Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 01:16 PM

Default WTB Camera for my wife

What can people suggest my son has a canon 5i and my wife wants a camera with similar capabilities to take long distance wildlife and scenery pictures.

What can you suggest this is for her birthday.

Thank You
Old 05-23-2024, 01:23 PM

What is your location? Based on this we can maybe suggest some good camera shops.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:59 PM

The longer the lens the more important glass quality and stabilization is. Pentax is one of the few that that have used the same lens mount for decades, which means there is a ton of high quality lens availabe, at decent prices. Most of the other makes have kept changing their lens mounts. The other make that has done this is Nikon, but I won't buy or use Nikon anymore since they welched on their lifetime scope warranties. Sold all my Nikon gear after that. Use to have Nikon and Pentax, running all Pentax now.

McBain Cameras is a great place to get advice.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:19 PM

Hasn't Cannon also used the same lens mount for a really long time too?
Old 05-23-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Nope. They are among the worst. Change mounts regularly. At least 8 if I remeber right and about 3 times in the last 10 years alone that I recall.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Canon changed to the RF mount for their mirrorless camera system.
Adapters are available.

Nikon similarly changed to their Z mount for their mirrorless system
Adapters are available.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:05 PM

Your dating yourself Dean2 lol

Been shooting Canon last 15 years. There are 3 Canon lens mounts in this time. EF-s being the oldest and not compatible with the Ef and Rf. Those were mainly pro consumer entry level cameras ie rebel etc.

Ef is compatible with the newest Rf lenses with an adapter. RF is for nitriles cameras. Ef has the biggest range of available lenses and best price points especially for wild life lenses from 300 to 800mm.(used market). RF is the newest generation and new format and doesn’t have allot of available lenses and what they do have is expensive. I just changed over to this format. I like the upgrade especially the body and excellent focus and tracking systems, crazy good. Be careful wildlife photography is not a cheap hobby lol. What I will tell you is bodies come and go l, so would rarely buy new. but glass is forever! Prime lenses for wildlife is the way to go. 300mm f2.8. Can ad 1.4 adapter without loosing any degradation. 500mm f4 is the standard for wildlife. It’s big and weighs a bit. Tripod helps immensely. Great price points in used market. It were still talking thousands of dollars

Biggest question is how much you’re willing to spend? As your cheapest option ie under a grand is a camera that has an optical zoom built in. Maybe happy with that but the end results don’t compare but maybe very happy with end result

Even the old EF that I’m suggesting still takes stellar picture in the right hands. Examples below.

[/url][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-23-2024, 11:08 PM

Well, I am getting old, and it is true you have to remember a long ways back to recall the 8 or 10 lenses changes over the years. However, since even by your account, they have changed the mounting system 3 times in the last 10 to 15 years, not so sure that demonstrates aging myself as much as it demonstrates a great abilty to recall things.

Canon does make great camera gear but their lack of consideration for their customers kind of annoys me. It was like the need to buy a new set of chargers everytime you bought a new phone. It is merely an intentional way to grab the consumer for some extra bucks without giving them any extra value at all.