Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Default lesser slave river canoe hunt

Has anyone ever done a moose hunt along the lesser slave river from slave lake to smith?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 PM

I believe "Cal" did that hunt.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 PM

Did a spring bear hunt in a canoe in 84, didn't see any moose but we were only on the water for a day. Shot a nice cinnamon.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM

We used to fish that river in our 12 ft alum boats way back when I was a kid and there was a campground on it by Mitsue Lake. Check the regs, the river may be a boundry of two zones if I remember right.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM

Default 2 zones

Yes, the river doen divide the 2 zones and I believe anything is fair game on the north side for zone 511. My main worry is if there will be enough water to make it to smith in september. I"m not real familiar with the river and this is my first canoe hunt. My buddy and I want to get away from all the quad and truck hunting. Not that there is anything wrong with it, we just want to try something a little different.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM

You might want to check the water level a couple weeks before you plan anything this year.Was there last week the river is about three ft below its normal level.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 PM

There shouldnt be a problem with water level but there could be log jams but probably not and its 350 on one side and the 511 on the other. there is a part of the river by an old town called spurfield and the water is low with rapids but nothing crazy. It wouldnt be a bad idea to check the water a few weeks before you go. Its also alot easier to get a draw in 511 then it is in 350.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY262 View Post
Yes, the river doen divide the 2 zones and I believe anything is fair game on the north side for zone 511. My main worry is if there will be enough water to make it to smith in september. I"m not real familiar with the river and this is my first canoe hunt. My buddy and I want to get away from all the quad and truck hunting. Not that there is anything wrong with it, we just want to try something a little different.
I just did a part of that trip yesterday. There were a couple of low water spots, but with a canoe they won't be a problem. Send me a PM if you want to get together. I'm right on the North shore of the river and you will be going by my house.