Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Has any one fished Colin lake,AB ?

Hi everyone I'm heading to colin lake with Mikisew sport fishing for the first time. I've been to two other mikisew lakes and they've been fantastic. Just curious if anyone's had the chance to get up there and share some input on the camp , lake and how the fishing was. Everyone in the group is set up with poratable downrigers and we all have good setups for pike. We are heading out July 5th/12 for 5 nights should be an awesome trip!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Default colin lake

we were up there , when mikasu air was shut down.they found us another company to fly us out there. there is one big cabin and 2 small ones ,we were the only ones up there that time so we had the big cabin. hopefully you get it to, cause the others are not the greatest. we had a great time, caught lots of big pike, but only 1 laker. but we did not have downriggers.the boats and motors were good. watch for the rocks!and the bears. nice to have the lake to yourself.showers are good. have a great time!!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:20 PM

I'll be meeting you on the way out! We are there the 12-17. Fished Potts and Wylie before, so it's a new lake for us as well.

Enjoy your trip, I'm counting the days.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Thanks for your input taximan much appreciated. That's great getasheep maybe we can help get you gouts on fish when we checkout . I fished Ryan and charcles lake and both camps were really good. I'm sure we will get the big cabin as Tim's told me before that he doesn't mix up groups just for obvious reasons, we pay the money to be out on a lake with no one else. If you see somebody else out there, they are mostly likely came with you lol. I'm really lookIng forward to nailing some big pike. Something over 20lb would be awesome! Laker fishing is great to I don't think they are going to be a problem to caught with the downrigger and fishfinders. The whole lake burnt last year from a huge forest fire but they saved the camp so hopefully its nice and green this year .
Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 PM

Have fun but watch out for the spiders

http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/heritage...all_Spider.pdf

Steve In GP

Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 AM

Hey taximan the same thing happened to me at charles north camp I Caught the only laker but I wasn't set up for them properly . Actually it was the first time I ever fished lakers and I never had a clue what to do and neither did my buddy that I went with. It was mid August when we went. The pike fishing was great and the group before us did really well. I only tried jigging for them and I hooked One and never had any more luck but at the time I wasn't to interested in them anyway. The underwater rocks were everywhere to. What types of methods did you try on them?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Was there half a dozen yrs ago. Good lake. Early after the spawn the big shallow bay on the ne side is good. Otherwise on the west side there are 2 bays, a bigger and smaller one. The smaller one was pretty good and the southern one has a creek running into in from the next little lake, caught a 25 lber there. You can also go up the creek into the other lake, takes a bit of work, but hammered them in there, called the playpen. Lots of fish, not monsters though. Just good for a couple hrs of catching lots. In the mid east there is a rock pt coming down in the middle where we caught lots of lakers. Mostly earlier though. Not sure bout july. Cabins are pretty sweet. Overall catch fish everywhere, waiting to go back soon!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the info shepherd!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 AM

Anyone been here recently ?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Any lures that were working best ?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Anyone been here recently ?
x2. My crew leaves in 24 days, excited and if anyone has any tips please share. Fishhunterpro has promised to only fish from the shore at camp so the fishing should be great for me!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM

One last refresh to see if anyone has some tips. I think Fishhunterpro leaves soon and my group follows him. Also anyone have a suggestion on brand of fish finder that is portable and easy to use for a flyin trip like this. I've gone twice before and not brought one, but may purchase one this time. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM

I have a lowrance mark 5x portable , I like it do far. We leave Saturday I just met up with Tim the other day and he said make sure to bring bait . Smelts or herring. See you on the way out
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Default Back from the trip

Thanks for all the tips guys it turned out to be a great trip with awesome weather you could ever ask for. Lakers were biting good and the pike were pretty good too. We were caughting lakers consistently in the 4-5lb range . No true lunkers but 2 respectable trout one weighing 15 and 12lb. My biggest was 8lb and a 13lb pike by me was the biggest jack caught. We also caught some nice size pike on are downriggers In the middle of the lake at 45' down I was pretty surprised when we hauled him up from all the way down there. All in all a perfect trip .

My 13lb pike

Friends 12lb 45' down on the rigger

My biggest Trout

Biggest of the Trip

Early morning trolling the glass

Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Looks like a great trip, good for you