Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2022, 10:30 PM

Default Garage Frost

Walked out into the garage tonight to find all this frost/ice. I am a newish homeowner having moved into it just over a year ago and have noticed when its really cold this is what happens. It's an attached garage that has heat but I don't normally use it. The house is not old by any means being built in 2013. The attic above the garage is blown in insulation and the walls are fiberglass batt. There is frost on the footing as well which I would think is normal seeing as it would be uninsulated.

The first photo is the garage door, second is the header above the garage door. Last 2 are each far corner of the garage ceiling with frost showing up on the drywall.

How normal is this? could there be other issues I should be looking into?
Old 12-18-2022, 10:34 PM

Unheated but insulated garage? That would be totally normal
Old 12-18-2022, 10:36 PM

If it's freezing in there, you'll have frost.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
If it's freezing in there, you'll have frost.
Its not below freezing in the garage, I have my truck parked on a floor mat and any water on the matt is still liquid.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:47 PM

In this cold, even in a heated garage, frost will form at the panel joints on garage doors and around the edges of a garage door e.g., your header.

If you want to reduce the level of frost, put some heat in the garage. I'm leaving mine around 8C right now and there is still frost on the garage door at the panel joints. No frost anywhere else. My foundation is ICF.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:49 PM

In very cold it is normal. Most doors are only r16 for insulation. Also the weatherstripping around o/h doors usually leaks a bit of air. As for the corners depending on slope of roof and a few other factors but for some roofs the corners can be impossible to get a true r40/50 insulation so it might be alot less.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 12-18-2022, 10:53 PM

Likely a freezing in parts of the garage and not others compounded by lack of circulation. Buddy had infloor heat in his attached garage and was getting enough moisture that large patches of mold was growing on the drywall around the doors. A little bathroom fan fixed it. You're likely going to have issues when that frost melts. I'd look into circulation, see if a simple floor fan helps even.

You don’t normally use the heat in your garage but it has it?

If that’s the case turn up the heat and that should liquify the problem.

I wouldn’t be to concerned/lose sleep about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Its not below freezing in the garage, I have my truck parked on a floor mat and any water on the matt is still liquid.
That is most likely due to all the road salt mixed with the snow and ice that falls off your vehicle.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:02 PM
Banned

I have in floor heating in mine and use a dehumidifier..if I see any build up on windows....on it goes
Old 12-18-2022, 11:08 PM
Banned

I have in floor heating in mine and use a dehumidifier..if I see any build up on windows....on it goes.....DUH...getting late
Old 12-18-2022, 11:46 PM

Turn the heat on. You're likely only saving a few bucks a year by not using the heater.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:26 AM

Why are you getting frost? A couple of things here.
1- When you park your vehicle in an insulated garage, there is usually no place for the moisture to escape. So the moisture from your vehicle will settle on the coldest places such as the window, the steel garage door (especially where the sections meet together), and the concrete footing. That's normal. However...
2- Where the frost and subsequent damage is appearing on the drywall area, that is not normal. That needs to be fixed. There is not enough insulation at that spot. When blown in insulation doesn't reach the very corner, or the wind stop is compromised, you'll get frost at that point. Remember, cold spots allow moisture to gather and freeze during the cold times. Where the frost shows up on a wall, anywhere on the wall, the wall insulation and perhaps the vapour barrier are compromised. You need to repair this as soon as it warms up. So....
Climb up into the attic and correct the wind stop if it's not correct. When the breeze comes through the soffit area and the wind stop isn't correct the insulation blows further into the center and leaves no or very little insulation where you see the frost build up. You can set the stop correctly and staple it in place better. Then, stuff some batt insulation in there to cure the problem. You don't need to blow more in that area but you can go that route, it's a bit more expensive and more work. While you're up there, check the vapour barrier and be sure it's installed correctly. Safety first, wear a mask to prevent breathing the dust in and only step on the joists not the drywall area.
When there is frost on the walls or ceiling you must take a portion of the drywall off and inspect for proper insulation and vapour barrier. Correct as needed. Then replace the water damaged drywall area with new drywall, mud and tape. Repaint as required. You may find some mold behind the drywall but don't panic, just replace the material and move along. Don't call the hazmat people.
Heating the garage will not prevent all the trouble you're having but it helps maybe a bit. If you want to get moisture out you'll need an air exchange system to accomplish that but let's not get carried away.
Any questions on details, just ask.
Next lesson will be about heater choice. That will be another thread.

