Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Default Aeration

So has anyone witnessed or heard about any winter kill in the lakes yet?
And progress on legislation? I haven't read anything yet.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 PM

As of today.
Checked with ACA and Ironside and Beaver are 2.5>3 ppm. Lethal or close
Fiesta is dead, Birch and Mitchell are 7>8. ESRD ordered ACA to shut off aeration last month I suspect due to fears that the higher 02 water would mix with the lower 02 creating a lethal condition.
The upside is with little snow and longer days, the 02 in many lakes will increase as the sun starts photosynthesis.
Nothing new on the legal front as far as I know.

Don
Old 02-10-2016, 07:02 AM

So far at least esrd has been lucky with Police.Last report 2wks ago,with NO aeration.Some areas were in the 7-8 range
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
So far at least esrd has been lucky with Police.Last report 2wks ago,with NO aeration.Some areas were in the 7-8 range
Tallieho,

The fish & anglers were lucky so far. The ESRD has done testing only.

Don
Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 AM

Default too bad about Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
As of today.
Fiesta is dead, Birch and Mitchell are 7>8. ESRD ordered ACA to shut off aeration last month I suspect due to fears that the higher 02 water would mix with the lower 02 creating a lethal condition.
The upside is with little snow and longer days, the 02 in many lakes will increase as the sun starts photosynthesis.

Don
Thanks for the info Don! Fingers crossed we have a lake fishery left in the spring.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Between the lakes lost to perch and aeration, thank a God gas prices are low enough to fish another Province.

Don
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
As of today.

Don
Hey Don do you think you could point me in the direction of some educational material on aeration? I dont understand why the high 02 and low 02 water mixing would create a lethal situation. Sound more like they would just mix and make a homogeneous mixture. I thought uniform concentrations of 02 from one end of a lake to the other seems pretty typical on aerated lakes. Maybe causing too much turnover? Maybe I'm missing something....
What was different this year that they would turn them off part way? I ponder if they actually have an alterior motive for killing these lakes off. Cuz this spit don't add up. Special fences with docks to block retards from going "lemming mode" in the name of avoiding lawsuits.....

When and where was somebody sued for this successfully? I would like to look into the case that lead to our province doing something so stupid, there is no justification. I wish the aca and esrd just grew some damn balls instead of bending right over. This is wrong. These aerators should have open water right now. And low die offs. It's like we are trying to kill these fish.....

I thought a game plan was in place for these 8 lakes. Hearing the aerators have been turned off is seriously aggravating. I've seen other aerators running this year. One with a rope and sign saying don't cross this rope....Which leads me to believe that there are counties still aerating. And that our province has dropped the ball with this exaggerated knee jerk reaction. Which further leads me to believe that whomever this lawyer was that got all the esrd and aca panties all knoted up got everyone all in a knot for nothing, probably trying to justify their job in tougher times. This has hurt several fisheries. Wasting years of efforts and tax dollars.

I think it's time this issue starts making headlines again.

So the aca is so afraid that someone could sue over thin ice.....are they not afraid of the fish genocide factor?! Because I might have just found a use for PETA! And I'm not kidding. I don't want Alberta to get a worse rapport then we already do, but I'd rather have decent fisheries than a decent name. I wonder how PETA would feel about us sticking thousands of fish in so we can suffocate them?! These fish should be treated like a responsibility! We put them there we should be doing what we can to sustain them. Alberta seems to be a pretty ****ty parent these days.....

Could this be inexperience/NDP related?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:42 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Hey Don do you think you could point me in the direction of some educational material on aeration? I dont understand why the high 02 and low 02 water mixing would create a lethal situation. Sound more like they would just mix and make a homogeneous mixture. I thought uniform concentrations of 02 from one end of a lake to the other seems pretty typical on aerated lakes. Maybe causing too much turnover? Maybe I'm missing something....

🖍As the winter season progresses, the 02 laden water rises till it disappears. A 30' depth of water may only have a foot or less of water with O2. Stirring it up would make it lethal fast🖍

What was different this year that they would turn them off part way?

🖍I suspect that the 02 layer was so thin, mixing would have killed quick.🖍

I ponder if they actually have an alterior motive for killing these lakes off. Cuz this spit don't add up. Special fences with docks to block retards from going "lemming mode" in the name of avoiding lawsuits.....

