Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 AM

Default Where to go to flip trailer axles?????

Hey guys i bought a trailer and i'm thinking of flipping the axles for some added clearance, just wondering if anyone knows of a place that does good work in edmonton and is reasonably priced??

Has anyone on here did that? How much did it end up costing?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Is there a Standens springs in Edmonton???

Jamie
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM

Default Not that hard

It's not that hard to do for yourself. You will need to get new spring mounts welded to the top of the axle (a shop like McCoys or any bigger trailer shop can do this). Make sure that the axle is cambered upwards when you are done, just inverting the existing axles is a real bad idea. Make sure the axle tubes are in good shape, they commonly rust out if they are older...a couple of hits with a ball pein hammer will tell you their condition. I recommend you don't re-use the hardware, new stuff is not expensive. Whatever you do, get the proper hardware, stuff from Canadian Tire or Rona will not work.

If you are not up to it, most RV shops can do this as well. Doing it yourself might take an entire day if you count time to drive to a shop for the welding and your own time for a bearing repack/brake cleaning.

Zeke
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrmaf View Post
Hey guys i bought a trailer and i'm thinking of flipping the axles for some added clearance, just wondering if anyone knows of a place that does good work in edmonton and is reasonably priced??

Has anyone on here did that? How much did it end up costing?
I've gotten great service, and reasonable prices at City Spring on the Southside, although it's been a few years since I've used them.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM

Totem Welding 780-453-1836, allot of the RV Companies take their work to them.

Bruce.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Dont flip axles. They are pre-bent to take load like a leaf spring.

Do it properly and have a fabrication shop create new mounts. Depending on how the trailer is designed you might be able to do a "spring over", which would require some different mounting hardware.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Default Axles

I should have made myself clear I do intend on not actually flipping but mounting under the springs and I have access to a fabrication shop that can weld the brackets to the top of the axles no problem I was just concerned with alligning everything as I heard that the tandem axles need to be properly alligned or the tires will wear unevely
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM

McCoy Bros in Edmonton south side does a good job for a reasonable price, know many people who have had it done. The only consideration is the size of trailer that you are doing this to and the truck you are towing with can change the towability to some degree. The term flip the axles is used but you actually leave the axles in their current position but lift the trailer to put the springs on top of the axle instead of the under slung mode that they currently installed. Lifts the trailer height by approx 5". PM if you want any other tips.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM

when we built my quad trailer,we flipped the axle for the clearance and now I'm wearing the inside of my tires bad.I think I'll need to find a different axle and replace it to solve the problem.

timba
Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Mcoys did my 17 ft 76 travellaire 15 yrs ago, great job, lots of clearence and no tire wear. Timba is it possible the arc in your axle is now upside down. The arc is supposed to be on the top so that when weight is added the axle comes down and tires wear even. Just askin cause a friend flipped his sled trailers axles and when I followed him it was obvious he had it the wrong way and the tires were running on the outer edges.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Mcoys did my 17 ft 76 travellaire 15 yrs ago, great job, lots of clearence and no tire wear. Timba is it possible the arc in your axle is now upside down. The arc is supposed to be on the top so that when weight is added the axle comes down and tires wear even. Just askin cause a friend flipped his sled trailers axles and when I followed him it was obvious he had it the wrong way and the tires were running on the outer edges.
Ya the arc of the axle is upside down,at the time we built the trailer we didn't want fenders on it and turned it to give the tires the clearance from the deck not thinking it would make a difference.
but I'm finding now its really wearing the inside of the tires bad.I can flip it but the would have to lift the deck 6" or so to have the tires clear.I'll have to fix it right becasue I want to sell it and build a 16 foot

timba
Old 05-31-2024, 01:11 PM

Resurrecting the old thread, looks Like McCoy Bros is still the place to go for this. They are a lot more economical than the other places I called.

LC
Old 05-31-2024, 01:20 PM

My shop uses Alberta Spring and Trailer. We've been dealing with Johnny for 30+ years, and he has NEVER steered us wrong. I'd use him/them, personally.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:59 PM

I had to replace mine when I did it and was considering flipping it, instead City Spring suggested going to a straight axle. It was the perfect height, flipped seems like too much a lot of the time.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:09 PM

Another vote for Alberta Spring & Trailer - have had 3 trailer axles flipped by Johnny (great workmanship)
Old 05-31-2024, 07:33 PM

Once done, it's a good idea to take the trailer in for wheel alignment.
My cargo trailer was quite a ways out.