Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Dry Ice for Coolers?

Looking for some info on dry ice. We just did a 5 night trip to Revelstoke, and before we went, I was thinking about the idea of using dry ice in the coolers to keep things colder, but I know nothing about it, and I didn't want to mess around with it with no info.

I have a couple of Budget Coleman Coolers. Would dry ice work in this?

Is the cost more efficient than buying a couple bags of ice every two days to replenish the ice in the coolers?

What are the dangers of using dry ice, if any? Coolers are kept inside the SUV while towing the tent trailer.

Are there any precautions to take when using dry ice for cooling?

I believe I remember seeing some guys using dry ice to transport fish from the coast back to Alberta.

Thanks for any info you may have!

Jeff
Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 AM

Dry ice is frozen Carbon Dioxide (CO2) , very safe except very cold on skin. Most is available from larger companies, try Google for locations. Very effective for longer term cooling, way to bring Salmon from Alaska.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 AM

Will be heading home next week to Manitoba this could be a good idea as I'm bringing a bunch of elk meat home, anyone know where to buy this around Edmonton I've looked online and it seems to be all commercial places

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 09:04 AM

I have large liquid discharge CO2 tank that I use for intentional pipe freezing to form ice plugs to facilitate repairs where valves might not be holding (or even present). I have two different tool kits that have either hinged plastic collars or rubberized canvas bags that wrap around the pipe and form dry ice collars around the pipe, which freezes the contents inside. I can use the process to hold back full city water pressure (or greater). With using dry ice in a cooler I would caution to air out a vehicle or trailer well if the cooler has been in there for a period of time, just to ensure you’re not creating an oxygen-deprived atmosphere. You can get dry ice from Liquid Air/ Linde.

I’m planning on getting some dry ice for an upcoming camping trip myself, the quantity to get will be a bit of a guessing game. Perhaps the supplier or other members may have input on how long certain weights of dry ice lasts. I usually only have small quantities following pipe freezing operations, but it’s usually fun to play with.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:06 AM

Dry ice can freeze whatever is in your cooler, not just keep the contents cold, unless you separate and insulate your food from the ice. Dry ice will evaporite quickly if the cooler is not sealed with tape.

Ideally you would put frozen food into a cooler and maintain it in a frozen state with dry ice in a sealed cooler.

I did this on hunts years ago and it will keep food frozen for many days.

It will burn your skin if contact is long enough.

I wouldn't use it if the cooler will be opened and closed repeatedly as the ice will evaporite quickly.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:13 AM

Here’s a place in Calgary that sells it

https://calgarydryice.com/

It works great in a cooler, even a cheap cooler should keep things frozen for 4/5 days the fall temperatures. I used to be able to get it free at work, most food big suppliers make their own now. Sysco, Gordon’s etc. I’m not sure if they’ll sell to the public, if you know someone you’ll be able to get a box of it easily.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Here’s a place in Calgary that sells it

https://calgarydryice.com/

It works great in a cooler, even a cheap cooler should keep things frozen for 4/5 days the fall temperatures. I used to be able to get it free at work, most food big suppliers make their own now. Sysco, Gordon’s etc. I’m not sure if they’ll sell to the public, if you know someone you’ll be able to get a box of it easily.

I’ve had dry ice in the cooler for over a week it kept everything frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 11:03 AM

It’s readily available at grocery stores in the states for some reason. We’ve used it a number of times and it’s pretty slick. You place it either above or below the stuff in your cooler depending on what you’re trying to achieve. Above it to keep things frozen and underneath to keep things cold I believe. One of the major benefits of dry ice is it doesn’t make everything in the cooler wet as it evaporates.
In Edmonton we got some before at Igloo ice over by the old muni airport. Not sure they’re still there but maybe glacier ice does the same thing?
Old 07-29-2021, 11:20 AM

Got tired of messing with coolers, ice, dry ice etc. Got a small 4 cubic foot freezer, rides in the back of a half ton or SUV very easily. Plug it into the car inverter when travelling, plug it into the hotel when you stop. Meat stays frozen no matter what the temp or how many days you are travelling. If that isn't an option, then dry ice is better than regular ice. On top of meat, stays frozen, under stuff keeps it really cold. Keep a window cracked if it is inside the vehicle. Wear gloves when handling it, or wrap it in newspaper. It is REALLY cold and doesn't take long to frost bite bare skin. Other than venting the CO2 off gas and cold, it is perfectly safe.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:36 PM

Dry ice is available retail at some Praxair, Linde, Air Liquide stores. Praxair store on 50th street in Edmonton is one location for sure.

Dry ice keeps stuff FROZEN. It lives at about -80C. It may crack your coolers. It will freeze your beer solid rapidly. There are online guides for recommended uses/amounts/timelines. It’s not good for keeping carrots, humus, and juice chilled!

Dry ice is COLD. It will give you frostbite burns from touching it. Wear gloves. Don’t let kids touch it.

Dry ice will turn to CO2 gas. The cooler shouldn’t ride with you in your vehicle, or be stored inside. Breathing elevated CO2 levels will make you pass out. A tightly sealed container of dry ice could explode.

Lots of use cases where dry ice makes sense, but often using homemade blocks of ice to pre-freeze your coolers and freezing/chilling everything before you go makes more sense than the hassle and expense. Using really cold ice is better than wet, warmer ice if you can find it. Blocks for are better for cold retention.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:15 PM

Some coolers crack under dry ice. Plastic isn’t always rated for the dry ice. Direct contact can be a problem.

Read the manufacturers rating.

Years ago we used tons of dry in in coolers for work. They lasted a season.

Another thing for consideration is dry ice evaporating into a car with recirculating AC may build CO2 levels. Concern on a long haul.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-29-2021, 02:05 PM

Buy a Yeti.