Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Smile Anyone use bamboo fly rods

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but I've been hunting and fly fishing for the past 3 decades.
I got into bamboo fly rods about 9 or so years. Now I fish bamboo rods exclusively in creeks on up to moderately sized rivers (i.e. Upper Oldman, Crowsnest, Castle) - in fact, the Bow River is the only place I still use graphite.
In addition, I've finished-out nearly a dozen rods from blanks and have restored many, many more vintage cane rods for myself and others.

I would like to know if there are any other bamboo fly rods addicts on this forum - both rod users and builders/restorers.
Please introduce yourself.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 AM

I have a Hardy .don,t use much, more of a antique
Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 AM

I fish a Norm Thompson Armourcane that was designed by Lee Wulff. (But was actually built in Scotland by Sharpes of Aberdeen for Farlows).
Bought it in university on spring when I got my income tax cheque back.
Don Andersen reconditioned it for me last spring. I've been fishing it pretty steady for the last 40 or so years and it's still going strong.
The only complaint I've got is that today's reels have been made so light (to match graphite rod weights) that I can't get a good balance anymore with my Orvis Battenkills.
Joan Wulff features a rod on her website that remarkably like my old Armourcane. It's built by the outfit that bought the cane business from Sharpes a few years back.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Speckle: Plenty of vintage bamboo sitting in peoples closets, basements and garages.
It's too bad as these rods can still be very fine fishing instruments.

Neil: yes today's reels are too light, but there are vintage reels to be had and many reel companies are now catering to bamboo users by manufacturing 'classic' style reels of appropriate weight. Some decent ones coming out of China too - not surprising!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Default Bamboo rods

Ronbill,

Started FFing with a bamboo rod about 1958/59. Broke it finally and replaced it with a glass rod, then another glass rod, then another glass rod, then a graphite rod in 1975 or so followed by more graphite rods till I finally figured it out.
I had it right the first time. Fish bamboo rods for everything and been doing that for 20+ years. Used a Garrison 8'9" for the Bow when fishing sinking lines and a 7' 3 wt. for dries.
Got some decent steelhead on a 9'er as well. Most of the trout fishing is done by either 7'9" 5 wts or a8'0" 6 wt. Tiny cuts are chased with a 6'0" 2wt.

regards,

Don
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Ronbill,

Started FFing with a bamboo rod about 1958/59. Broke it finally and replaced it with a glass rod, then another glass rod, then another glass rod, then a graphite rod in 1975 or so followed by more graphite rods till I finally figured it out.
I had it right the first time. Fish bamboo rods for everything and been doing that for 20+ years. Used a Garrison 8'9" for the Bow when fishing sinking lines and a 7' 3 wt. for dries.
Got some decent steelhead on a 9'er as well. Most of the trout fishing is done by either 7'9" 5 wts or a8'0" 6 wt. Tiny cuts are chased with a 6'0" 2wt.

regards,

Don
Yes Don, I'm well aware of your highly-touted 7'9" 5wt taper. Maybe one day soon?
As for heavier rods, I did purchase and revarnish a 9' Goodwin Granger Special 9050 (ca 1938 ish) this spring. I was able to bomb out an entire WF 5wt line with it on a reservoir with some double-hauling. That was cool and I think it'll handle the Bow River nicely.
Ahh, too many trout and not enough time.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM

I haven't fished a bamboo rod yet but I really want to get a small creek bamboo rod some day in the near future. The problem for me with bamboo is the cost to buy one. I know the kind of work that goes into making them but I just don't have the money to shell out for a rod.

I am hoping that changes and I can get one in the next year or so and start using it for smaller waters around southern Alberta.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM

There are a number of current rod builders in North America I could recommend, but you're right, brand new will cost you. A lightly used rod from a current maker will go $450-$800+, but at least you'll get some warranty with them.
Otherwise, there are some vintage blue-collar rods that you could get for $200-$400 that would suit you nicely. Problem with this is you need to know exactly what you are buying and that could require some homework and a steep learning curve.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbill View Post
Speckle: Plenty of vintage bamboo sitting in peoples closets, basements and garages.
It's too bad as these rods can still be very fine fishing instruments.
Give my eye teeth to get my hands on one...along with a quality vintage reel....one main reason I hit garage sales like a demon.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Doesn't have to be vintage to enjoy it. Plenty of good deals if you know what to look for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19 inch Cutt.jpg (132.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Brooks Payne 97.jpg (122.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 PM

i got one its about ~12feet long and has no indacation of the line wt or the action.
Its realy old and has a weathered cork handle on it...
No indacation of the brand either.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Doesn't have to be vintage to enjoy it. Plenty of good deals if you know what to look for.
I would have no idea what to look for so it will be tough for me to find a deal on one.

like I mentioned earlier I just want one that is set up for small creeks and streams. something no bigger then 7 feet long and preferably a 3wt.

