Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2022, 07:43 PM

Question Volunteer fingerprinting for men only?

So the wife and I volunteered to help out with the kids during church services to give them young parents a bit of a break. Filled out the vulnerable persons application form at the police station. Wife’s application was accepted and approved within a few days. I got a letter saying that I need to be finger printed first and I have to appear within 90 days.

What the hey?

I don’t have any record at all. Couple of photo radar tickets way back. Used to be on the RCMP Auxiliary. Anyone know if this is gender bias, standard procedure or a random request?

I’ve got nothing to hide but I’m definitely not comfortable with this request coming from the local police based on their recent history, (if any of you follow the Lethbridge news).

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2022, 07:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A criminal record check will determine if you have been charged or convicted of a crime. If a name-based criminal record check does not provide a definite way of confirming your identity, you may be asked to provide fingerprints. The use of fingerprints is the most accurate way to confirm a person's identity. They ensure that individuals cannot evade their criminal past, and protect individuals from being falsely associated with a criminal record that is not theirs.
This is not for men only etc have had many past employees go down this route etc.
We just told them thier past caught up on them

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-19-2022, 07:49 PM

Default Fingerprinting

For a man this is the normal response. My understanding is if any man in Canada has a record and the same birthday as you, you will be asked to be fingerprinted. It has happened to me every time I've completed the vulnerable persons application form. There are a lot fewer women in the system so a lot less chance of someone having the same birthday as your wife.

Phil
Old 12-19-2022, 08:22 PM

Seems weird they aren't asking for a DNA sample as well, whyyy not? Especially if you aren't listed on a database they already have access to.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:23 PM
Banned

relax already. if you don't have a record, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:26 PM

I did the volunteer screening thing last year to be a 4-H leader, no fingerprints for me, but I’ve only done it once so not that familiar with how things are done. Maybe you have the same name as someone who has a record?
Old 12-19-2022, 08:39 PM

Default A bet.

Been finger printed for Vulnerable Sector check. Wife at the time had to do the same thing. The fingerprints were needed because we both had similar names DOBs to shady folks somewhere in Canada.

No big deal. We knew we were both clean and tidy.

The 90 days thing is if you want to proceed with the process to verify yourself.
If you don’t want to continue the verification ( get fingerprinted ) don’t go. But you won’t be allowed to volunteer either.

Nothing to do with gender.

Somewhere on the application it said that our prints were NOT going to be held as a record but only for the purpose of verifying our identity for the purpose of the record check. If you can’t wrap your head around that do not proceed with the record check.

Hope you follow through and volunteer
Old 12-19-2022, 10:40 PM

I have been getting an updated check every few years when they expire since my wife started teaching 12years ago. Never have I been asked for finger prints. Either your birthday or name match’s someone that has a record
Old 12-19-2022, 11:34 PM

For years I'd get called for prints when I applied for a Vulnerable Sectors check, seems I have the same birthdate as some bad guy and city cops need to ensure I'm not the bad guy under a new name. Guessing it was a serious charge as the constable mentioned it had to be a violent crime, a traffic tag won't trigger it.

Last go round (this past fall) I got the clearance without the prints...seems the bad guy must have died, that's the only way the conflict is resolved. I had been printed every other year for like 20 yrs

Minor irritation in the big picture.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:01 AM

Default Thanks for the info! Definitely not a common name issue

Must be a birthday match because it’s definitely not a common name issue. I’m the only son of an only son of an only son with a name that was bastardized when my grandfather immigrated into Canada. I can literally count all the people in the world with this same last name on 2 hands and 1 foot.

I think I’ll head over to the local cop shop and try to have a sit down with whoever requested this and find out the reason.

Stay warm all
Old 12-20-2022, 06:42 AM

I don’t think it has anything to do with your gender. Someone with the same name as you has a record so they need to confirm who you are.

I have a friend that has this issue with every pal renewal, drivers license renewal and record check. There is a guy with the same name and date of birth as him who has a driving prohibition and a criminal record.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:06 AM
Shooting Xs

Yup, back in the 80's I order some Harley parts from a shop in Havre, pull up out front and was literally surrounded instantly with Border/Immigration vehicles, off to the "office" we go.

