Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2024, 03:14 PM

Default Travis's Custom Hooks And Flies

So his ad popped up on my Facebook page and I was really impressed by what I saw. He is based out of Stettler.

Anyone on here buy from him? Or - perhaps he is a member? Just curious as I would never do a purchase based on a Facecrook ad.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:22 PM

Looks like he is airbrushing blanks and fly tying. Looks like clean work
Old 01-18-2024, 11:40 AM

I just place an order from Travis over Christmas.

He seems like a great guy. Quick responses, easy to deal with, and seems very honest, and his work looks great.

I should receive the order any day now. I'll update how the hooks works.

At this point, I would give him a A++
Old 01-18-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I just place an order from Travis over Christmas.

He seems like a great guy. Quick responses, easy to deal with, and seems very honest, and his work looks great.

I should receive the order any day now. I'll update how the hooks works.

At this point, I would give him a A++
Well Mark - if the hooks don’t work is it them or you? I had to throw it out there as it was low hanging fruit

Please let me know if you’re happy with the quality. Good quality products are hard to find and I never have a problem paying for quality.

Tight lines
Old 01-18-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Well Mark - if the hooks don’t work is it them or you? I had to throw it out there as it was low hanging fruit

Please let me know if you’re happy with the quality. Good quality products are hard to find and I never have a problem paying for quality.

Tight lines
What are you looking for?

There is a ton of low volume high quality lure makers out and even more guys painting blanks/tying hooks. The stuff that exists in this market makes a lot of the commercially made products lure like garbage. There is also a lot more versatility action wise. I know guys who make lifelike works of art but they are highly expensive and have a waiting list

Personally I know a lot of guys who build bigger predator lure’s like myself but can find just about anything from the number of lure makers I have helped fix lure action on their prototypes
Old 01-18-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
What are you looking for?

There is a ton of low volume high quality lure makers out and even more guys painting blanks/tying hooks. The stuff that exists in this market makes a lot of the commercially made products lure like garbage. There is also a lot more versatility action wise. I know guys who make lifelike works of art but they are highly expensive and have a waiting list

Personally I know a lot of guys who build bigger predator lure’s like myself but can find just about anything from the number of lure makers I have helped fix lure action on their prototypes
Hi Smoky buck.
Yep lots of fishing stuff that I like.......and lots of stuff that catches fishermen meaning me

I just like trying stuff not the norm for fishing in Alberta. I have a couple lures from a bass guy in Alabama that gets me into the walleye. It would make the purist walleye fisherman break into a cold sweat with a twitching eye. I am always on the lookout of non mass produced products. I have fun looking at small business guys ideas/products.

Dodger.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Hi Smoky buck.
Yep lots of fishing stuff that I like.......and lots of stuff that catches fishermen meaning me

I just like trying stuff not the norm for fishing in Alberta. I have a couple lures from a bass guy in Alabama that gets me into the walleye. It would make the purist walleye fisherman break into a cold sweat with a twitching eye. I am always on the lookout of non mass produced products. I have fun looking at small business guys ideas/products.

Dodger.
Yeah lots of lures cross over to other species very well. As for walleye purist most don’t know how to do much beyond jiggling a minnow or trolling a crank

There is a ton of builders out there so an idea of species targeted and lure styles helps narrow it down. Plus I would like list a bunch of guys who big baits as they are the ones I pay attention more lol

When it comes to guys just painting or building smaller lures I would have to figure out the small business name vs the handle they use on the lure builder pages even.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Some really talented people out there that make great quality lures, just had a few to try off the cuff, got hold of the lure maker and was pleasantly surprised that although they worked what was discussed turned out with a few more being sent to only see a huge improvement.....more to follow

Coiloil sent me stuff that works in Australia to see how they work here, the pike enjoyed the chew but not so much the lakers during open water but going to give them a fair shot during hardwater to see if they can be laker jigging candy but like we discussed not everything works on all species etc but sure is fun trying.

