Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2024, 04:15 PM

Default Fishing NSR - near DEvon area

Hello

I am staying the next couple months near Devon and somewhat close to the NSR.

I would like to try some fishing there, but not sure exactly what to use for lures/bait.

Only fishing I have really done is for walleye in a lake on a boat - basically drift fishing with jogs.

I am looking for suggestions on what type of lures to use when fishing the river. I imagine jogs with the weighted heads might not be my best option? (likely get stuck in the rocks on the river bed).

I would love any opinions/suggestions. Im guessing I might even need a stronger rod, and maybe stronger line?

TIA
Old 06-10-2024, 04:34 PM

Fishing the other day on NSR downstream. Utilized a white jig head. Caught a few walleye and pike. Just behind slow eddy. Cast into eddy. Boom. Fish on. Others were using hooks, worms, and 3-way swivel, weights (2-3oz). Catching walleye, NP, goldeye. Good luck
Old 06-10-2024, 04:51 PM

Thank you very much! I also need to get some rods (me and the kids - 3 total) and some gear (lures). Ive always fished with my father or other family and they always had the rods/lures....never really had any of my own.

Im open to suggestions on a non-expensive rod/reel combo.....and maybe best place to go buy the rods/lures. Dont need the most expensive ones......but something that will work on the river.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2024, 08:09 AM

You’re gonna get hung up on the bottom in the NSR no matter what you use. So I use cheapest thing that catches fish. 1/4 ounce jig head with 3” mister twister curly tails. Black or white ones work for me. Pick mine up at Can.Tire in packages cheap.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:40 PM

Thank you!