If you do ever come across something like this for a really good deal I would be interested to here about it and have a chance to buy it.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM

I own and use three different bamboo rods, two are 5weights and one is a big 8 weight.
Cat
Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Though I've yet to try a bamboo rod it's only a matter of time and money. After doing a bit of research and taking a few library books out on bamboo I'm definitely intrigued.
When I can afford one the money will go to purchasing one from Don Andersen to support an Alberta craftsman.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
True, but I have an affinity for vintage stuff....has a certain feel to it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I would have no idea what to look for so it will be tough for me to find a deal on one.

like I mentioned earlier I just want one that is set up for small creeks and streams. something no bigger then 7 feet long and preferably a 3wt.

If you do ever come across something like this for a really good deal I would be interested to here about it and have a chance to buy it.
npauls: I could recommend a 6'8" 3wt fairy (I have a rod based on this taper as it is regarded as one of the finest 3wt designs) or the 7' 3wt fairy created by Fred E. Thomas - one of the forefathers of American bamboo rodbuilding. There are a number of excellent makers in the US and Canada that create stunning rods based on these two classic taper designs.
PM me if you want more info.

Pipco: Don Anderson is highly regarded in the craft of rodbuilding in North America - especially for deriving several incredible tapers. One day I would love to acquire one of his 7'9" 5wts that he is well known for.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Default cane rods

Quote:
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but I've been hunting and fly fishing for the past 3 decades.
I got into bamboo fly rods about 9 or so years. Now I fish bamboo rods exclusively in creeks on up to moderately sized rivers (i.e. Upper Oldman, Crowsnest, Castle) - in fact, the Bow River is the only place I still use graphite.
In addition, I've finished-out nearly a dozen rods from blanks and have restored many, many more vintage cane rods for myself and others.

I would like to know if there are any other bamboo fly rods addicts on this forum - both rod users and builders/restorers.
Please introduce yourself.

Cheers,

Ron
Bamboo ................... or split cane as we called them across the pond. Very nice rods indeed !!. Name's Nigel and I grew up in Ireland river fishing trout & Atlantic salmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
I fish a Norm Thompson Armourcane that was designed by Lee Wulff. (But was actually built in Scotland by Sharpes of Aberdeen for Farlows).
Bought it in university on spring when I got my income tax cheque back.
Don Andersen reconditioned it for me last spring. I've been fishing it pretty steady for the last 40 or so years and it's still going strong.
The only complaint I've got is that today's reels have been made so light (to match graphite rod weights) that I can't get a good balance anymore with my Orvis Battenkills.
Joan Wulff features a rod on her website that remarkably like my old Armourcane. It's built by the outfit that bought the cane business from Sharpes a few years back.
I also have a Sharpes Farlow trout rod. A lot of the rods I used growing up were split cane ............ first time I have heard of anyone here using one. Very different action than carbon or graphite, but very sweet to use when you get used to them.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 PM

thanks for introducing yourself Nigel. Split cane rods are sweet indeed. Yes different than graphite and many fly fishers these days prefer cane over graphite especially in rods up to 5wt.
As for Sharpes Farlow, those cane rods do come up regularly on fleebay and periodically on the classic bamboo fly rod forum.

Cheers,
Ron
Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 PM

I have two rods that were my son's great grandfathers on his mother side.

One is marked H. Moore Liverpool, England. It has a beautifully crafted reel and it is in excellent condition. It looks to be 10 ft approx 7 wt. Two piece rod with an extra tip section identical to the first. Reel is brass and some other material.

I have not been able to find much info on this rod and would appreciate any insight.

The other rod is also is approx 10 ft and 7wt. The bamboo is in excellent shape but the wrappings have deteriorated and are falling apart. It also has the extra tip.

This rod is marked Milwards, England and has a matching reel with Gyrex or Cyrex written on it. I have found some info on this one. Apparently mass produced and of fairly good quality.

Should it be restored or left as is?

Are these valuable or could we still fish them?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:50 PM

I'm not familiar with H.Moore of Liverpool but of course have heard of Milwards of England. Quite frankly, I'm far more experienced with North American builders than European, but there are several experts across Canada that should be able to provide some information on the European rods.

Leaving as is or restoring is a question of great debate. I can tell you that if you plan to fish them, you likely should refinish/restore them, else you risk damaging the rods (losing guides, wraps etc). This is a good reason to have the rod carefully inspected prior to use. Then make a decision based on expert opinion.

I regularly fish rods easily dating back to the 1920's or 30's without any real problems.

If the cane appears sound and the wraps still secure all you may need is a new coat or two of varnish and you should be good to go for fishing. Else hang it on the wall if you wish for all to admire.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Leaving as is or restoring is a question of great debate. I can tell you that if you plan to fish them, you likely should refinish/restore them, else you risk damaging the rods (losing guides, wraps etc). This is a good reason to have the rod carefully inspected prior to use. Then make a decision based on expert opinion.