Last edited by Landshark; 12-19-2022 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:52 AM

I keep the heat on in the garage and have it set about 7 or 8 degrees, it's well insulated and I never have frost lines or moisture, when I had the radiant tube heater in there I still had frost lines by the door and had to run a little fan to keep the air moving, but not now with the overhead forced air furnace.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I keep the heat on in the garage and have it set about 7 or 8 degrees, it's well insulated and I never have frost lines or moisture, when I had the radiant tube heater in there I still had frost lines by the door and had to run a little fan to keep the air moving, but not now with the overhead forced air furnace.
I still get a little frost on the doors, especially along the joints, but a lot of that may be a result of the humidity, from parking the truck in the garage and having the snow melt.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I still get a little frost on the doors, especially along the joints, but a lot of that may be a result of the humidity, from parking the truck in the garage and having the snow melt.
Exactly correct.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:26 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a garage door in cold climates that doesn’t get some ice build up along the door joints. My garage is spray foam insulation by the previous owner with no heater. I still get frost build up on the foundation and door joints. On my list of things to do is get a small electric heater to hang from the truss if I want to work out there in the winter.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:34 AM

Just a suggestion. If you have that much frost and moisture. Like others have mentioned heat and air movement are your friend. Also oil your lift springs, I lay rags onto of the door to catch drips and oil with a small amount of ATF along the entire lenght. It keeps the springs rust free and from seizing and eventually breaking down the road. Dogfish
Old 12-19-2022, 11:32 AM

Probably moisture from the snow , pretty normal I have that on mine as well on really cold days
Old 12-19-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
water on the matt is still liquid.
This is the source of your frost.

Move air and reduce humidity.

Make sure to drag the mat out every once in a while and dump the water.

I do windows and doors for a living and humidity on interior surfaces is something I help people with almost daily through cold snaps.

We have an unheated/insulated garage at home the wife parks in. I flip the mat a couple times a week and run a fan in there during really cold snaps. Keeps the frost away and dries things out.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:54 PM

The frost on the garage door is to be expected. The frost up on the corner of the ceiling would indicate to me of an improperly insulated section of the attic and should be explored further.

The blown-in insulation is only as good as the person(s) doing the work. Far to often those tough to reach areas are missed due to laziness and get in and get it done quickly factor.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:29 PM

We have started to install bathroom fans in all our new house garages.

Always moisture problems in the middle of winter with vehicle snow. This seems to have lessened the issue of moisture which leads to frosting.

Need to add some heat and get ventilation, dehumidifier in there.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
We have started to install bathroom fans in all our new house garages.

Always moisture problems in the middle of winter with vehicle snow. This seems to have lessened the issue of moisture which leads to frosting.

Need to add some heat and get ventilation, dehumidifier in there.
Good advice. A bath fan. I think I'll put one in this spring on a timer.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Good advice. A bath fan. I think I'll put one in this spring on a timer.

I have mine hooked to a humidistat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2022, 02:57 PM

Even just a ceiling fan on in there will reduce the frost buildup.
A fan and 8° will nearly eliminate it. Even with water on the ground.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:05 PM

If you have a heater turn the heat up to 15 C air will hold a lot more humidity and it won’t condense out on you for and walls.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Why are you getting frost? A couple of things here.
1- When you park your vehicle in an insulated garage, there is usually no place for the moisture to escape. So the moisture from your vehicle will settle on the coldest places such as the window, the steel garage door (especially where the sections meet together), and the concrete footing. That's normal. However...
2- Where the frost and subsequent damage is appearing on the drywall area, that is not normal. That needs to be fixed. There is not enough insulation at that spot. When blown in insulation doesn't reach the very corner, or the wind stop is compromised, you'll get frost at that point. Remember, cold spots allow moisture to gather and freeze during the cold times. Where the frost shows up on a wall, anywhere on the wall, the wall insulation and perhaps the vapour barrier are compromised. You need to repair this as soon as it warms up. So....
Climb up into the attic and correct the wind stop if it's not correct. When the breeze comes through the soffit area and the wind stop isn't correct the insulation blows further into the center and leaves no or very little insulation where you see the frost build up. You can set the stop correctly and staple it in place better. Then, stuff some batt insulation in there to cure the problem. You don't need to blow more in that area but you can go that route, it's a bit more expensive and more work. While you're up there, check the vapour barrier and be sure it's installed correctly. Safety first, wear a mask to prevent breathing the dust in and only step on the joists not the drywall area.
When there is frost on the walls or ceiling you must take a portion of the drywall off and inspect for proper insulation and vapour barrier. Correct as needed. Then replace the water damaged drywall area with new drywall, mud and tape. Repaint as required. You may find some mold behind the drywall but don't panic, just replace the material and move along. Don't call the hazmat people.
Heating the garage will not prevent all the trouble you're having but it helps maybe a bit. If you want to get moisture out you'll need an air exchange system to accomplish that but let's not get carried away.
Any questions on details, just ask.
Next lesson will be about heater choice. That will be another thread.
That’s way more information than the heating and refrigeration company could or would give us about the problem we have in our shop. If you have time I need to shoot you a message
Old 12-20-2022, 08:44 AM
Banned

i hung a ceiling fan, have an overhead natural gas heater, water trays under my vehicles, and vacuum up any water that melts off my vehicles......keep the temp just above freezing and bob's yer uncle. i regularly work in my garage and keeping it barely warm. benefits all my tools (no condensation or frost on them, thus no rust)

i'd be concerned if there was frost like that in my garage because i think it is as some others have posted......its a sign that the insulation behind your drywall is not installed properly.

i'm not a carpenter, but am never stuck for an opinion!