Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2023, 09:33 AM

Default Alberta Electricity Export Application AlbertaEx L.P.

https://classifieds.calgaryherald.co...D63AUFkg03BB3A

This was in the Legal & Tender Notice sections of the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald. Posting this on a Saturday of a long weekend is usually a gov't tactic to fly under the radar and check off the boxes for public engagement.

During the province wide heat wave this week, the System operator was warning of excessive demand and requested consumers reduce the load on the power grid.

This application is to export up to 2,000,000 Mega Watt hours annually for a ten year period via the line to Great Falls.

This is way above my pay grade, trying to rationalize the cautionary information from the system operator during a relatively minor surge in power consumption, and now this application for export. Anyone in the know?
Old 09-03-2023, 11:31 AM

Its called kicking the can down the road while we try to get money to balance the books and we will deal with the consequences at a later date. Not like we can just build more power generation in a year. Maybe Montana should generate its own power to distribute to California and face the regulatory hurdles and emissions. Maybe convert Ted Turners and other TV stars ranches into solar farms.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:36 AM

Now add 100,000 or even 2,000,000 evo vehicles to this.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:43 AM

Default Solar Power?

I saw this too and the op is right about the government's motives. I suspect that they can generate lots of wind and solar power but they haven't thought of a way to store it...just sell it to Montana for what ever they can get.

Stay tuned!
Old 09-03-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I saw this too and the op is right about the government's motives. I suspect that they can generate lots of wind and solar power but they haven't thought of a way to store it...just sell it to Montana for what ever they can get.

Stay tuned!
Solar and wind power are not reliable, and the technology doesn exist to store wind or solar power, for high demand periods, so both have very limited value to Alberta.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:58 AM

Now we know why the two 500KV DC power lines were built. They were not built to supply us necessary power during peak load but built to export power to Uncle Sam for real American $$. Turn off your air conditioners.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:06 PM

I don't know if this is a one-of application or just the renewal and/or increase to an existing permit. Alberta's instantaneous/live power usage can be seen here.

http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market...DReportServlet

I've been checking regularly on this site for over two years.

The import/export status is show upper right. Right now, it is an export, but for much of the past two years, we have been regular importers.

When you look at the Generation summary, it does appear we are not running our much of the system at capacity (19,711 MW capacity with 9,847 MW total net generation), but much of our total; installed capacity today is not always available (cogen - private industry, hydro - water levels, solar - sun, wind - wind).

If I were guessing, this might be an attempt to run the system at a higher capacity (lower unit cost) and generate export revenues to pay for system enhancement/upgrade with the anticipated boom in EVs. Or am I just giving our government too much credit for thinking of Albertans first?

Vic
Old 09-03-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Stay tuned!
Scuttlebutt for years has been that the proposed transmission line has already been built, under false pretenses, my Leftie Buddy keeps reminding me. I did some work for the company that built it, Americans from Montana.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 09-03-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:23 PM

One of those DC lines is just 1/2 mile from me. Those two lines are like arrows pointed at Montana and from what I read one time are being paid for by Albertans through hidden fees on our power bills. I'm sure the power companies are lobbying the UCP to have them run at full capacity to generate huge profits, once Albertans also pay for power generation infrastructure to supply the power. I remember reading that the Southern family was investing its money in natural gas fields in Australia while these lines were being built.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:12 PM

Default Berkshire Hathaway Energy

Amazing how much the famous investors company is involved in this. https://www.blg.com/en/about-us/deal...berta-tie-line. Also an older article from Financial Post while NDP were in power - https://financialpost.com/commoditie...pped-like-rats.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:59 PM

Default Storing Solar power

If you have reservoirs like BC has you can pump water back up into the lake when you have too much power and let the water out through the generators when you need it. It works great and no batteries required. So buy cheap power from good old Alberta, and sell it back at a very nice profit.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
If you have reservoirs like BC has you can pump water back up into the lake when you have too much power and let the water out through the generators when you need it. It works great and no batteries required. So buy cheap power from good old Alberta, and sell it back at a very nice profit.
You say that it works great, what is the efficiency of doing this? How much electricity is produced by the turbines, compared to the energy required to construct and maintain the solar operated pumping system, and the generating system?
Old 09-03-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage Point View Post
Amazing how much the famous investors company is involved in this. https://www.blg.com/en/about-us/deal...berta-tie-line. Also an older article from Financial Post while NDP were in power - https://financialpost.com/commoditie...pped-like-rats.
The graph showing the transmission rates in US states and Alberta are eye popping. As usual we get suckered. What I deplore is that the profits go state side.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:55 PM

