Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2024, 12:04 PM

Default I phone GPS?

Hi, I’m going on a fly in trip to Cree Lake in Saskatchewan. It has over 800 islands, and it’s very easy to get turned around and lost. Will the GPS on my I phone 15 work in an area like that where there is no wifi signal? I want to drop a pin at the lodge, and be able to find my way back in the evening using my phone. Will that work? Please excuse an old timer who isn’t very tech savvy. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:27 PM

I can only partially answer your question...

If you don't have signal, make sure you download the offline maps of the area before yo leave.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:34 PM

Default I phone GPS

How do I do that?
Old 06-21-2024, 02:09 PM

Rather than me trying to explain it in an internet forum, you're MUCH better off asking Google. Watch a YouTube video.
Old 06-21-2024, 02:36 PM

My android does. Last time I went to Cree I just brought my Garmin and used it.....may as well have all the info as well as gps and mapping.
Old 06-21-2024, 02:42 PM

To download maps on google maps

There is a pink circle in the top right corner

You must be logged in

From there you will see offline maps

Press it and select area and download

It might take a few tries

It will also help when you are near the area to open maps before you go out of service and leave it open. Buy probably not necessary. It’s slower finding you.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:21 PM

You do not need any internet or mobility signal to receive satellite data on your phone gps. As long as you have clear view of the sky you will receive satellite data.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
I can only partially answer your question...

If you don't have signal, make sure you download the offline maps of the area before yo leave.

This! The maps expire (I think after 30 days) so download within a time frame that will be active for your trip.

Excited to see some pics from this trip. I always love seeing the photos from this lake on this forum and hope to visit one day myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2024, 07:38 AM

The downside of using an iPhone as a GPS is also battery life, maps gobble it up. Much simpler to pick up a Garmin GPS which is dedicated to that use. I love mine and always take mine hunting and fishing. Check them out.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-24-2024, 07:27 AM

I used to have various GPS units but started using my phone the last couple years. Like mentioned already, don't need wifi signals. I usually turn the phone on airplane mode and it will last for 2 days. Lots of aps to pick from and many are free. I use it anytime we're doing outdoor activities. Mountain sledding, fishing, etc. Mine is an Android but assume same thing available for I-phone
Old 06-24-2024, 07:43 AM

Another thing I thought I would mention about dedicated GPS is that they are waterproof.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-25-2024, 07:45 AM

I use a combination of both for sledding and outdoors things. Map downloading on the phone works good if you predownload the area. Gaia is a free app with pay functions, I don't pay and works good for saving tracks that you may want to do/see again. Works with no cell service and haven't had any issues with it. Can also share/download others files and overlay them. Youtube helps with this.

Last I always bring my Garmin Montanna 600 with backcountry maps. Yes it's overkill to have a few options but that's just me. The backcountry maps are nice with showing you different trails or cut lines. This would also be the priciest option.

Try Gaia first, free download so if you don't like it no big deal. Either option be sure you know how to use them. Once you have no cell signal or internet isn't the time to learn.