Got a few of smoky bucks lures he sent me like three years ago, moded them a bite but two are chewed to hell and have needed repairs but man they catch pike like no tomorrow

Just got off the phone with the custom lure department (Christine) from Len Thompson, placed an order of custom colours that really work well jigging for lakers, tossing for big gators etc....what I like is they work with you and are extremely pleasant...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2024, 06:52 AM

A fishing pole and a Len Thompson a person can survive anywhere on the planet. What a great AB company.

Dodger.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Some really talented people out there that make great quality lures, just had a few to try off the cuff, got hold of the lure maker and was pleasantly surprised that although they worked what was discussed turned out with a few more being sent to only see a huge improvement.....more to follow

Coiloil sent me stuff that works in Australia to see how they work here, the pike enjoyed the chew but not so much the lakers during open water but going to give them a fair shot during hardwater to see if they can be laker jigging candy but like we discussed not everything works on all species etc but sure is fun trying.

Got a few of smoky bucks lures he sent me like three years ago, moded them a bite but two are chewed to hell and have needed repairs but man they catch pike like no tomorrow

Just got off the phone with the custom lure department (Christine) from Len Thompson, placed an order of custom colours that really work well jigging for lakers, tossing for big gators etc....what I like is they work with you and are extremely pleasant...

Yup you got one of the test batches of cranks. A lot of changes have been made in the last 3 years and a major direction change in lure styles. I don’t even bother with crankbaits anymore and decided to go more specialized. The stuff I make now is much better and no longer build any of those models. But the lures I make now are more niche than trying to appease the average fisherman market

Best thing I did was go to focus on the lure styles I prefer to fish/build and enter the correct market for them. I also stopped doing any custom work and just build batches. No complicated orders just “here is what’s available” or “ next batch will be available in x days”. I only collect a contact list to notify people who missed out on the last batch.

But almost everything is being shipped to eastern Canada or US. Best seller right now is my 8 inch dive & rise jerk bait.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:36 AM

The funny thing is this sucker pattern is probably one of the most popular and the first time I painted this pattern was for the crank bait build along I did on AO years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2024, 08:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yup you got one of the test batches of cranks. A lot of changes have been made in the last 3 years and a major direction change in lure styles. I don’t even bother with crankbaits anymore and decided to go more specialized. The stuff I make now is much better and no longer build any of those models. But the lures I make now are more niche than trying to appease the average fisherman market

Best thing I did was go to focus on the lure styles I prefer to fish/build and enter the correct market for them. I also stopped doing any custom work and just build batches. No complicated orders just “here is what’s available” or “ next batch will be available in x days”. I only collect a contact list to notify people who missed out on the last batch.

But almost everything is being shipped to eastern Canada or US. Best seller right now is my 8 inch dive & rise jerk bait.
Musky/Pike candy

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Musky/Pike candy
Yup big over built lures and designs with actions that stand out.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:59 AM

Will do... but it they don't work..... its most likely me...

Quote:

Tight lines
Old 01-20-2024, 04:14 PM

To everyone wondering about these hooks. Yes I know for a fact he is legit, I make the wire worms with him when I can. He takes pride in every lure he makes. I'm proud to say that he is my brother.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
To everyone wondering about these hooks. Yes I know for a fact he is legit, I make the wire worms with him when I can. He takes pride in every lure he makes. I'm proud to say that he is my brother.
Good stuff. I might be in contact in the near future.

Dodger.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:18 PM

Hope I'm not Hijacking here, but want to give a shout to a couple great members that build some awesome custom lures/baits. Gbuss & Smokey buck. I've had the chance to spend some time with these guys (beers may have been involved). Speaks to value of this community. Couple of great dudes with some serious talent, doing what they love to put a little extra food on the table. I encourage every fisherman to maybe skip one trip to the big box stores and contact these guys. Looking at Travis's work...... think he's going to seperate me from a few hard earned dollars too.