Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Thirty Years Ago Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2b53...related&search=

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...vis.medium.cnn

Do you older fellows remember where you were when Elvis dies?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM

I was pegging off rats with a slingshot back in the Philippines. When I came in for lunch, my mom said Elvis was dead. I was 8 years old. Mom and dad were Elvis fans. They had several records and we always watched the films any time they are on tv.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Remembering where I was

I was working in the bush in the High Level - Zama area when Elvis died. That year was one of the best years of my life even though were slogging around in muskegg, I was in the best shape of my life.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Just outside of Moose Jaw heading to Manitoba.
I remember my Mom being very upset.
I was 7

ELVIS was and is THE KING.

Jamie
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Don't have a clue where I was. Elvis was quite an entertainer and I went to see a few of his movies but his passing was not a big event for me. People come and people go.

Robin in Rocky
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 PM

My Bro & I were on our way to hockey school when we heard.
Man I'm old.

TBark
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM

Getting ready to hit the river .
Didn't really surprise me.
What didn't surprisde me either was when the guy on the radio announced yesterday how much money
he had ,made through films. yet had only on nomination for the
Accadamy awards.
The snobs didn't want to recognize him even though millions of other people did!

Cat
Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 AM

I was workin afternoon shift at Save Easy.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM

dont recall. i would have been 13
never did understand all the hype about the whole elvis thang...sorry!
i guess ya had to 'be' there.
cheers

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM

I was 14, had my learners and was driving my mom home from Calgary, we were east of town on # 1, heard it on the radio.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Don't have a clue where I was. Elvis was quite an entertainer and I went to see a few of his movies but his passing was not a big event for me. People come and people go.

Robin in Rocky
Yea that is how I feel to.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 AM
s_buffalo

Personally, I think they would have made a laughingstock of him by now, if he was still alive. No one would take him seriously anymore.

Quote:
People come and people go.
True. The hype likely stems from the fact that Elvis is effectively frozen in time, and people want to re-identify with their [younger] selves somehow by idolizing him and clinging to his memory, and remembering how he made them feel when they saw/heard him perform.

That, and of course the fact that some people are naturally drawn to a tragedy... In Elvis' case, the tragedy of a talented person's life that ended too soon.

Stinky B.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
they saw/heard him perform
My younger sister went to see him in Toronto shortly before he croaked. He was drunk/stoned on stage, couldn't remember where he was in songs & stumbling around.

She walked out......

I have no idea where I was at the time he passed. (didn't care)
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Cat,
Elvis was never dominated for an academy award. The closest he came to acting in a serious movie was with Barbra Streisand...... "A Star Is Born"....He was offered the part......but..... Barb was to be the star of the movie and Elvis the co-star, Colonel Tom (Elvis's manager) said no thanks, my boy's the star or he doesn't act. Kris Kristofferson got the part.
The colonel was a shrewd manager and though Elvis didn't always agree with his decisions (as in this case) he always did what the Colonel said. Elvis stared in 31 movies and near the end of his film career he admitted he didn't want to star in another chessy low class movie. He did want to become a serious actor but that never happened.

Reeves, Elvis only performed once in Vancouver. Canadians boooed him in that performance (year was 56 or 57) and they recked the stage. 'E' never came back to Canada again, and for that reason.
Quote:
He was drunk/stoned on stage, couldn't remember where he was in songs & stumbling around.
I find that very hard to believe, first off Elvis didn't drink, secondly (if your referring to illegal drugs) he never did street drugs. Elvis possessed a FBI narcotics badge given to him by Richard Nixon. Elvis did abuse drugs but they were all authorized by a doctor. He only did prescription drugs.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nsa/elvis/elnix.html
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 PM

Well, info on one side must be wrong. I was just telling what she told me. She wasn't born in 56, and she saw him (as far as I know) in Toronto. She said he was fat, drunk and/or stoned. Many walked out of that concert. Too bad I cannot contact her for more details.....
Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 PM

I was still in my Mommies tummy.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Thirty Years Ago

I was in the backseat of our car heading into Alberta Beach. I was 7. Elvis is one of a kind, and in todays world there will probably never be another one like him. He had it all. Ultimate power corrupts absolutely. If he someone who could have shaken some sense into him or said no once in a while he would still be around. Old, fat, but still givin 'er in the jumpsuit and big sunglasses. Everything aside, drug abuse, fat, stoned blah blah, the guy could entertain. He was the King.
LB
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 PM

LB, what you say is true but how do you protect someone from themselves.
If you want to read a good book about 'E' pickup "Elvis What Happened" written by three of his close friends and body guards. Red West, Sonny West and Dave Hebler. These guys were part of his Memphis Mafia from beginning to end.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:26 PM

I was 4 when 'E' kicked the bucket, but I remember the ensuing week with the media realitively well. The death of Elvis kinda was the final piece in the trifecta. JFK, MLK, and Elvis. End of an era type of stuff.

Here's a bit of a monkey wrench/hijack, Tuc, but where were you when Princess Dianna died?

Tree
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Wink

Tree, (like putting me on the spot eh! I'll get ya...lol) Are you one of those paranormal guys with that ESP?

I do remember where I was when Diana died , the little lady and I were kinda foolin around you could say. DAMN!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

Well thanks to my SIRIUS radio, we've been listening to ELVIS tribute week all week long on the ELVIS CHANNEL (13) btw...awesome!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Cat,
Elvis was never dominated for an academy award. The closest he came to acting in a serious movie was with Barbra Streisand...... "A Star Is Born"....He was offered the part......but..... Barb was to be the star of the movie and Elvis the co-star, Colonel Tom (Elvis's manager) said no thanks, my boy's the star or he doesn't act. Kris Kristofferson got the part.
The colonel was a shrewd manager and though Elvis didn't always agree with his decisions (as in this case) he always did what the Colonel said. Elvis stared in 31 movies and near the end of his film career he admitted he didn't
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nsa/elvis/elnix.html
I just got the acadamy thing off the radio, i have no pertanent knowledge of it myself.
However, I did see one Elvis film, it was the first time I ever went to a theatre
by myself.
Viva las Vegas.
Still like the song, and the car scenes were kinda cool.
cat
Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 AM

I was waiting in a line up to buy a hamburger at Bowness Park in Calgary. Came over the radio on CKXL.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM

I was 3, so I guess I was raising hell.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM

With all of the news stories on that day (I was working at the local paper for the summer) the thing that most amazed us was finding out that Elvis had a twin brother.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 PM

He was still born.