Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Default The Value of an active trapper

http://www.truthaboutfur.com/blog/va...ctive-trapper/
Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Yep, so many people want to enjoy the outdoors on a long weekend, but have no idea what or who makes it possible for them to do so.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:03 AM

Default trapper

Quaders, enjoy all the open cutlines and trails but never realize it is us old trappers that run chain saws all day to clean-up them for access and build bridges across creeks.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Yes with out trappers we would all be stuck on the roads, just looking at the dangerous, elusive bush wishing we had a gate keeper to allow us into the dark wilds.

I understand trappers importance to history but
There are tons of groups out there that do trail building and maintenance.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Great article! While I doubt trappers maintain ALL trips I believe they do play a significant role in wildlife management and accessibility for the general public. I’ve never trapped myself personally but have an area full of beavers and am thinking of giving it a try this year.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 PM

good article... trappers do so much for us and are wrongly shunned by the general public
Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Yes with out trappers we would all be stuck on the roads, just looking at the dangerous, elusive bush wishing we had a gate keeper to allow us into the dark wilds.

That's true. And trappers are one of those groups.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the link. I only thought they harvested furs.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 PM

That was a good read and as I read the article, I thought how true it is even from when I’m out trapping for local farmers.

Last year his renter had a cow that was down and was very sick. I contacted him and we did what we could, I set some 330’s and then stayed and helped the cow all night and started going back every few hours to help the cow out again. The renter was very thankful considering the price tags of his prized cows. Trappers do help out more then we think.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

I will not speak for Alberta but I can honestly tell you from 35 years of experience it pretty darn lonely out there when you are maintaining trails but sure gets busy when hunting season opens.
Jim
Old 03-31-2018, 11:49 AM
Banned

I think that there are a lot of things that trappers do that are very helpful to landowners. I don't have a trapline but I do contribute to managing populations particularly with beaver and coyotes. There are hundreds of miles of drainage ditches around here that the beaver dam up, causing pasture and roadways to get flooded. It costs the drainage ditch association tens of thousands of dollars to bring in equipment to open up the dams and culverts. Prior to doing that I try to get in to thin the beaver population out so they don't rebuild in a day or two.

Coyotes are a problem as well, not only with killing newborn livestock but also from eating through grain bags. A little trapping helps solve those problems.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:55 PM

What amazes me as an active trapper is how lazy most of the people are that go recreating in my area . If i dont clear the path they dont go there especially in hunting season.My favorite recreators are what i call Bush Pansies the guys in their jeeps that are afraid to get wet or dirty but as the one told me "it's crown land and he can go where he wants" he is correct whether it be right or wrong.I will keep on trapping and enjoying my time out there
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
What amazes me as an active trapper is how lazy most of the people are that go recreating in my area . If i dont clear the path they dont go there especially in hunting season.My favorite recreators are what i call Bush Pansies the guys in their jeeps that are afraid to get wet or dirty but as the one told me "it's crown land and he can go where he wants" he is correct whether it be right or wrong.I will keep on trapping and enjoying my time out there
We were at out on Crown land one year, 15 Klicks as the bird fly's, moose hunting, small trail that went forever about the width of a snow machine or quad, out little Hondas got us out there, we parked and walked in on some real nice areas, saw moose tracks and one set of human tracks, day three we met the fella, a trapper who was enjoying the woods and a little chicken hunting, told us where he had seen a bull...two days later we were loaded down with meat...never got to thank the fella as he was like a ghost, only leaving tracks now and then.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...