM

Yes I have made molds for both soft plastic and hard baits. I basically make both hard and soft plastic lures

Ok are you presently making soft plastics or is this a whole new hobby you’re trying to get into. Do you have any lure making equipment?

Are you wanting to make open pour molds or are you wanting to make injection molds?

As for buying supplies there is lots of options but expect to order some stuff from the US. There is two Canadian suppliers. There is lots of lure molds that can be bought and unless you are trying to build completely original lures you might want to just buy molds. It is also possible to get custom molds made but is costs more
Old 12-22-2022, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I should have been more clear. I am looking at making my own soft baits for jigging/trolling. single/double tails, tubes, shads, etc... I did not mean to sound like I want to make my own molds. I am looking to purchase molds and injection equipment. I am looking into this strictly from a hobby perspective. I mostly fish southern AB. I'm not really looking at doing big stuff. ie: Cold Lake stuff. At least not yet. I've found a few different sources. I'm wondering what others have done.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:07 AM

Ok I have been making lures for a long time and I would be writing a novel if I start getting into everything I have done/know on this subject. Direct questions would be much easier to answer

Supplies you are limited if you stick to only Canadian suppliers. For plastisol you have luremaking.com, CMA outdoors, and plastic world. For molds luremaking.com and another out of BC(enforcer molds I think but not 100%}. Luremaking.com is your only option for injector’s in Canada

Your options for supplies out of the US provide are much better. For injectors I would order from the US and get one with a locking pin for safety reasons. Available mold options and quality is much better in the US. Don’t expect fast service or delivery. Epic bait molds was good service wise though

Another option for cheaper molds is ordering from the Ukraine but I have not done so. From what I hear they are still putting out orders during the war

CNC aluminum molds are the best quality and cast molds would be next but the finish is not as nice. Your cheap option is fake stone and it comes with issues of sticking from what I hear

Make sure you have a location with good ventilation, a electric griddle makes it easy to warm things, microwave to heat plastisol, and Pyrex cups

I will stop typing there till you have more direct questions
Old 12-22-2022, 04:21 PM

This is exactly the information/opinion that I was looking for. Thank you very much. This will help me get started in the right, general direction.
I do not intend to get too serious with it....but you never know.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:45 PM

My recommendation is think hobby and focus on learning.

Everything is a little bit of a learning curve even with injection molds. Getting your temperature right definitely makes a difference. Cold molds and injector can screw you up. Getting your plastisol to a good shooting temperature is also important

Soft plastics for me is personal use and parts for the hard baits I make. I know a thing or two but there is guys who are really good with this style of lure making

Oh forgot to add another US mold maker was fat guys fishing. Another mold maker I have recently worked with on a custom project was CNC moldsNstuff but have not purchased any of his lure molds he has designed
Old 12-22-2022, 05:03 PM

Sweet! Thanks!
Old 12-22-2022, 05:21 PM

Also expect to get hit with duty at the border on every U.S. shipment even though the molds are made in the US

I hate customs