Premier Danielle Smith: "Albertans must be able to turn on their lights, furnaces and A/C when they need it. They also need to be able to afford the electricity they use. To do this we need more natural gas generation brought online asap while we develop and implement nuclear, hydrogen, geothermal and other emerging technologies that can provide the base load power we need by 2050. Ottawa’s 2035 net zero regs will make this impossible to achieve. That is why our UCP government won’t let this terrible federal plan be implemented here."
Old 09-03-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Premier Danielle Smith: "Albertans must be able to turn on their lights, furnaces and A/C when they need it. They also need to be able to afford the electricity they use. To do this we need more natural gas generation brought online asap while we develop and implement nuclear, hydrogen, geothermal and other emerging technologies that can provide the base load power we need by 2050. Ottawa’s 2035 net zero regs will make this impossible to achieve. That is why our UCP government won’t let this terrible federal plan be implemented here."
For most of us, delivery charges are a major factor in our power bills, I haven't heard how she plans to deal with that.

Grizz

Old 09-03-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Why not just charge up all the EVs. Becomes more efficient the more you have.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Amazing how brain dead our leaders really are. power already went up 128 percent and your worried about us being able to turn it on, give your head a shake women it's f ing redicoulous
Old 09-04-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
Amazing how brain dead our leaders really are. power already went up 128 percent and your worried about us being able to turn it on, give your head a shake women it's f ing redicoulous
Just cancel your Disney channel and you'll be OK.

Grizz

Old 09-04-2023, 08:52 AM

We can thank the NDP for prematurely shutting down coal and messing with the power purchase contracts, the reason rates and delivery fees are high. Smith is stuck cleaning up the mess and we pay.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Can you imagine how much energy would be needed to power a gigantic pump to get the economy of scale and move enough water uphill to then flow it back down and make power?

Fun thought but highly impractical. If one is using power in this way then there is a massive waste of power, horrible power grid management and terrible split of power generation types happening.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-04-2023, 09:07 AM

Default Not as expensive as you may think

If the pumps are at water level and the pumps are not so large as they need lots of power it can work. Remember long before electricity windmills pumped water all the time.
The rub with wind and solar power is what do you do when you have too much?
If you can think of new solutions, your fortune is made!
Old 09-04-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
We can thank the NDP for prematurely shutting down coal and messing with the power purchase contracts, the reason rates and delivery fees are high. Smith is stuck cleaning up the mess and we pay.
I agree with that to a point but Kenney is partly responsible as well making the decision to remove the electricity caps before he left.
We’re all paying for that decision now as well IMO.
Who would have thought the electricity companies would charge more with the caps removed?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...E&opi=89978449
Old 09-04-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If the pumps are at water level and the pumps are not so large as they need lots of power it can work. Remember long before electricity windmills pumped water all the time.
Not saying that it can't work, just that it would be so inefficient, as to not be worth the effort. Windmills pump water, but the volume is low by today's standards.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I agree with that to a point but Kenney is partly responsible as well making the decision to remove the electricity caps before he left….

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...E&opi=89978449
The tax payer ends up paying for caps.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yup, partially through rates and delivery fees I suspect.
Crappy deal either way for Albertan’s like usual…..
Old 09-04-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The people on the regulated rate, are paying crazy rates now to make up the differences.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:27 AM

Old 09-04-2023, 10:41 AM

Pumping water uphill to run turbine sounds like a "Perpetual motion machine" just start it and it runs forever. O my gosh!
Old 09-04-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not saying that it can't work, just that it would be so inefficient, as to not be worth the effort. Windmills pump water, but the volume is low by today's standards.
That's the bug in the ointment with most of these schemes, no such thing as perpetual motion, inefficiency is a fact of Life and cumulative, the further down the work plan you go. From Neil de Grasse Tyson, tough to argue with that.

Grizz

Old 09-04-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
It’s about scale and efficiency.

This one is 11 m3/s

https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc...comox-dam.html

How much energy would it take to move that volume uphill back into the reservoir?

Windmills in the past used to bring water up from aquifers for irrigation purpose is not the same as pumping 11 m3/s of water.

An efficient battery storage breakthrough may come some time. But energy waste under a green pretext is still waste.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin