Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Default I am surprised

I haven't ever used a tree stand, but I very surprised to hear about how many of you fellows leave them up. I thought you'd be looking for trouble leaving something of value in the woods?
Most of you fellows are always talking about ethics and morals, yet feel it is all right to leave you tree stand up all year long.
I'm not for it or against it, just surprised. FS
Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Kind of a duplicate thread....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=28017&page=5

Sounds like you and BUD might get along.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I haven't ever used a tree stand, but I very surprised to hear about how many of you fellows leave them up. I thought you'd be looking for trouble leaving something of value in the woods?
Most of you fellows are always talking about ethics and morals, yet feel it is all right to leave you tree stand up all year long.
Leaving a treestand in the bush has nothing to do with morals and ethics. And I don't even use the dang things. And really don't care if they leave them there 365 days a year.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
You may not be for or against but you obviously have an opinion on it so lets hear it????

I dont understand your post,is it about the value of a treestand and how does morals and ethics come into play????

I dont think the tree cares
Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Pretty much I agree most on here can agree with the rule you pack it in you pack it out.
But for some reason leaving your tree stand out on public property seems to be alright to do.

I am neither here nor there on it, as long as the thing is in good repair and is removed before it gets into a dangerou state. I see where the original post is heading.

Lets have a good discussion on this subject I am curious myself.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 PM

I guess I'm with Faststeel on this one. I don't use a tree stand either, but given the number of people roaming the woods and guys like Bud, among them, I could never rationalize leaving some expensive gizmo, like a trail camera, out of my sight, for an extended period of time. Sooner or later, some ******* is going to mess with it, or take it home.
Grizz
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 PM

I do leave my tree stands out from about august till december but it is on private land I have permission to hunt on. I don't think anyone else who gets permission on this land would take them. The problem is when those who do not have permission go in and find them, haven't lost one yet though !!
Salty
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Pretty much I agree most on here can agree with the rule you pack it in you pack it out.
But for some reason leaving your tree stand out on public property seems to be alright to do.

I am neither here nor there on it, as long as the thing is in good repair and is removed before it gets into a dangerou state. I see where the original post is heading.

Lets have a good discussion on this subject I am curious myself.
The opinions expressed about this subject are as varied as the people of the world. As soon as you say public the floodgates of how it should be done open wide. The self-righteous condescend. The SI groups rally, and on and on we go. In this case we're talking about tree stands on public turf. Out trot the opinions. It's ok. It's not ok. It's damaging. It's not damaging. Legal. Not legal. It's unsightly. It's not unsightly. MYOB. It is my business. And on and on and on.

The same things are paralleled in the community we live in. The by-law Nazis, for example, and if you will. Ooh! Get rid of those weeds in your lawn, they say! I don't care if you're laid off and can't afford a gardener anymore, those weeds are ruining my view and property value!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...118/story.html

Don't park that big ugly RV on your property. It's unsightly and besides, the shade it casts is killing my begonias. Don't idle your car in your driveway. I can't breathe. Don't try to immortalize your dead kin on my streets and roads with those ghastly crosses and wreaths. It's making me depressed and it's unsightly.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...s-calgary.html

Shovel your sidewalk (I didn't know I owned the sidewalk. I thought the city did. They like it both ways I guess ), even though your away and the city owns it, they say, because I shouldn't have to walk on your ice and snow or pay for clearing it.

We're packed in too tightly for the amount of compassion and 'neighbourlyness' and spirit of community we're capable of. Nobody can live near or tolerate anybody else anymore. Cabin fever on a grand scale. I should be able to drive down the street at any speed I want, they say, because what I'm doing is so important and I have so little time to do it in, that if your kids or kin are unlucky enough to go under my wheels, well, too bad, you shoulda kept 'em inside [ 7 yr. old boy that died in Millarville today, for example].

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...4/8519311.html

People are just getting too darned self-righteous and self-centered and wrapped up in their own self-importance to make a close community.

30 or 40 years ago you wouldn't have had an issue with tree stands. Nobody would have seen it, much less care. Now the woods are crawling with people and guess what? We hear, I don't like your tree stand on the land. I can't sleep and I'm traumatized by the ugliness of it, they say. It's junk in a tree, they say. Well, one man's junk is another man's treasure, I say.

We need a lot more "live and let live", especially if it's no skin off your nose, if we are to avoid being hostage to our own fortune. So, tree stands? Time to "leave and let leave"! Doh! Pun intended.

Last edited by pogo; 02-24-2009 at 11:37 PM.