Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Default Herring Spawn

It's really starting to feel like spring out here on the coast, the first of the crocusus and daphadils are up and most important the herring are looking for a place to lay there eggs! I went out with a few people yesterday and we cut up a very fine mesh net and then zap strapped it together with some PVC pipe and some old commercial fishery lead line and made a VERY effective spawning medium for the herring to broadcast their eggs and milt on. They are then tied to the floating docks so that they raise and lower depending on the tide level. The net in the attached picture was placed a short time ago and is covered with eggs. We also continued with fiber wrap around a lot more of the pilings in the late fall and they are also covered with spawn. In around 3 weeks the eggs will start hatching out and millions of herring will go on to feed absolutely EVERYTHING in the ocean. With herring there will be multiple spawns as new fish keep moving in up until as late as June.
Keep your eyes open in the news again this summer for those feel good shots of whales and dolphins coming into Vancouver harbor and Howe sound and remember it's all because of these little fish. Of course as much as I like whales, I prefer to think about the salmon they are feeding

Last edited by Scott h; 02-09-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 AM

Every little bit helps.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
It's really starting to feel like spring out here on the coast, the first of the crocusus and daphadils are up and most important the herring are looking for a place to lay there eggs! I went out with a few people yesterday and we cut up a very fine mesh net and then zap strapped it together with some PVC pipe and some old commercial fishery lead line and made a VERY effective spawning medium for the herring to broadcast their eggs and milt on. They are then tied to the floating docks so that they raise and lower depending on the tide level. The net in the attached picture was placed a short time ago and is covered with eggs. We also continued with fiber wrap around a lot more of the pilings in the late fall and they are also covered with spawn. In around 3 weeks the eggs will start hatching out and millions of herring will go on to feed absolutely EVERYTHING in the ocean. With herring there will be multiple spawns as new fish keep moving in up until as late as June.
Keep your eyes open in the news again this summer for those feel good shots of whales and dolphins coming into Vancouver harbor and Howe sound and remember it's all because of these little fish. Of course as much as I like whales, I prefer to think about the salmon they are feeding

Cool information and story about the herring