Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Default So if I theoretically don;t have guns registered..

Are the police in Alberta going to actively pursue me-charge me?

I heard quite a while back that the Alta gov't has instructed its attourney general not to prosecute any and all gun registry violations... then I read in the news tday:

'Because provinces and territories are allowed to opt out, “we now have a situation where a criminal law is unevenly applied as the western provinces will not prosecute those who do not register their long guns,” Mr. Bevington wrote. '

Where does the enforcement of this law stand right now in Alberta?

Just in case I decide to engage in a little civil disobedience....

Does anyone know?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Actually, if you don't register, the police won't know you have a gun, unless you commit a crime with it.

But posting the fact on a public internet site is not a very good move.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
Actually, if you don't register, the police won't know you have a gun, unless you commit a crime with it.
Or get pulled over while the gun is in your vehicle.... or while out hunting... Lots of opportunities. A few members mention being asked for the licence in the past.

Not sure how the current amnesty plays into this. Personally I'm not up for finding out.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Or get pulled over while the gun is in your vehicle.... or while out hunting... Lots of opportunities. A few members mention being asked for the licence in the past.

Not sure how the current amnesty plays into this. Personally I'm not up for finding out.
but isn't what teh OP is trying to point out, that the Gov of AB has said we will not charge our citizens?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
but isn't what teh OP is trying to point out, that the Gov of AB has said we will not charge our citizens?
They could still seize the firearm and hold it until you have registered it.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Default yah... I still wanna know

I think Manitoba has a similar stance (I don;t wanna move there!)

And I didn't admit to nothin... I'm talking hypothetically here.. I'm all registered up. I never break the law.... nope, color me all law abidin and such. yup yup....
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Under Sections 91 and 92 of the criminal code of canada you can go to jail for 10 years with out a licence.

The law is federal, not provincial, so the alberta government has no say in the matter.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
True, they baby sat one for me for a couple days one time.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Default F&W,RCMP,bylaw

I've been pulled over by F&W,Rcmp & Bylaw with firearms in my vehicle.(mostlyceckstops)they plainly see the gun in the case on the passenger seat and not once they asked me for my Firearms licence or checked the gun registration certificate.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I've been pulled over by F&W,Rcmp & Bylaw with firearms in my vehicle.(mostlyceckstops)they plainly see the gun in the case on the passenger seat and not once they asked me for my Firearms licence or checked the gun registration certificate.
I have been asked for proof of registration by RCMP,during a combined RCMP/F&W checkstop.F&W don't really seem to care about the federal gun control regulations.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
sheephunter

I got asked for my registration certificates by a commercial vehicle inspection guy a few weeks ago in BC. He never asked for my PAL though....weird.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I got asked for my registration certificates by a commercial vehicle inspection guy a few weeks ago in BC. He never asked for my PAL though....weird.
Though I suppose you couldn't have your name on the certificates without being legally entitled to own them, so no point asking to see the PAL, no? If the certificates were in someone else's name and you said you were borrowing, then he (or I) would want to see your PAL.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Though I suppose you couldn't have your name on the certificates without being legally entitled to own them, so no point asking to see the PAL, no?
There is no name on registration certificates. Just numbers.

I figured his next question was going to be if they trigger locked...thankfully he didn't ask.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
x2 Never been asked for anything but wildlife cert buy both f&w and RCMP. and check to see if gun is unloaded
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Default So I think we all wanna know...

It seems alot of us are in the same boat.

Is there anyone on this board that can verify if the AG has made such a directive (no prosecute)? From some of the stories here... it sounds like it.

perhaps we should all do some digging and posting.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There is no name on registration certificates. Just numbers.

I figured his next question was going to be if they trigger locked...thankfully he didn't ask.
Ah, guess I haven't looked carefully lately. But that does seem odd. Imagine your vehicle registration with no owner's name on it.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

I've had my firearms checked a couple of times but never asked to produce a PAL or registration certificate in Alberta
Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM

My understanding was that SRD Officers or Conservation Officers rarely/never will, but that Police are likely to ask.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Default And thats how rediculous the registry is...

Take my latest rifle... all I have so far is the reg # card from the prev owner. No names or anything else. Seems to me the cops would have to take the reg number and run it through the computer to find out.

I've phoned in the transaction, and apparently he has to complete the transfer (if I understand it correctly)....

this isn't gonna happen as the guy said, while he did originally register it, he can't be bothered to finish the transfer.

... so im a criminal now b/c of someone else's actions?

seems to me.. (though I'd never never dream of doing it) it'd be a simple task to photoshop up a bunch o registration cards...... just sayin here...

I'll be honest here... what I'm worried about is an enforcement blitz to 'regain respect for the law'..... That's really what prompted me to pose this question.

I may have some friends that might be at risk... but not me, being all about following the law and law abidin and such.

I never jaywalk either.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM
sheephunter

He actually has to initiate the transfer...you complete it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:30 PM

The alberta government leaves the option open to charge someone who has unregister guns or a person who is unlicensed while in possession of a gun.

if you are cought doing something else illegal while breaking gun laws you could expect to be charged.

if you are a good citizen and are just to lazy to go get licensed or registered (it's not hard) then they would probably leave you alone.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Either party can initiate the transfer, but at some point the seller has to talk to them.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That is exactly what happens. Know 2 different people it has happened to. Rifle is seized till proof of registration is shown, then firearm is returned. That is the whole point of the amnesty, no criminal charges, so really, is it worth registering or just take the chance?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldelamont View Post
The alberta government leaves the option open to charge someone who has unregister guns or a person who is unlicensed while in possession of a gun.

if you are cought doing something else illegal while breaking gun laws you could expect to be charged.

if you are a good citizen and are just to lazy to go get licensed or registered (it's not hard) then they would probably leave you alone.
So then, If i lend a friend a rifle, we are walking in the bush a few hundred yds apart, he is not registered, (no PAL) that is a crime? What if I am walking with him and he does not have a PAL?
Just asking< i will do the homework before NOvember just seems y'all seems to know the law.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
So then, If i lend a friend a rifle, we are walking in the bush a few hundred yds apart, he is not registered, (no PAL) that is a crime?
That would probably result in charges being laid against both people,him for not having a PAL or POL,and you for lending him the gun.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldelamont View Post

Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
this isn't gonna happen as the guy said, while he did originally register it, he can't be bothered to finish the transfer.
Lol. Unless you know this guy personally (as in family, or really good friend) and he/she really trusts you, it seems odd to me someone would leave themselves open to such a liability.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 PM

Default Registered Guns

So if you have a gun registered do you actually have to carry the certificate with you while out hunting or shooting ect. I thought were supposed to keep it at home in a safe place.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
So if you have a gun registered do you actually have to carry the certificate with you while out hunting or shooting ect. I thought were supposed to keep it at home in a safe place.
You need to have it with you,so that you can present it to an officer if he asks to see it.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
You need to have it with you,so that you can present it to an officer if he asks to see it.
hmm, good to know there Elk Hunter, gonna have to dig mine up I guess an carry it.

If anyone hunts the 502, 501, an 514, they are gonna ask for the firearm to inspect an check to verify its registered. Happened last year or year before cant remeber exactly but hey happens when yur half way to 54 hehe But dont give him the bolt or key to unlock it