Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Brook trout in Dogpound creek

My four year old son went fishing to dogpound creek today we caught the usual 8 to 10" brown trout that are common on this stream. We let our fly swing under a downed tree on the second strip back we have a take and low and behold what do we catch a 10" brook trout a nice surprise to say the least. I have fished this section many times never seen one before. my question is are Brook trout more common nearer the headwaters and can you keep them regs. state 2 browns over 40 cm I believe any info would be great. thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
My four year old son went fishing to dogpound creek today we caught the usual 8 to 10" brown trout that are common on this stream. We let our fly swing under a downed tree on the second strip back we have a take and low and behold what do we catch a 10" brook trout a nice surprise to say the least. I have fished this section many times never seen one before. my question is are Brook trout more common nearer the headwaters and can you keep them regs. state 2 browns over 40 cm I believe any info would be great. thanks
Every brook trout caught out of those creeks should be murdered, but that doesnt mean that it is leagal to do so...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Brook trout numbers increase as you move above Bottrel
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM

I had the exact same experience on the James River and Fallen Timber Creek this weekend.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
You can keep 2. Don't be afraid to eat a brown or 2.. They are all NON NATIVE.. but brookies taste better !
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 PM

the brown I ate out of Dogpound was one of the best trout I had
Old 07-21-2012, 12:24 AM

thanks guys have eaten a few browns out of the dogpound. I prefer brokies myself. Like I said I fish this section 5 to 10 times a year for the last 10 years always above bottrel just never seen one. nice to know that there is a little variety in the dogpound
Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 AM

The trout limit is 2 other than the Browns so any size brookie you could keep up to 2.

Having seen how nasty the brookie population could get in a stream if unchecked (unless you like catching lots of little 4 inchers), I'd highly recommend keeping as many brookies as you are legally allowed. The bonus too is how good they taste!

Having gotten my stewardship licence now, I'm heading tomorrow to the Ghost area to murder all the brookies I can find
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Biggest I have seen is 17 inch out of the dogpound
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM

my biggest out of doggpound was 16 inches last year
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 PM

brokies 17 inches wow that's huge for here in Alberta biggest brown I've caught out of the dogpound was 19"
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM

I'm new to this forum. I live in Ontario (20 years now), but spent most of my life in Calgary. I will be visiting Calgary again soon, so I was scouting out some old haunts for fishing, and came across this forum. Boy, have things changed! Brookies in Dogpound? Biggest is 16" or 17"? I'm going to sound like an old fart now (I am), but we used to get 20" plus browns out of there almost every time we went about 45-50 years ago. There was plenty of public access. One of these posts mentions Bottrel, and I know the area well. How about the stretch closer to that bog lake(Mitchell???).
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Wow I checked out dogpound creek close to madden and cochrane and didn't see a single sign of life. Is there a dam causing a fish trap up or down stream?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Dogpound flows NE from Hwy 22...not headed toward Cochrane. As you go downstream the water starts to get very warm and trout don't like it.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Dogpound flows NE from Hwy 22...not headed toward Cochrane. As you go downstream the water starts to get very warm and trout don't like it.
Ah perfect now I know! Must go further out next time!