Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Default what brand of automatic powder dispenser do you have??

So I,m going to buy an automatic powder dispenser,
was looking for some input as what brands everyone is using, pro,s and cons on each brand,
does any one have an ISD smartreloader powder dispenser , or a hornady or a pact ???
what other brands besides Lyman and RCBS and the ones I mentioned is there????
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

I have the Lyman Dps3 and the RCBS Chargemaster. Rcbs way faster, never have any over or under charges with it. Lyman is slower, sometimes tends to overthrow once in awhile. Hornady is way too slow for me, slower than the Lyman i have noticed. I like the fact on the rcbs you can tweak the setpoints. Rcbs way easier to empty powder out. Everyone has there opinion but for me its the rcbs no question.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

Go green.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a Lee Perfect, and a Layman 55.
I'm not impressed with the Layman.

So I use the Lee 90% of the time. It's easy to set, easy to clean out, but on the slow side. Accuracy is good, and it's cheap to buy.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 PM

RCBS Chargemaster
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Hornady autocharge. Works great, no issues. occaisionally overcharges (about 1 in every 10 to 15, but warns you by beeping and message) with IMR 4064 as it is quite long grained. No issues at all with 4895 or H1000. I would assume that the others have the same experience with long extruded powders.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 AM

I don't use automatics for the most part.
I use a Harrel, two Lyman 55's, and a lee, all mechanical measures.
Cat
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Go green.
X2....I like mine.

LC
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Rcbs is the tits.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Got an RCBS chargemaster for my hunting rifles and working up loads insmall batches. Use the hornady lock'n'load ap for larger batches. Check the powder throw every 50 or so on the digital scale of the chargemaster. The hornady works very well. The plungers are cheap enough to have one for every load and they change out in less than a minute. Once they're set, they stay there.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM

I use a manual powder measure. It's an RCBS uniflow but I have swapped in a micrometer adjustment screw. It is very fast and accurate. For practice rounds it's all I use. For any kind of hunting load, I still trickle the last few flakes to get the exact charge. I have used the Lyman digital system and I know that even with trickling, my manual set up is faster and just as accurate.

My point is that you don't have to go digital to go fast. The money you save can be put towards other "needs". When I added the micrometer screw to my Uniflow measure it set me back about $40.

On the other hand, I have to admit to having no experience with the RCBS or Hornady digital units.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 PM

The RCBS chargemaster is the best of the bunch. RCBS stands behind their products too.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Lyman DPSII w/ speed upgrade. Works great. I've used it to load thousands of rounds, and it's still going strong. I also use a JDS Quick Measure when loading in bulk. Both work great.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM

Another RCBS Chargemaster owner here.
I bought it in 2007 and havent had a single problem with it in over 10,000 dispenses.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Default new hornady

I just got a new hornady last week and it works great. I have been busy with a variety of calibers all weekend. Saw them in a Cabelas flyer of $199, heck of a buy. FS
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Chargemaster!!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Default hard to beat Natchez prices

I reload in waves so might make 300 rounds of 270 or 30-06 one year and none for 5 or 10 years.
Only things I reload regularly are 223 and 22-250 with 243 about every 2 or 3 years and like Cat I have manual Lyman 55 and Redfield powder measures for each of those calibres I never change the charge on so I have been having a tough time justifying the expense of a digital electronic scale/powder measure.

Sure some of the long powders (IMR 4350) dont measure well but I seldom replace/reload more than 50 at a time so do exact trickler measurements for each case.

Just looked at Natchez Reloading out of the US and for $279. for the RCBS Chargemaster combo I am having trouble not buying it.
I have heard shipping to Canada is only $30. to your door. Might have to order one.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

I have owned both the RCBS Chargemaster and the Hornady Lock n load dispenser. I still have the Hornady and sold the RCBS.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I have owned both the RCBS Chargemaster and the Hornady Lock n load dispenser. I still have the Hornady and sold the RCBS.
Besides changing all your gear out to Hornady this year, did you ever actually have any issue with the RCBS dispenser?

I have read a ton of online reports which say both of these are pretty equal dispensers. Anything I have read didn't put one above the other.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM

I had both the RCBS the the Lyman DPS3. Sold both and went back to throwing charges with my Lyman 55s. Of the two, I liked the Lyman better, it was faster, better with long grain powders and the electronic scale was more accurate than the one on the RCBS. The RCBS was easier to clean.

The powder throwers are WAY faster than either of the electrics. The only way to load faster is to go to a progressive press, and that only makes sense for the high volume rounds that can use easy to meter powders like Benchmark, Lil'Gun or 8208. If you have to load big stick powder, the thrower and a trickler is hard to beat for accuracy and speed.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I had both the RCBS the the Lyman DPS3. Sold both and went back to throwing charges with my Lyman 55s. Of the two, I liked the Lyman better, it was faster, better with long grain powders and the electronic scale was more accurate than the one on the RCBS. The RCBS was easier to clean.

The powder throwers are WAY faster than either of the electrics. The only way to load faster is to go to a progressive press, and that only makes sense for the high volume rounds that can use easy to meter powders like Benchmark, Lil'Gun or 8208. If you have to load big stick powder, the thrower and a trickler is hard to beat for accuracy and speed.
Really you think?....I found that while I was seating a bullet in a case I had just put powder in, the ChargeMaster was already weighing the next charge....

Prior to that I used a throw and a trickler but I think the ChargeMaster is still faster.....just my opinion.

I weigh Varget, IMR 4831, and H4831 in mine without any issues on accuracy....

LC
Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Lefty

If you are loading big kernnel powder in hunting looads, and fairly small load volumes I think you might have a point, If you drop and seat, sort of progressive loading style, you probably are right that the Chargemasters/DPs speed up the process. I tend to throw 200-500 charges into cases for my high volume rounds, then seat the same number. In that model, I can go from case to case charging much faster with a thrower. These cases typically use thrower friendlier powders.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM

so i just bought 2
Lyman 1200 DPS 3 Digital Powder Scale and Dispenser Systems,
on Ebay, including shipping I paid $118.00 each I,m thinking this was not to bad of a deal , what do you all think??