Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Default Ladies rifle

Im new on here and would like some help and information about ladies rifles. I am recently divorced and my ex husband turned me onto hunting and I really love it. I would like to go with my uncle this year and would like to surprise him by having my very own gun.

Please help!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM

LOL that's pretty good.

Enjoy it folks, before the thread is pulled.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=92416

Here's a good girls gun

tm

ps...there is another thread that just started that will have some good info for you

pps....Welcome to the forum

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 05-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Do you have your PAL yet? Also what is it you will be hunting?

Plus to the forum

You'll find lot's of helpfull info on here and there's lots of great people that can help you out with what your looking for juts give us a little more info and we can help you out some more
Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 PM

What do you intend to hunt? Are you a smaller lady? For smaller ladies, youth guns sometimes fit best.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL that's pretty good.

Enjoy it folks, before the thread is pulled.
OK, I take it back. The OP may be serious. LOL Just got taken in by the "I just got divorced, want a gun, and want it to be a surprise" slant. LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks. So like I said I am new to this so any tips on using this forum would be great too cause Im not sure what the first gentleman meant by his comment?

As for your question about what Ill be hunting we are going to go deer hunting for now and we will see how that goes then maybe moose my uncle loves his moose meat lol. I am short and I dont know average build?

Ps as for the PAL my uncle was looking into that for me. I just thought it would be neat if I bought my own rifle maybe showed him I knew a little about hunting lol. Looks like i have lots to learn!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM

A youth gun in 7mm-08 might be a good starter rifle for you. You can buy "Managed Recoil " loads by Remington if the recoil is a little stiff.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes View Post
I just thought it would be neat if I bought my own rifle maybe showed him I knew a little about hunting lol. Looks like i have lots to learn!
on the other hand I'm sure he would be honoured if you asked his advice and would be happy to help you.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Definitely 7mm-08,270win,260rem,alot of fellows on this site might let you try one out.I dont own one sorry,gave em all to my little sister.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Hey blue eyes welcome...as has been mentioned you will need your PAL before purchasing a rifle..and i would suggest taking your hunter training as well. I believe you can do it online...you needs this in order to get your WIN card which allows you to purchase licenses, tags etc..

as for a rifle, I am sure there are a few members on here that would love to volunteer to take a new and excited hunter out to the range with a few different rifles to see what you like.

good luck.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes View Post
Thanks. So like I said I am new to this so any tips on using this forum would be great too cause Im not sure what the first gentleman meant by his comment?
Ignore him, sometimes he pees on the floors...

You're well down the path now Blueyes. Just don't get overwhelmed with all the opinions you'll hear. Sometimes you'll have to wade through the BS to get to some facts but there is some wisdom here.

I'm not sure if shooters edge in Calgary rents hunting rifles but if they did that would be a good place to start. Rent a few and see what you think about the recoil, rifle size etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Ignore him, sometimes he pees on the floors...

oh give it a rest. I explained quite clearly what the post was about and indicated it was a joke.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Before jumping head first into a purchase of a rifle, take the time and see if a few members from the forum would offer up a few rifles for you to try.

My experience is a lot of youth and lady rifles still don't fit the smaller shooter because the grip dimensions fail to take into account the end users smaller hands.

I'm offering up the rifles my wife and children use for you to try, just PM me and we will see what we can make happen

There are no absolutes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Before jumping head first into a purchase of a rifle, take the time and see if a few members from the forum would offer up a few rifles for you to try.

My experience is a lot of youth and lady rifles still don't fit the smaller shooter because the grip dimensions fail to take into account the end users smaller hands.

I'm offering up the rifles my wife and children use for you to try, just PM me and we will see what we can make happen
Totally agree Dick...and good on ya for the offer!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Welcome to the jungle! We got fun 'n' games...well, some of us...

How could you leave a guy who introduce you to hunting???

J/K, So tell us what kind of rifles/calibers did you fire before? How much of recoil can you handle?
There was a good advice about the 7-08, .270, .260Rem. They are good cartridges with little recoil.
You can get your Hunters Education Certificate through online, and at the same site you can prepare yourself for the Firearms Safety Test, which required for PAL.

Hunter
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 PM

700 remmy or ruger or winchester
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM

I agree with elk a 7mm-08 or a .308win as for the rifle because you said you are short a youth model will probably fit you best. When you go to the store to buy one make sure you hold a few and buy one that fits not the one with the most bells and whistles.

I had a friend who went with her hubby to the gun store they bought a $2000 browning titanium in .308 but the butt stock was so long she had to crane her neck like a giraffe to see through the scope. As a result her shooting was not that great she would have been far better of to buy a cheaper rifle that fit and a more expensive scope.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 PM

A number of years ago, I bought a Rem Model 7, Ladies/Youth model, in 7mm-08, for my wife. My oldest daughter has since inherited (borrowed, liberated, swiped???)this rifle, although the wife does use it from time to time for calf moose during the Camp Wainwright hunt. I don't know how many pounds of moose meat they have have put into our freezers between the two of them, but it is substantial, to say the least. Low recoil, and accurate, too. It would be a good one for you, I think.

LR
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Welcome, Blueyes You'll learn a lot from the folks here on the forum (and, as you hang around here more you'll learn to understand the cast of characters ).

If your goal is to purchase your own gun so you can hunt with your uncle this year, I would suggest you start by getting your PAL (and I'd suggest you get a move on it, as the closer you get to the fall the longer it takes to process the applications). You can also do your hunter ed online (http://www.aheia.com/index.cfm?REFID...FQcBbAodTW4sSw), which you'll need (if you don't have it already).

In taking the PAL course you'll learn quite a bit about firearms that will be useful (and your PAL is a requirement to purchasing a gun): the different actions, the characteristics of different types of ammo, etc. You'll also get to handle some guns (not fire, but handle), and you might get a bit of an idea about what fits and what appeals to you.

As I go through the process of deciding what deer gun to purchase---I'm hyperalgesic (increased sensitivity to pain: things that shouldn't hurt do, and recoil can make me whimper pretty badly) so it becomes a little complicated---I've examined this article and the accompanying table quite closely and I'm finding it helpful:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Where are you located?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Smile Queen Elizabeth?

Doesn't she shoot a .257? I'd go with a 243, my wife can shoot anything but she is a big girl.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM

I only shoot lady rifles lol. By nature, they are more accurate and have been known to stop a beating heart by merely pointing the barrell. Seriously, take Dick284's generous offer.

7mm08 and 25.06 are my fav's (ladies rifles for men...dohhhhhhhhhh)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=92416

Here's a good girls gun

tm

ps...there is another thread that just started that will have some good info for you

pps....Welcome to the forum
Nice one...lol
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

ya 7mm-08, if you want something bigger and manage recoil easilly, 7mm wsm.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM

I just got my wife a nice little Remington 700 SPS Youth in 243WIN and she loves it!!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM

theres a great looking 25 06 rem on the for sale thread at the min that may suit you
Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Great information guys your all so helpful, this forum is great! I will check out all the information you guys gave me and get back to you. Dick284 thank you what a kind offer