Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Exclamation Minors (PAL)

Does anyone know if a minor can get a pal and purchase ammo and guns?. And if they can transport guns to ranges if they drive themselves.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:11 PM

A minor can't purchase a firearm.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A minor can't purchase a firearm.

Can they transport ?? If they drive by themselves to a range??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 PM

15 years ago I had a minors permit ...A condition added to a PAL
It did allow me to posses, aka hunt with a firearm without adult supervision.
I could not buy guns or ammo.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i...ic-per-eng.htm

"For individuals aged 12 to 17
A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test.
Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor's licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee.

Note
Any of the licences listed above will allow you to possess a firearm and obtain ammunition in Canada. Only the Possession and Acquisition Licence will allow you to acquire or permanently import a firearm."
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB270 View Post
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i...ic-per-eng.htm

"For individuals aged 12 to 17
A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test.
Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor's licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee.

Note
Any of the licences listed above will allow you to possess a firearm and obtain ammunition in Canada. Only the Possession and Acquisition Licence will allow you to acquire or permanently import a firearm."
The law states young people can borrow a firearm but it does not specify the transportation to a range by a minor. Many shooting ranges have young people as active shooters, and a very active group of young shooters. This is a result of implementing a policy of forbidding police to be members of their range.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
The law states young people can borrow a firearm but it does not specify the transportation to a range by a minor. Many shooting ranges have young people as active shooters, and a very active group of young shooters. This is a result of implementing a policy of forbidding police to be members of their range.
Which ranges prohibit Police Officers from becoming members?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default Some Understand Confiscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Which ranges prohibit Police Officers from becoming members?
http://www.nhgc.biz/policeLetter.php
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 AM

I had my minors PAL when I turned 16. most places would not sell ammunition to anyone under 18, except for the small independent sporting goods store. I went waterfowl hunting and deer hunting by myself or my high school buddy without issue. not sure if that has changed now.

The way I read it was once I had my Minors PAL I had the same privileges as a full PAL except for buying and owning and firearm.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I had my minors PAL when I turned 16. most places would not sell ammunition to anyone under 18, except for the small independent sporting goods store. I went waterfowl hunting and deer hunting by myself or my high school buddy without issue. not sure if that has changed now.

The way I read it was once I had my Minors PAL I had the same privileges as a full PAL except for buying and owning and firearm.
Except to hunt as a minor in Alberta you must be accompanied by a parent/guardian or some one over 18 specified by your parent or guardian in writing. The adult accompanying you doesn’t need a Win number, Hunter Ed or a PAL...... this makes zero sense but that’s the law from the Wildlife Act and Regs.

After all at 16 you can drive yourself pretty much anywhere un supervised, yet after having passed Hunters Ed, and taking and passing the CFSC, and getting you Minors PAL, you can’t hunting on your own, but can go plinking un supervised?!?!?

There are no absolutes
Old 09-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Default Minors PAL

Check with firearms instructors.
I have looked into it a while ago for my now 16 year old son, was told he is only able to obtain his POL not PAL until he is 18. he can take the course for POL and later switch to PAL.

Again check with an firearms instructor.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Caliber View Post
Check with firearms instructors.
I have looked into it a while ago for my now 16 year old son, was told he is only able to obtain his POL not PAL until he is 18. he can take the course for POL and later switch to PAL.

Again check with an firearms instructor.
Your instructor knows Butkus.
Or you haven’t asked in quite some time......

POL’s don’t exist anymore, and haven’t for about 5 years maybe a bit longer.
It’s called a Minors Licence.

Every time the topic of a Minor’s Licence comes up on this forum, the amount of pure bull excrement and false information that gets posted, is mind boggling.

Read what the RCMP’s/CFC website has to say, then read the conditions the CFO attaches to the Minor’s Licence(they interview the parents), then read the hunting regulations about youth hunting rules, everything but the specific conditions is on the inter web!

BTW:
I’ve been involved in instructing the CFSC and CRFSC for almost 2 years now, and am vetted as a Proctor with the CFC, just waiting for the powers to be to put on an instructors course.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-08-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:05 PM

Dick 284 is right. The CFC can put on conditions for youth pals. They phoned my nephews parents and tried to put on a pile of bs conditions. Call and letter to the MP of there riding conditions disappeared and if it wasnt for the stupid 18 and over rule in alberta he would be able to hunt on his own. Sooo he can still borrow non restricted firearms and shoot at ranges and gopher hunt as it is not hunting. Strange times we live in.
Lots of mis information out there. Now to get the new environment minister to change 18 to 16 and take the word of weapon in bold out of the hunting regs. We dont use weapons we use firearms, bows and crossbows.
Good luck this fall

Tags
minor pal