Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2022, 11:09 AM

Default A day in Mexico

Spent a day fishing in Mexico out of PuertoAventuras. Our initial plan was to head to Ascension Bay and fish the flats for bonefish tarpon snook and barracuda....but after making a few inquiries we were convinced to head out fishing on the reef instead just because a lot of the fishing is low season and very slow right now.
I've done plenty of deep sea trolling in the past so jigging was the game and our captain (who we found out after was locally known as the amber jack king) had us on fish all day.
4 species caught and lost a few others. We started out the day jigging 300-500ft humps for amber jack. These things are wild.....extreme power and no stop to the fight. Our biggest was just over 60lbs (which is considered quite large) and took us close to 30 minutes to land. We caught several Bonito throughout the day that served as great bait. I got lucky as I was hooked into a Bonito and about halfway up from 400 feet my drag started screaming and line was pulling away from the boat not straight down. The captain knew right away a shark had taken my fish and we were just waiting for the line to go limp....it never did and manged to land a 5ft reef shark with a perfect hook set in the corner of the mouth on a 100lb mono leader. Apparently that never happens.
We ended the day jigging mid water for trigger fish....caught dozens of them on light spinning gear and that was an absolute blast as well. All in all a absolutely great day on the water. We kept an amber jack....our captain directed us to a local restaurant that prepared ceviche sashimi and seared steaks with our fish....may have very well been the best fish meal I've ever eaten in my life.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2022, 11:33 AM

Nice! I am jealous!
Old 12-09-2022, 11:53 AM

looks like a wicked trip!! i need to go back to mexico. What was the cost of the fishing trip?

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-09-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
looks like a wicked trip!! i need to go back to mexico. What was the cost of the fishing trip?
We got an 8hr deal for $600us. 26ft center console with a 150hp outboard captain first mate drinks and lunch included.
Local guy....his gear was good all daiwa and Penn stuff....and they were dialed. The big boats were all 1000+ for a day.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Looks like a great time!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-09-2022, 03:59 PM

Sounds and looks great!
Old 12-09-2022, 04:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Now that’s a fishing trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-09-2022, 05:32 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-09-2022, 05:36 PM

Where were you at? I'm heading to Nuevo Vallarta in March and am definitely going fishing when I'm down there. Just need to find a good outfit to go with.
Loooks like a great time.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:56 PM

That looks like an absolutely epic day! Would love to do that. Last time I fished Mexico was cabo back in 2014, got my striped marlin, and had a local restaurant do the sashimi and steaks with it as well. So good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-09-2022, 06:13 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea about fishing in Mexico. You definitely had a lot of fun, according to the smiles I see.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:27 AM

Looks like an amazing trip! bet you were thinking of your ice auger the whole time eh!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-10-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Looks like an amazing trip! bet you were thinking of your ice auger the whole time eh!
Well I am glad it was -30 for a large portion of our trip away from home and when I get back Monday it will have warmed up and all the lakes should have good ice.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:15 AM

Nice!! And well timed it seems. Those meals look ridiculous good. Thanks for trip report.