They run my ID some more, tell me I have a firearm conviction in Quebec, that they're willing to let me grab my parts and then leave forthwith, do not stop, do not pass go. They didn't care that I was not born in Quebec, as the guy in question was.

Get back to the Hat, go to the RCMP station, relate my experience and could they please run my ID, well turns out there's 5 of us in Canada with same first, middle and last name, but the one in Quebec( yup, him) not only has same name but same day, month of birth, 2 years apart, exact same build and physical description to a tee.

Next trip down I stopped at the Border and got it straightened out.
So yeah, doppleganger's are out there.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:38 AM

I have had my venerable sector done for the last 15 years through Aheia and or Scouts. Never was fingerprinted. Till my 40 birthday. Then it's fingerprints every time. Had a male teacher tell me everyone of his associates started getting fingerprinted after 40....no idea if this is true.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:52 AM

Years ago I was supposed to go in to be fingerprinted for a job application for a Company that I had worked at for 38 years and this was to be a very part time job only, I said no problem, the day of my appointment the RCMP called to say do not wear a hoodie because they would also be taking a mug shot. I never did go, what the heck.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrams View Post
Years ago I was supposed to go in to be fingerprinted for a job application for a Company that I had worked at for 38 years and this was to be a very part time job only, I said no problem, the day of my appointment the RCMP called to say do not wear a hoodie because they would also be taking a mug shot. I never did go, what the heck.
I would have done the same.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:37 AM

Couple years back signed PAL applications for my neighbour and his wife. She got her PAL within a few weeks. A few months later someone called and I could not believe the number of questions they asked about husband. He eventually got his PAL. PS Guess this is also why insurance is higher if you have a pecker!
Old 12-20-2022, 02:36 PM

All for one, one for all, unless your male, white the list does go on.
If you need to be fingerprinted, so should every other person who "volunteers" for the same charity. That would be at least be preserved as fair.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:00 PM

I agree that you share the same name as someone with a record. I have a neighbor that does. He never got his record check completed because of it. I don't know what he had to do to complete it but my guess would be he didn't want to get finger printed.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:15 PM

Agreed! 100 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
All for one, one for all, unless you're male, white the list does go on.
If you need to be fingerprinted, so should every other person who "volunteers" for the same charity. That would be at least be preserved as fair.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:40 AM

Definitely a shared birthday date with some bad dude.
Been through this multiple times now when volunteering with kids
Old 12-21-2022, 05:38 PM

no idea why any man would volunteer to look after anyone else's kids, all it takes would be some liberal minded mom to ask a few questions to a kid and you'll find yourself on a list you don't want to be on, best to move on now than later!
Old 12-21-2022, 08:05 PM

Thats really weird . Are you a regular member at this church ?
I would be going to a different church if they asked me to do this after being a member for a long time and going every weekend !

Am I missing something ?

Last edited by -JR-; 12-21-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
A criminal record check will determine if you have been charged or convicted of a crime. If a name-based criminal record check does not provide a definite way of confirming your identity, you may be asked to provide fingerprints. The use of fingerprints is the most accurate way to confirm a person's identity. They ensure that individuals cannot evade their criminal past, and protect individuals from being falsely associated with a criminal record that is not theirs.
This is not for men only etc have had many past employees go down this route etc.
We just told them thier past caught up on them
Pictures of someone tattoos would be the way better identification than any fingerprints
Old 12-22-2022, 07:38 AM

Do a volunteer stint yearly in the venerable sector. Last summer in June I needed to do a police check, no problem went to the station near me and did the paperwork a month before I needed to do it. Completed my teaching program with some wonderful people with kudos for giving my time. Two months later I get a letter to be fingerprinted with a time restraint of 30 days. I was incredibly busy at the time and it slipped under my radar. I'm sure I'll hear about it next year when I attempt to give of my time again.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations