Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Default I wonder how many people dress up their dogs?

I'm a firm believer that dogs and cats should be left as nature intended,sometimes I see poodles and Shihzus dressed up in some kind of garb,which is what I think it is garb age . However I did like the monkey in a fur coat ,shown on you tube just a while ago.so what do you guys think?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Guilty. LOL Brittany's don't have very thick coats and I usually take mine out for at least an hour's walk regardless of weather (it's NEVER too cold or storming or raining to go for a walk). When it gets really cold (like -25 or lower) I've been known to throw on a dog coat type of thing. He hates it.

Oh, and he gets a chest protector when upland hunting in cut canola or other rough areas.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 PM

Local dep't store went out of business. My daughters bought my GSP a fancy sweater for a dollar or two. I came home and he was wearing this pretty sweater around the house.

My girls were almost falling on the floor laughing before they even saw my reaction. Kids!!! Nothing but trouble.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM

I have a Chinese crested... yes I know wimp dog. Mine is not hairless but there are mutations of Chinese crested dogs that are hairless and need a coat during our cold weather months or they will get frost bite.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM

My wife tries but I always put an end to it before it starts. Dogs aren't dolls so don't dress them up. My lab however has really sensitive feet and if it gets below -5C she has to wear booties for her walks, it's not ideal but otherwise she gets no exercise in the winter.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
My wife tries but I always put an end to it before it starts. Dogs aren't dolls so don't dress them up. My lab however has really sensitive feet and if it gets below -5C she has to wear booties for her walks, it's not ideal but otherwise she gets no exercise in the winter.
Dogs aren't dolls so don't dress them up! But booties are ok.. hahaha

If I ever dress up a dog (booties or otherwise), please shoot me.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Dogs aren't dolls so don't dress them up! But booties are ok.. hahaha

If I ever dress up a dog (booties or otherwise), please shoot me.
You are lucky enough to own a breed that can handle 30 or 40 below for long periods of time, right? Lucky.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea if it is for the protection and safety and comfort of the dog.

It's the folks who dye their dogs that need a psychiatric evaluation.

Last edited by I-Love-Eyes; 06-10-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM

my wife got a lined dog jean jacket for duke i came home she had it on him poor duke had his tail tucked between his legs whith shame .. I took it off him and he attacked it like it was rabbit in heat lying his bed

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-10-2013, 03:12 PM

It's something that I wouldn't do simply because I have animals that will weather our climates. With that being said I do understand why some dogs do need protection from the elements as they don't have coats to protect them. Some types of working dogs need foot and body protection as well.
What drives me nuts is the people who have animals that naturally would have thick coats and keep them indoors all the time to keep them from getting winter hair.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
I don't think it's a bad idea if it is for the protection and safety and comfort of the dog.

It's the folks who dye their dogs that need a psychiatric evaluation.

Funny Pics lol
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
my wife got a lined dog jean jacket for duke i came home she had it on him poor duke had his tail tucked between his legs whith shame .. I took it off him and he attacked it like it was rabbit in heat lying his bed
Thats a funny story thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM

The only thing I put on my dog is a Thundershirt, but that's to help with his anxiety problems. So far it's working pretty good.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Someone should custom print up a dog t-shirt that has 3 wolves on it, or maybe a 3 Dog Night concert tee?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 PM

The closest thing to clothes Duke puts on is a Remington camo duck vest for hunting late October if there is ice in a pothole or water with stumps so his vitals are protected
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Damm wide has a closet for damm dogs, lol Don't go there.....................
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM

Dogs should not be dressed up. They are not people. People who dress up dogs lack self esteem and are needy for attention. Dog is probably already embarrassed that you are it's owner, please don't damage it's dignity by dressing the poor thing up like some sideshow act.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM

I dress mine in a dog pack so she can pack my grub and water.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach123 View Post
Damm wide has a closet for damm dogs, lol Don't go there.....................
This makes perfect sense. Good hunting.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
The closest thing to clothes Duke puts on is a Remington camo duck vest for hunting late October if there is ice in a pothole or water with stumps so his vitals are protected
Sorry but this makes perfect sense .Good hunting .
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Mine wears a collar, that's it. The ex's pom had a full wardrobe, poor little guy. He always gave me this look like "why are you letting her do this" lol
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Hell of an idea,and I bet he enjoys the job! Good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Mine wears a collar, that's it. The ex's pom had a full wardrobe, poor little guy. He always gave me this look like "why are you letting her do this" lol
In lots of cases dogs are a lot smarter than we think,with all the dogs our family owned I don't think clothing them would have been possible, they would have chewed rolled or whatever to remove it .lol. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
My lab wears one of those to. When we go walk, she packs her own food, water and toys. It seems to make her calmer while we walk as well, like she knows she has a job to do.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 PM

My Shiba's won't even wear booties in the winter. They are very much built for the winters here. I do put some protecter stuff on their paws to protect them from the salt and I think its supposed to help with the cold on their pads.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM

Mine wears a vest that keeps in heat when hunting and provides some extra floatation. The "dye" job is an occupational hazard.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I'm a firm believer that dogs and cats should be left as nature intended,sometimes I see poodles and Shihzus dressed up in some kind of garb,which is what I think it is garb age . However I did like the monkey in a fur coat ,shown on you tube just a while ago.so what do you guys think?
A dog or cat that is dressed up is animal abuse.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

My kids have dressed up both our dog and cat over the years. Surprisingly both animals put up with it. One Christmas both animals were dressed in Santa suits. Made for a pretty funny picture.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
This makes perfect sense. Good hunting.
Lol see it got me all going, wife has damm closet of clothes. Lol
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pri View Post
A dog or cat that is dressed up is animal abuse.
How exactly? Does it ruin their self esteem to the point that - if they could - they would post sad commentary on their lives on dogtube? A collar and a leash is abuse, whereas a taffetta tutu is just a taffetta tutu, no more, no less, just a tutu.

The question lies more in the owners and an even greater question that only Rocky, uhm I mean Rusty could answer, is; if a republican or a tory dresses their Miniature Hollandaise Doberman up like Darth Vader, should they be allowed to CCW?