🖍Like you, I have some concerns about the ACA performanceO. AB Parks ran the old style units and well as some counties. The only group NOT TO USE THE OLD SYSTEM WAS THE ACA🖍.

When and where was somebody sued for this successfully? I would like to look into the case that lead to our province doing something so stupid, there is no justification. I wish the aca and esrd just grew some damn balls instead of bending right over. This is wrong. These aerators should have open water right now. And low die offs. It's like we are trying to kill these fish.....

🖍See the ACA web site for discussion on legal aspects. As far as ESRD, they don't areate anything. 🖍

I thought a game plan was in place for these 8 lakes. Hearing the aerators have been turned off is seriously aggravating. I've seen other aerators running this year. One with a rope and sign saying don't cross this rope....Which leads me to believe that there are counties still aerating. And that our province has dropped the ball with this exaggerated knee jerk reaction.

🖍The Govt developed a Policy to deal with Areation in less than a month. Taking from a guy who has watched Govt Fishery Policies for years, this was in absolutely record time. The ACA chose to ignore the policy.🖍

Which further leads me to believe that whomever this lawyer was that got all the esrd and aca panties all knoted up got everyone all in a knot for nothing, probably trying to justify their job in tougher times. This has hurt several fisheries. Wasting years of efforts and tax dollars.

I think it's time this issue starts making headlines again.

So the aca is so afraid that someone could sue over thin ice.....are they not afraid of the fish genocide factor?! Because I might have just found a use for PETA! And I'm not kidding. I don't want Alberta to get a worse rapport then we already do, but I'd rather have decent fisheries than a decent name. I wonder how PETA would feel about us sticking thousands of fish in so we can suffocate them?! These fish should be treated like a responsibility! We put them there we should be doing what we can to sustain them. Alberta seems to be a pretty ****ty parent these days.....

Could this be inexperience/NDP related?
🖍Unlike previous Govts, the NDP has responded to fisheries issues in record time. The stream closures in southern Alberta is one & the Policy on Areation is another.🖍

My responses are between the red crayons.

Don
Old 02-16-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
🖍Unlike previous Govts, the NDP has responded to fisheries issues in record time. The stream closures in southern Alberta is one & the Policy on Areation is another.🖍

My responses are between the red crayons.

Don

Thanks Don

I agree that the plan to close streams in the heat was excellent and the plan to aerate seemed like a good one too but hearing they've been turned off is concerning. I don't really want to waste time this year chasing big fish that may no longer be present.

If the aerators were left running would there still only be the oxygen rich layer? Would the circulation not keep the mixture homogeneous rather than stratification?

Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 PM

It appers like the bubbler Areation unit used by the ACA was not capable of areating the whole water column. It provided little opportunity for be 02 to be adsorbed. This left a shallow layer of water near the ice. To disturb this layer was to court disaster as it would mix with the low 02 water making the whole lake lethal. It appears like the bubblers contributed little to the 02.
Turning off the bubbler aerators preserved what little 02 water that remained.
The old style of fountain surface units were started early and ran until ice formed. This was an attempt to "load" the lake with 02. The bubblers were then installed over the next month and one half.
What is to be done next?

Regards,

Don
Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
It appers like the bubbler Areation unit used by the ACA was not capable of areating the whole water column. It provided little opportunity for be 02 to be adsorbed. This left a shallow layer of water near the ice. To disturb this layer was to court disaster as it would mix with the low 02 water making the whole lake lethal. It appears like the bubblers contributed little to the 02.
Turning off the bubbler aerators preserved what little 02 water that remained.
The old style of fountain surface units were started early and ran until ice formed. This was an attempt to "load" the lake with 02. The bubblers were then installed over the next month and one half.
What is to be done next?

Regards,

Don

Thanks for the details. You think older fish at beaver or ironside will make it at this rate?

Old 02-17-2016, 06:51 AM

I don't think it really matters ,big & old.If there is no air ,they will perish.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 AM

Default Let your money do the talking

Don't buy an Alberta fishing license for the next three to four years. I'll probably stop fishing in AB now. Missing revenue is all the gov't understands.
With the lakes possibly done, can you imagine how many people will be on the rivers this year? Good bye cutties except for in the far reaches.