Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2022, 05:35 PM

Default RIP legends sturgeon hole

https://fortsaskonline.com/articles/...s-the-go-ahead

To be honest I’m shocked with the status of sturgeon in AB and the prevalence at this spot it still got the go ahead.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
https://fortsaskonline.com/articles/...s-the-go-ahead

To be honest I’m shocked with the status of sturgeon in AB and the prevalence at this spot it still got the go ahead.
It’ll just shift where they hang out. If anything, it’ll push them into different parts of the river and prevent them from getting caught - which is a big source of mortality.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:42 PM

The city better hope the river never rises 40 feet again or all these foot bridges will be a big waste of money.

The sturgeon won't be that displaced. The construction phase is a very narrow strip across the river. Once finished I could see the foundation pillars creating new eddies and current breaks that can hold fish.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-29-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The city better hope the river never rises 40 feet again or all these foot bridges will be a big waste of money.

The sturgeon won't be that displaced. The construction phase is a very narrow strip across the river. Once finished I could see the foundation pillars creating new eddies and current breaks that can hold fish.
Given the flow of the river I think we will end up with another "accidental beach" on the east bank. Its already quite shallow there. At least anyone on the bridge will have a nice view of the washed up condoms, needles and disposable masks.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-29-2022, 01:28 PM

Its gotten noticeably busier with people who didnt even know the keyhole existed before,since they built that trail all the way from Sherwood Park. More people with dogs in the water. Gets busy nearly everyday by noonish. The bridge will just make it more so. But it will be nice for those who dont fish for sure. Gotta say the darwings make it look nice.