I regularly fish rods easily dating back to the 1920's or 30's without any real problems.
Looks like you will be getting a message from me if I manage to snag a vintage rod at one of the garage sales someday soon, as I am going to be desperate to fish it.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Default F.E. Thomas 6'8"

Ronbill,

Found the Thomas taper and plotted it out. Compared it with the 6'0" 2 wt I use for small cuts.
Couple of things. The tip plot show the rod should be able to carry a 3 wt. well however the butt section is a lot less smaller than my 2 wt. suggesting a soggy butt section.
Some like it like that. For me, I like a firmer butt.

For those transitioning from the faster graphite rods of today, a very slow action rod will take a lot of getting used to.

That is the reason I suggest a tad steeper taper than the the Thomas.

And like all things in life - it's your choice.

And for all those would be collectors out there. Few rods <8' in length are found now unless you pay a sack full of cash.
Be aware of the garage sales. Most rods found in Western Canada are of the Post war Japanese era and they cost <>$3.00 retail when purchased in the last 50's>mid 60's. They are worth now what you pay for them. For me, $15 is too much unless it has the wooden box the rod came with. The box is quite well built.

regards,

Don
Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Don,
I agree with your comments on the original 6'8" FE Thomas fairy (which would be almost impossible to find). I think most current makers building rods based on this taper have beefed the butt section slightly to address the issue you raised.

I have a 6'8" 3wt from well known Oregon-based maker AJ Thramer that is pure delight to cast and have used it on local waters like Lynx, Cataract, Dutch and Racehorse creeks on up to Livingstone, Upper Oldman and Carbondale Rivers.

I also have owned shorter 6' bamboos rods too, but have found their lengths limited their use to only to the smallest of waters where casting distances are restricted (i.e. 20' - 30' tops) and more importantly where the fish are small (i.e. 12" and less).

The short rods are fun to use, but their limitations make them appropriate in special circumstances only, hence for someone starting out, I suggest they seek a rod length and taper that would be more universally applicable.
Once they get addicted to bamboo then add to their stable of rods to address specific fishing situations.

I also advise to stay away from the boxed bamboo kits that came out of post-WWII Japan as these are essentially worthless. As I stated earlier, you really need to learn what to look for prior to buying used rods. Unless you want to do some serious research on vintage rods, I would suggest you source out several reputable makers currently building rods and ask them for opinions on taper etc. Also, there are several well known dealers in the US that know both historic and current makers well enough to suggest appropriate rods. The dealers will offer both used and new bamboo. If you choose to buy new, I would contact the maker directly and discuss options.

Last edited by Ronbill; 10-08-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM

I should add that I also tend to prefer a slightly more progressive action taper (firm butt section that will only flex once more power is applied to the casting stroke as needed) and suggest this for experienced graphite users wanting to try bamboo. There are also fast (tip) action bamboo tapered rods available that would be an easy transition to bamboo. I personally don't care for fast action as this defeats the point of using bamboo in the first place in my opinion.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Bamboo Addicts

I used a Bamboo Rod for a good 20+ years. It was a sad day indeed when it finally had to be put into retirement.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM

i acquired my dads old cane this summer. i knew he had one and after a short search around the ranch i found it in the rafters of one of the sheds. i knew it needed some work and look forward to restoring it now that it's in my possession. i haven't had a chance to look into what it's going to take but am excited to, and i hope to be able to fish it next spring.

Dace
Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Dace, there are probably many around like you that have old cane rods sitting in the rafters. By all means, get someone to inspect it. You may end out with a very nice fishable rod at the end of the day.

Dragonslayer: you may want to consider getting that bamboo looked at as it may still give you a few more years with some refinishing/restoration work. Else you can hang it on the wall to admire.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM

It too, like Don. prefer a firmer butt.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Old Rod Repair

Guys,

Dig out those rods and fish 'em.
If they need repairs, it's no big deal unless they are delaminated or broken. Then best get some advice.
Be very careful not to get "bogged" down in the amount of info available on how to fix the rod.

regards,

Don

And Neil - am fishing a Para 15 for lakes - friends call them butt swingers. The rod is silky smooth and casts the line a mile. So sometimes a butt swinger works better than a firm butt - depends on your mood.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM

guys. i had a closer look at the rod i acquired over the weekend. it measures 8'6" and is made by wright & mcgill rod company denver colorado. i did a quick search on the rod, seems to be a classic. the reel is an automatic perrine no 81 from aladdin labs mpls. minn. the reel doesn't look to me to be removable? i've attached a couple pics of the reel. can any of you bamboo gurus share anymore of your knowledge on this set-up? thanks.

Dace