Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Poachers and what to do?

I have a spot in 334 that I bow hunt on crown land. There isn't any houses around and the road that goes by the crown land is lower than the surrounding area. There is hay fields across the road and the deer seem to cross the road at last light. I try to intercept them from their bedding area to their staging area before they cross the road. My concern is there are road hunters shooting out vehicles. I can't see them, but I can hear the vehicles slow down and then hear a shot. This is in the archery season. I know bear season is open but I have never seen a bear in that area. After the shot you can hear the vehicle speed away. Now when I'm done hunting and go to my vehicle and go home. I decided to go to the same spot the next morning only to find a gut pile were I was parked the night before with drag marks from the hay fields across the road.(which is posted no hunting) This is one example. Another time I was leaving my stand a little early and I could see some Doe's between me and the road. I can hear a vehicle coming. The vehicle stops right in line with me and the Doe's. I can see the window go down and the rifle pointing out. There was no shot, I'm guessing they were after bucks. Pretty scary moment, I hid behind the biggest tree I could find and hoped for the best. I wish I could have got a plate #, but all I know is that it was a dark colored truck with tinted windows. Should I call FW without any hard evidence. I would love to see them set up a mechanical deer and bust these guys. Or should I just set up in a tree close to the road with a camera. I am also pretty sure they are shooting deer and leaving them there because during spring shed hunting I have found lots of dead deer close to the road, with antlers missing. I do realize some guys do the gutless method and leave all the bones and guts there but I would think being that close to the road it would be easier to take the whole animal. Just looking for some advice.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Call it in.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Call F&W explain the problem and let them monitor the area.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Not clear why there is even a question about what you should do...

Report it, report everything you see / find, and call back to find out what they are doing to address the problems. Otherwise, expect it to stay the same, or get worse.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 AM

I will call them, Report a poacher #??
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM

I'd make a call as well.

As far as with the gutless method there should still not be a bunch of crap laying around.....just a backbone/neck and gutz when I leave unless the ribs are pounded out.

Maybe the leg bones if they bone em' out.....but if I'm even remotely close to a road the legs are staying on the bone.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I will call them, Report a poacher #??
On the back of your WIN card

1-800-642-3800

telus mobility #3800
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Thanks Everybody.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Call F&W explain the problem and let them monitor the area.
X2
Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Rule of thumb on the gutless method, its usually only people hunting in the mountains that take advantage of this when you are hiking meat a long way out. Any animal shot close to the road or that can be driven up to is usually just gutted and loaded whole.

Sounds scary where your hunting at I would phone the fish cops and let them know whats going on they may be able to catch them if it is a habitual problem
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM

I'd report it and most importantly BE CAREFUL that you don't wind up in the cross hairs, literally. It would be real easy for a camo'd bow hunter to be mistaken for a deer after dark by a poacher. Hope your season improves and stay safe out there.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Pretty easy to get shot by idiots. Watch out.
Call it in as well. Good luck with your tag.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Get an orange 10 mile cloth sash/banner you can slip over your shoulder when walking out.

If it isn't a well used road....Put a trail cam hidden somewhere along the road to get the plate numbers of the roadhunters.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 PM

Call it in for sure.... this is the whole problem... i see where you are coming from, but you have to at least let the FW do their job. why do we pay them if not for situations like this
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 AM

I've called with just a good description of the truck and it led to charges .....call it in !